Nintendo Switch Tech Speculation discussion

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by ToTTenTranz, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Calm down. Everyone seems really antsy here. Okay, not 50 watts down to 15, but you did speculate up to 50% power savings, and I was then entering into the argument questioning whether such efficiencies are really possible. If my argument is wrong, it can be argued. And someone being wrong doesn't make them stupid nor incapable of reading coherently. As for facts, I've already deferred to more knowledgeable folk and only commented on my interpretation of the data presented. I'm not against your position and am not trying to find evidence to disprove it.

And all I'm doing is debating your speculation. :???: And I accept I had a slightly wrong angle in my last post (either because of my inability to read, or because the thread jumbles multiple lines of discussion and sometimes they get muddled).

For those saying 50 W down to 15 W, a few watts here and there doesn't count. For those saying double efficiencies overall (yourself), maybe so.

2. bunnybug

Regular Newcomer

quote from eurogamer. remember this coming from multiple sources.

"is worth stressing with a firm emphasis that everything we have heard so far points to Tegra X1 as the SoC of choice for Nintendo NX"

I guess you can keep the hope alive, but anybody with common sense can see this has a 90% chance of using a custom TX1.

3. loekf

Regular

So basically, history repeats itself for Nintendo. We get desktop-class GPU paired with a lousy CPU ?

I can't believe they are working on this console for so long, seems like ages and it's still not out. Why would you release a new product in March btw ?

4. Benetanegia

Newcomer

Maybe. Or maybe a GPU company put a big GPU in a high-end SoC... :runaway:

5. N00b

Regular

No hard feelings! <3

And just of the press: Japanese gaming journalist says Switch is Parker & Pascal: http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-nvidia-tegra-pascal/

6. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Software issues.

7. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

None taken.
    Little clarification - Journalist 'speculates' Parker, at least as I understand it from the link. Perhaps a Japanese reader can go to the source and give a better translation of the info? Otherwise it seems to be the same sort of speculation we're going through. ;)

BRiT likes this.
  8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Does it have a rear facing camera?

9. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Google translate might be better than my Japanese(certainly when it comes to kanji hehe) but as far as I can feel it's just speculation.

Basically he says while there is a chance Switch uses a Maxwell bases soc the most logical would be a Pascal based soc. He comes to this conclusion based on Nvidia blog post saying Switch uses the latest GPU tech and that the fact Nvidia already announced other Pascal bases 16nm socs.

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  10. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

There's always a chance the writer got his speculation from here or similar online forums. :razz:

Silent_Buddha and Goodtwin like this.
  11. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Well it's definitely a possibility, and some are going to think the current tech is more plausible than the older tech. My guess is maybe 20% chance at not Maxwell. If Nintendo do actually go with Pascal, their shares will jump and it'd bode reasonably well for them, as it'd signify a change in mentality that will be more competitive and not just be recycling their ageing, dwindling fanbase.

12. Benetanegia

Newcomer

Hnestly, I don't know what makes some of you think that Maxwell is cheaper than Pascal...

13. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

because maxwell is cheaper than pascal..

14. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Yes, 28nm Maxwell is cheaper than 16nm Pascal.

However, in a custom design on 16nm (or 14nm which IMO is a possibility for this), the cost difference between the two maybe negligible. We don't have a good apples to apple comparison because the desktop designs are on different nodes.

15. Goodtwin

Veteran Newcomer Subscriber

Has the Tegra X1 ever been manufactured on anything other than 20nm? Even assuming custom X1, we still don't know click speed or memory bus size. Are the ARM A54 cores still there or did they remove them?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

#455 Goodtwin, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  16. Benetanegia

Newcomer

Based on what?

17. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

The latest rumors from GAF are 4GB of RAM (and 3.2 available for games). Personally, I don't expect any thing more than 25.6 GB/sec for the bandwidth.

This is a device designed to be cost effective, imo. However, it will be faster than the WiiU and and orders of magnitude faster than than the 3DS. Even if it was close to Xbox power, it would still be less and that wouldn't provide the best experience for multi-platform releases so ultimately who cares if it's 1/4 or 1/2 of Xbox 1 power. This is a console for Nintendo games.

Goodtwin likes this.
  18. Esrever

Regular Newcomer

Cheapest maxwell card vs cheapest pascal card.

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

And Skyrim :)

20. Benetanegia

Newcomer

I was not aware of the Switch using a desktop card...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.