Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Although EA plans to release a game from the “FIFA” franchise for Switch later this year, the company plans to wait to see if the unconventional console is a success before it releases any additional games on the platform, according to IGN"

Yeah so, in other terms "Ahah, we won't touch that".

TBH they may as well go that route. Save themselves the effort of creating anything other than a game system and games.

Lame OS. What exactly have Nintendo been doing? Not making games for NX, and not making apps, and not making a mighty network system.

Nintendo: "We're only launching the Switch in March 2017 to guarantee we have a great library from day one"
- The Switch launches with probably the poorest launch library in a console, ever.

Nintendo: "We'll be making sure the NX is sold at a price accessible to everyone"
- The base Switch launches at the highest price they have ever sold their consoles at, accompanied with unprecedentedly high prices for accessories, peripherals and even the simplest games. A re-launch of a remaster of a 1991 2D fighting game costs $40, which is 2.7x the price of the original remaster launched 8 years ago.

Wall Street Journal in early 2016: "Nintendo is reported to be using cutting-edge technology in the NX console, unlike past consoles"
- The Switch apparently launches with an off-the-shelf 2 year-old SoC.

The list of nonsense stuff goes on and on, so there's definitely something very wrong with Nintendo (EDIT: or something we haven't figured out yet).
I just can't think of any technical reason for the Switch to have missed the holiday season. The game development tools should have been done by nvidia and the console should be super-easy to develop for. The TX1 has been in mass production for 2 years.
At the very least, the console should/could have all the Tegra Android titles available on day one, which have already been optimized for the SoC. Just look at the library:

- Borderlands 2 & Presequel
- Portal 1 & 2
- Metal Gear Revengeance
- Talos Principle
- Half Life 2 Ep. 1 & 2
- All the Telltales stuff
- Strike Suit Zero
- Never Alone
- Trine 1 & 2
- Doom 3 BFG
- The Witness

Even if they sold as digital-only, all these games would make the Switch much more desirable, and all of them would work with the TX1 with little effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Netflix and relatives Nintendos concern at all? On the eight devices and four OSs that run NetFlix in my home, the NetFlix apps aren't supplied by the OS provider, but by NetFlix.
Isn't it reasonable to assume that their app simply isn't in a state where it is ready to be part of the shipping package?

If Netflix don't see the value in support Switch (more trouble than it's worth to them), it'll become Nintendo's responsibility to create/port any such app for the benefit of their users. In a way a reflects additionally poorly on the state of 3rd parties. Netflix haven't got a Switch devkit ASAP to ensure their app is on there. they have about as much enthusiasm for Switch as EA. Basically if (when) it doesn't sell 10 million in the first 6 months, it'll never see a large publisher make a single game for it (save those already making 3DS games perhaps), which in turn harms its value and savvy gamers must be aware of this.

If Netflix don't see the value in support Switch (more trouble than it's worth to them), it'll become Nintendo's responsibility to create/port any such app for the benefit of their users. In a way a reflects additionally poorly on the state of 3rd parties. Netflix haven't got a Switch devkit ASAP to ensure their app is on there. they have about as much enthusiasm for Switch as EA. Basically if (when) it doesn't sell 10 million in the first 6 months, it'll never see a large publisher make a single game for it (save those already making 3DS games perhaps), which in turn harms its value and savvy gamers must be aware of this.
You want to bet whether Netflix will be there before the year is out?

I call Nintendo's apparent recurrent autism to be at fault here.
Netflix has their app into pretty much every consumer device with a screen or a screen output. Windows UWP, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, PS3, X360, XBone/S, PS4/Pro, PS Vita, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, pretty much all SmartTVs in existence, plus other devices I may not even know of.

All things considered, there's really no reason for the absence of a Netflix app in a device like the Switch. Netflix would be happy to provide that.
Nintendo probably just forgot to send them some devkits in time.

Netflix has their app into pretty much every consumer device with a screen or a screen output. Windows UWP, Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, PS3, X360, XBone/S, PS4/Pro, PS Vita, Wii, Wii U, 3DS, pretty much all SmartTVs in existence, plus other devices I may not even know of.

I think Netflix is awesome but they do not have an app for a standard Linux distro.

I think Netflix is awesome but they do not have an app for a standard Linux distro.

You're right. You need to use a browser.
Then again, Windows' UWP app is also very limited compared to the browser version. For example, 4K can only be watched through Edge.

Sorry for the offtopic.

One of the things I find most fascinating is the response of the die-hard Nintendo fans who continue to excuse Nintendo's actions. These are the one's who'll pay no matter what, but there's just not enough of them to sustain Nintendo, and I don't think N. listen to anyone else.

One of the things I find most fascinating is the response of the die-hard Nintendo fans who continue to excuse Nintendo's actions. These are the one's who'll pay no matter what, but there's just not enough of them to sustain Nintendo, and I don't think N. listen to anyone else.
Any overlap between that group and the Apples diehards

I'm now imagining people playing Street Fighter with split JoyCons. I'm sure that'll be some world class play quality.

Another problem with using the split JoyCons: if the battery dies on one or both of them there's no way to plug it in and immediately resume playing. Well I guess you could use it with the sold-separately grip hanging off of just one of them, presuming it can charge with only one JoyCon attached.

Last edited:

It is interesting following some of the mega Youtube content creators, one with over 3m subs is all over the Nintendo Switch and put orders with various retailers to ensure she gets one on release, seems quite a few who are Nintendo fans are ok with the price and what is being released.
Maybe not ok with the price of additional controls/etc but it is not reducing their enthusiasm.
Seems Nintendo know their core customers, but with you that this is meant to appeal beyond them.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back