Nintendo Switch Event 2017-01-12 and Switch Launch discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is enough demand from Nintendo loyalists and early adopters that initial launch sales will be good.

If there wasn't enough demand for the 3DS at $250, why would there be for the Switch at $300?
Plus, there are a whole lot more tablets, smartphones and phablets today than there was in 2011.

Like Skyrim... right? :runaway:

Nintendo doesn't have a fucking clue and this is just more evidence to throw on the pile.
And meant to be $40 to buy as well :)
I am holding my head while typing that fact.
It is incredible when one consider the massive back catalogue of games Nvidia could bring that fans would want if at a good price or even as an enticement to the online pay service.
But what is surprising me is that some Nintendo fans are actually happy with the pricing when following the various forums or reviews.....
Some are doing multiple pre-orders and then looking to cancel the others after they have a confirmed-guaranteed delivery.
Not sure how much of a headache this has on the sales-logistical forecasting but Nintendo may be fooled into thinking the numbers are initially very positive.

Cheers

i'll wait for a $200 smaller/without dock and non detachable controllers switch lite next year.

Or whatever revision it will definitely have with a better price. Personally, I was hoping for a larger screen, better battery life and possibly higher resolution.

I was a little surprised to hear that it was 720p and not at least 1080p for the tablet screen.

Skyrim for $40 is an enormous amount of value for the money...

... compared to the $40 Ultra Street Fighter II, which is a port of the Street Fighter II remaster that was sold digitally for $15 on PS360 9 years ago.
True in that regard, and that shows how bad a lot of the pricing is with regards to the games coming out and just how much they have been re-developed.
I am in 2 minds regarding Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, no new courses for the $60 rrp but comes with all the DLC and 5 new racers, however most considering the Switch already own the Wii U....
So that is a lot to ask to buy it again just for 5 new racers, and to play on the swanky new Switch with slight improvements.

Key for Skyrim is how close it is to the special edition on the consoles/PC for the price they are charging and the fact nearly everyone surely owns this game now.
Cheers

True in that regard, and that shows how bad a lot of the pricing is with regards to the games coming out and just how much they have been re-developed.
I am in 2 minds regarding Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, no new courses for the $60 rrp but comes with all the DLC and 5 new racers, however most considering the Switch already own the Wii U....
So that is a lot to ask to buy it again just for 5 new racers, and to play on the swanky new Switch with slight improvements.

Key for Skyrim is how close it is to the special edition on the consoles/PC for the price they are charging and the fact nearly everyone surely owns this game now.
Cheers

The pricing is always skewed but its the same with any launch. 1 2 switch is to much , that street fighter game is too much. however Mario kart is different , its consistently the highest selling game for Nintendo http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales

and with Mario kart 8 sales so low at 1.26m it makes sense to offer it again with more content. but Mario kart 8 is till $60 for the wii u and Mario kart 7 for 3ds is still $32 . Nintendo first party titles hold their price really well

The pricing is always skewed but its the same with any launch. 1 2 switch is to much , that street fighter game is too much. however Mario kart is different , its consistently the highest selling game for Nintendo http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/15/5718168/mario-kart-series-sales

and with Mario kart 8 sales so low at 1.26m it makes sense to offer it again with more content. but Mario kart 8 is till $60 for the wii u and Mario kart 7 for 3ds is still $32 . Nintendo first party titles hold their price really well
Yeah which is why I am in 2 minds about it.
Still hurts though considering many have already spent many hours playing it.
For the price they could had provided a few courses or some other expanded 'enhancement', I guess we need to see the finished product at launch to do a true critical compare.
Remember Nintendo is trying to reach out to casual gamers again and not just hardcore or 'early adopter' Nintendo fans with this handheld (a critical point).
Cheers

Yeah which is why I am in 2 minds about it.
Still hurts though considering many have already spent many hours playing it.
For the price they could had provided a few courses or some other expanded 'enhancement', I guess we need to see the finished product at launch to do a true critical compare.
Remember Nintendo is trying to reach out to casual gamers again and not just hardcore or 'early adopter' Nintendo fans with this handheld (a critical point).
Cheers

well that's the point isn't it , the wii u sold what 13m world wide and Mario kart 8 didn't break 1.3m . With Mario kart being one of the biggest launch window games for the switch at the end of april , it really doesn't have any competition for multiplayer except bomberman and street fighter 2. So its going to get the premium .

I dunno.

Cheers
I doubt it will be special edition. far more likely to be a port of the old version. they don't need 64 bit and the new version has a lot of upgrades that would just need to be removed, along with all the textures reduced again

I doubt it will be special edition. far more likely to be a port of the old version. they don't need 64 bit and the new version has a lot of upgrades that would just need to be removed, along with all the textures reduced again
Yeah I agree, but my context was in terms of quality-quantity delivered, so far from what I have seen it is not bad (still not convinced it should be at the rrp it is though) but it will be compared to what has come before it in terms of the special edition/remastered release.
Especially as it is coming out so late in 2017 on the Switch.
Cheers

Last edited:
well that's the point isn't it , the wii u sold what 13m world wide and Mario kart 8 didn't break 1.3m . With Mario kart being one of the biggest launch window games for the switch at the end of april , it really doesn't have any competition for multiplayer except bomberman and street fighter 2. So its going to get the premium .

I dunno.
And the headache they have is what does it bring new to the table over the Wii U product that didn't sell well in the 1st place, the answer is not really much.
Casual gamers will be more reluctant than Nintendo fans to spend such a figure on a handheld game.
Actually that is not quite right, casual gamers it seems want a cheap game that they spend ridiculous amount of on for the 'extras' :)
Just look at Pokemon Go, I think their revenue (not Nintendo) topped nearly $1bn in the end for a freebie game, or other massively successful casual mobile games.
Cheers

And the headache they have is what does it bring new to the table over the Wii U product that didn't sell well in the 1st place, the answer is not really much.
Casual gamers will be more reluctant than Nintendo fans to spend such a figure on a handheld game.
Actually that is not quite right, casual gamers it seems want a cheap game that they spend ridiculous amount of on for the 'extras' :)
Just look at Pokemon Go, I think their revenue (not Nintendo) topped nearly $1bn in the end for a freebie game, or other massively successful casual mobile games.
Cheers

But the switch is a home console :) . It has new items at least one new stage , the splatoon guys and some other guys.

Pokémon Go was a movement. I bet they will release pokemon go on the switch , I bet the animal crossing will be monetized as a free to play. I bet we will even get some type of clash of clans type rip off too for the system. At launch they are appealing to the hardcore Nintendo crowd that will buy the system at any price. Nintendo wants 5 or 6m of these sold through world wide by the fall. Pokémon go wont do that. People aren't going to buy a 300 system to play whats on their cell phone. But Zelda , Mario kart , smash , Mario will sell to the hardcore. Then they just need enough other reasons to get the casuals. PS4 sold quickly and it certainly wasn't cause of the lack luster launch line up or the poor first year or two of titles.

The switch doesn't have GPS or LTE so how could they play Pokémon Go? Pair it with your phone and use the paid-for Multiplayer App and paid-for Nintendo Online services? At that point, fuck the Switch and just play it on your phone.

What is amazingly asinine is apparently matchmaking on the Switch is handled just like Voice Chat, by the separate paid-for App that you run on your phone or tablet.

What? They're going to release different apps for different functionality? That is insane.

Having a "hub" app on your phone/tablet did seem like an idea that could work to me. The advantage being that most people have their phone with them all the time so if for example screenshots you make are downloaded/accessible from your phone it would be very easy for people to edit them and/or upload them to social media. The same goes for promotions, digital purchases etc, in game events etc. That is all very easy to push to a phone as a notification so that might get people to buy more/pick up their switch more as opposed to only doing such things from the switch itself. Even text chat might be easier because. Don't see how voice chat could work when your using headphones but that is just one thing, could live with that. Access to certain features could easily be unlocked based on having a switch online subscription or not.

But having separate apps for everything is crazy.

Yeah, I don't get it. What if my phone is running low on battery or whatever ? I can see a phone app doing that as a possibility. But the only one ? Force me to use my phone to do that ? No way...

But the switch is a home console :) . It has new items at least one new stage , the splatoon guys and some other guys.

Pokémon Go was a movement. I bet they will release pokemon go on the switch , I bet the animal crossing will be monetized as a free to play. I bet we will even get some type of clash of clans type rip off too for the system. At launch they are appealing to the hardcore Nintendo crowd that will buy the system at any price. Nintendo wants 5 or 6m of these sold through world wide by the fall. Pokémon go wont do that. People aren't going to buy a 300 system to play whats on their cell phone. But Zelda , Mario kart , smash , Mario will sell to the hardcore. Then they just need enough other reasons to get the casuals. PS4 sold quickly and it certainly wasn't cause of the lack luster launch line up or the poor first year or two of titles.
Yeah I tend to smile at the home console thought for Switch as well :)

Mario Kart has no new stages as far as I am aware, according to recent articles such at Eurogamer.
Though Mario Kart 8 Deluxe offers a handful of new and retro Battle mode courses, there are no new tracks coming to the racing parts of the game
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...xe-new-characters-track-list-battle-mode-4623
TBH I would want tracks rather than 5 new racers when taking all into context already discussed.

And yeah regarding Pokemon Go, along with some other movement games from other developers, but context is these players want cheap games to then ironically burn higher levels of cash on 'play extras' as seen by the revenue from Pokemon Go and some of the other cheap to buy movement mobile games.
So how will Nintendo convince these casual players to spend $60 on what is an old game I am not sure, because as you highlighted even Nintendo fans did not flock to it on the Wii U.

This is a great short vid comparing the Wii U and Switch version, it is not really bringing much more tbh (and that is me being generous lol):

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back