Nintendo must lower DS hardware and software prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OICAspork said:
I thought PSP Games were $50 and DS games $30 US... I have no idea how Nintendo plans to price them in Japan.
DS games are $30 on the low end, but quite a lot seem to be ending up at $40 as well. Some are listed at $50 as well, but those seem to be games that aren't going to show up until March, so I imagine that's more of a placeholder price right now. (Though there are some March+ games priced at $30 as well. They probably announced an actual price point while the others haven't yet, so are in a "no greater than" state.)

Since the games look to be similarly priced in Japan, I imagine they'll be similarly priced in the US and Europe as well. As always, it will depend on the title.

The PSP is more powerful than the DS? Wow! Thanks captian obvious, you saved the day!

But then, that's not really the point of the DS, is it?

I think the psp needs to lower its price . After all it gets less battery time , only has 1 screen , non touch sensitive , and no picco chat

J,
Dude, PSP screen area is at least 1.5x that of DS, one big "hires" screen is arguably superior to two lores screens in pretty much every situation. PSP may have shorter battery life (but it'll have external battery pack as an extra, so it's no biggie), but computing power is MUCH greater, rasterizer power MUCH greater, and depending on what kind of audio is in the DS, well, if it's that rotten GBA soundchip it'll have MUCH greater performance there as well.

Then add memory stick slot, USB connector and 1.6 GB optical drive and I think you will find PSP to be quite good value for money despite the lack of touchscreen, which tends to wear out anyway. I'll leave out wifi from the comparison since they both feature that.

The 1.8GB UMD is there because you need it for those PSP games that require it ie GT4. NDS doesn't need 1.8GB of storage because the games don't require that much complexity graphics-wise. I'd be shocked if any NDS game exceeded 256MB. Also the UMD is not recordable either so from a consumer POV it's irrelevent. The built-in memory slot is nice though which is good for other uses like storing a photo album or your own movie clips etc. I wouldn't use it for playing music though because PSP is just too big. Anyway any extra functions that can use the MS can also be used with a NDS from 3rd partie device granted you have to buy them separately.

...and it's officially been presented as "up to 1 Gb" not 1.8, though they might be able to push bigger ones in the future--they're just not setting up any expectations now.

Guden Oden i was being silly you know

THough i must say even though the psp screen is bigger , it doesn't have the touch screen ability . Which is needed . YOu can't have a next gen hand held with out it .

PSP may have shorter battery life (but it'll have external battery pack as an extra, so it's no biggie),

It is a biggy as that is adding more money to the system.

Sure u can go buy a battery pack for 30-50$ (dunno how much it is ) But then again I can go buy a battery pack for even more battery life with my ds .

I got a great battery for my gba , it was 10 bucks and brought the life up to 15 hours with the light on !

but computing power is MUCH greater, rasterizer power MUCH greater

that is great. But i'm in a car or on a bus keeping myself busy , all the graphics in the world don't matter unless they can make fun content.

And all the fun content in the world isn't going to help if my battery goes dead while i'm playing on my trip into the city or down the shore .

Then add memory stick slot, USB connector and 1.6 GB optical drive and I think you will find PSP to be quite good value for money despite the lack of touchscreen, which tends to wear out anyway.

A memory stick slot ? So i can buy more useless sony stuff that will only work with other items if u buy more sony products ?

Yes the usb connector is nice , but what am i doing to use it for ? mp3s ?

I never said the psp wasn't a good value at 200$ . It is . But its just not as good as the ds at 150$ . Thus sony needs to lower thier price or they are doomed !!!! Or however you say that in leet talk .

People, lets just establish one point first:

This is not about one game against one game - it's about the difference the PSP offers over the DS in terms of technical capability with a smaller price gap than expected.

This is not about RR PSP against RR DS - it's one example out of many that are yet to follow as more games make their appearance.

Readykilowatt said:
Let me just make some comments here. The NDS vs PSP situation is very different from the PS vs N64 situation.

(1) The NDS is backwards compatible with the Gameboy [this is very important IMO] (the N64 was not backwards compatible with the SNES).

(2) The Playstation was released before the N64 (the NDS is being released before the PSP).

(3) The N64 is more powerful than the Playstation (the PSP is more powerful than the NDS).

(4) The N64 and the Playstation are home consoles (the NDS and the PSP are portable consoles) [*whispers* they are different markets.]

(5) Many people were saying that the N64 will bury the Playstation (many people are saying that the PSP will bury the NDS).

There is one difference that matters though: PlayStation launched nearly 1.5 years in advance (PS1 end of 1994, N64 mid 1996) - the DS however will be launching a few weeks in advance. Not years, not months - weeks. Would the time frame be significantly larger, would the above points make sense. Given that the two handhelds are launching within the same timeframe, people will be making a decision between the two.

One other thing to note in the above notes though is that the technical difference between PS1 and N64 was less significant as the different between PSP and DS.

What makes this a very similar situation though is the different approach both companies are taking - and the tactics taken by Sony are very similar to the ones they used back in that era: making handheld gaming mainstream - just like what the PS1 did. Targeting not only little kids that play GameBoys but mainly console gamers and others. The market that today spends a lot of money on console games and accessories. A market that earns money. Clearly, the market filled with 15 - 30 year olds. This coupled with technology and the support is what made the PlayStation brand the success it is today. PSP is no different in this aspect: it has the technology, the support as it seems and it has the right target audience. Nintendo on the other hand isn't changing it's strategy and still going for a "different" more traditional product. It isn't targeting a wider audience - in fact, just as most Nintendo fans hold on to; the DS is targeting a different market all together and that's the flaw in Nintendo's strategy.

I am not disputing that the DS will sell. In fact, it will sell the first few months - what I predict will happen though if PSP does become the next hip product among console gamers and the above mentioned targeted audience is that the younger players will grow out of the DS and GameBoy era really quick. When they see the better graphics, the more hightech and expensive design - they will want it. They want to be cool. DS is "last generation" they will say - and once that happens, you'll see PSP sales go up and DS sales slow down - something we all wittnessed last generation. Something that no Nintendo fan would have believed back then in 1994.

The ultimate flaw is Nintendo's strategy in them not targeting a wider audience. PSP does and it has the potential to make handheld gaming mainstream - something the DS won't.

I should have name the thread "foaming at the mouth Nintendo F@nboy litmus test". OMG some of you have your heads buried deep in the sand!

I give you guys about 6 months after launch to realise how little impact the stylus will make on portable gaming. As an 8 year PDA user, trust me, it's at best, a distraction. DS will have to compete as a 3D gaming portable against the PSP, not as some other worldly "3rd pillar" gaming experiment.

As a detached observer (Never been a big fan of Nintendo nor Sony having only owned PC, Sega consoles and the XBox for my gaming needs), it's easy for me to see through the distractions and hype to realise that the Stylus espect is good for only Wario Ware DS and it's ilk (Woo! for puzzle games! if that's what you're after), and the second screen is only good for maps and gauges (not being able to handle 3D well on both screens at the same time, forget more useful stuff like rear view mirror display), that after all's been said and done, DS will have to earn it's keep as a decent 3D portable against the PSP. Can that be done within 25% of the PSP's hardware cost and similar software costs? I for one say hell no.

PC-Engine said:
I wouldn't even touch Namco's offering. That other driving game for NDS looks a lot better. Namco really just disgraced themselves by showing how lazy and shoddy their RR game actually is on NDS. ... That POS that Namco showed for NDS is a disgrace.

Props goes to NST (Which stands for Nintendo Software Technology, the software technology part in the name must be some sort of sarcasm or something) for RRDS.

PC-Engine said:
That puppy game is very cool. Anybody know if that puppy game also uses voice recognition?

The name of the game in the US is Puppy Time, it looks an evolved version of the famous Tamagotchi. And yes, you can use the mic to talk to them, Nintendo PR says you can teach them tricks using voice commands.

Wow this is turning into the old console forum again. I think we need some Deadmeat here for troll balance :D

I should have name the thread "foaming at the mouth Nintendo F@nboy litmus test". OMG some of you have your heads buried deep in the sand!
Please don't turn this into another GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back