Nintendo must lower DS hardware and software prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe NST is too busy with Metroid Prime:Hunters to do justice to RR DS. Asphalt: Urban GT seems superior in both detail and framerate (60fps vs 30fps).

asphalt-urban-gt-20041102021222969.jpg

They are serious about using the second screen in driving game as a map ? What a waste. They could have use it for rear view mirror or some other things. If this was crazy taxi, maybe second screen map make sense. Should have just turn it off and conserve battery.

Nah a map is better then turning the screen off, especially when battery life is easily good enough anyway. The map screen will be especially useful in multiplayer games.

V3 said:
They are serious about using the second screen in driving game as a map ? What a waste. They could have use it for rear view mirror or some other things. If this was crazy taxi, maybe second screen map make sense. Should have just turn it off and conserve battery.

I heard you can only display 3d in one screen at a time, though if an engine is fast enough to cope with 60 fps, you can do every other frame on one of the screens to display 3d on both, so having said that, perhaps its difficult to have implemented a rear-view mirror?

Teasy said:
Oh yeah, great comparison there Shogmaster.... First you take the worst looking DS game and compare it to one of PSP's best looking games. Then you show downsampled PSP shots vs DS shots that are blown up to nearly twice there normal size. This thread should be locked just for that.

I didn't resize crap you ninnies! :p They are as presented as is from their respective sources. DS shots are from ign, and PSP shots are from Namco themselves. I'm just working with what I found as is.

As for "best" PSP game vs "worst", I just thought it was apt comparo since they are both Ridge Racer titles (as most regular gamers would). I'm pointing out that it's all about perceptions, and your typical shopper at Best Buy or whatever you have in Europe won't make all these Nintendo fanatics' justifications.

Replace your DS Ridge Racer pics with the following normal resolution pics of a decent looking DS racing game (Asphalt Urban GT). Then post proper size shots of Ridge Racer PSP and then its a legitimate thread:

ss1-8b.jpg

asphalt-gt.jpg

PSP has better graphics, obviously. But the difference is nowhere near as big as your lop sided comparison would suggest.

BZZT! Sorry. You can't upsize the PSP pic and call that fair (even though it still craps on the DS game pics). A Native PSP res pic would be needed. We'll have to wait until Namco gives us some.

I do so much for you guys. Here's what I have done to appease the sticklers:

I first found pics at IGN that is proper size caps from DS (they were repeats of the newer so I skipped them. Oh well):

ridge-racer-ds-20041007013019330.jpg
ridge-racer-ds-20041007013018298.jpg

Then resized them the same percentage (66.87%) as the PSP ones from Namco, and put them together.

RRDSPSPresizedcomp1.jpg
RRDSPSPresizedcomp2.jpg

DS ones still look like poo.

You can't even see how really good looking PSP RR is in those pics. Videos of the game show that those city buildings all have reflective windows (like in RRV), there's a specularity effect of some kind on the road as well (which was not in RRV).

Maybe this thread should have been called DS graphics > than PSP graphics. That's a no brainer. Who cares? Nintendo isn't trying to outdo the PSP graphically anyway.

....and that I find scary thinking about Nintendo's future.

The above comparison is quite nicely illustrates one thing though: it's ultimately what people will be comparing when they see both products side by side. The point is, the price difference is quite small - yet at the same time, one seems to offer quite a bit more than just a small leap. Batterylife might be an issue, but honestly, who today really cares if the player plays 4 to 6 hours or 12? Especially when you're looking at graphics like that? Did those cell-phone users ever complain when the first colour displays came out and halfed battery life? What about the new generation cell-phones with multimedia features that halfed battery life yet again?

Sure, it may not impact DS sales much in the beginning, but sooner or later (assuming PSP sales nice and opens a new market targeting many PS2 users that showed little interest in handheld gaming this far), kids buying DS will grow up and see their older brothers/dads or friends eying the PSP, the new hip product. Yet another cool looking hightech product by the leader in gaming. A PlayStation. What better product is outthere to impress your fellow gamer friends?

I see a repetition of the PlayStation / Nintendo64 era all over again, coming quick.

thop said:
Phil i believe you are seeing the situation from a very narrow perspective.
How is that a narrow perspective? Phil's right, that happened with the console market. The only thing different with the handheld market is that Nintendo's been largely unopposed so far and hasn't had this happen to them there yet. But let's be realistic. The price gap is so small, and the graphics difference will only be exaggerated even more with a better and bigger screen which will better show off all the extra effects (not just raw poly counts) the PSP will have over the DS. If we hadn't seen this all happen before, I'd agree with you, but right now it just seems like Nintendo fans are running damage control, and fooling no one. :? But hey, it's got a stylus, right? PEACE.

This is the dumbest thread I've ever come across in awhile. First of all, I see frequent PS2 supporters marvelling at how much better RR PSP looks over RR DS. Who gives a crap. Its ONE title in the lineup. Yes, PSP is more powerful, but how do you figure that will factor into a consumers decision given that PS2 is leading the market right now?

Yes, there's more factors involved here. Sony's ability to advertise, brand recognition and so and and so forth. I just find it funny how one side will switch from one perspective to another in the blink of an eye when the cards land in their position just right.

Xbox is more powerful than PS2 and a lot of Xbox fan[boy]s rant and scorn the PS2 for its "less than adequate" abiliities (even though in my opinion, given its one year and a half older, it still is able to keep with the best of em is impressive), and yet, next generation, if cell technology and percieved PS3 specifications aren't blown way out of proportion are going to be dominating the graphics department for the next generation. Of course, like RR PSP and RR DS, these technical specs can only be showcased if the developer utilizes the capabilities and adds in their own flair of artistic talent. That's all it boils down to.

So my point here, as I know it seems I'm going off on all tangents, is that this whole comparison crap is futile. Its one game, and one game that I highly doubt holds much market mindshare among the public these days anyway.

Just because you've got a company you prefer to back more than another doesn't mean you have to be a jackass about it. That goes for anybody.

LogisticX said:
This is the dumbest thread I've ever come across in awhile.

Agreed. It's also one of the most amusing threads as well. :LOL: These quotes had me laughing:

The only thing different with the handheld market is that Nintendo's been largely unopposed so far and hasn't had this happen to them there yet.

I see a repetition of the PlayStation / Nintendo64 era all over again, coming quick.

Let me just make some comments here. The NDS vs PSP situation is very different from the PS vs N64 situation.

(1) The NDS is backwards compatible with the Gameboy [this is very important IMO] (the N64 was not backwards compatible with the SNES).

(2) The Playstation was released before the N64 (the NDS is being released before the PSP).

(3) The N64 is more powerful than the Playstation (the PSP is more powerful than the NDS).

(4) The N64 and the Playstation are home consoles (the NDS and the PSP are portable consoles) [*whispers* they are different markets.]

(5) Many people were saying that the N64 will bury the Playstation (many people are saying that the PSP will bury the NDS).

When you step back and look at the situation with an open mind you will realize that Sony has an uphill battle here. I think that there are going to be some very disappointed fanboys in the coming years. Let me give you a hint........ Killzone. :LOL:

BTW, the Gameboy is outselling the PS2 in Japan, the UK and the US. The NDS is backwards compatible with that juggernaut. ;)

If I were to buy a driving game for my NDS, which I'll be getting at launch, I wouldn't even touch Namco's offering. That other driving game for NDS looks a lot better. Namco really just disgraced themselves by showing how lazy and shoddy their RR game actually is on NDS. I'm not really worried about NDS though because the right developers will make it shine. In motion on the NDS's small screen, the right games would still look really good. That POS that Namco showed for NDS is a disgrace. ;)

Funny thing is most people are going to buy GT4 for PSP anyway so Namco is in deep sh*t either way. :LOL:

If Namco was smart they woud've made a really good looking RR for NDS instead of betting on RR PSP which will be competing with GT4. Back when the PS2 launched Namco was lucky GT3 didn't come out until ~ 2 years later.

Anyway Nintendo doesn't need to lower the price of NDS, however, $50 for NDS games are pretty expensive. BTW that little videoclip Edit: a4164 posted is pretty cool, lots of interesting things to do with the stylus. That puppy game is very cool. Anybody know if that puppy game also uses voice recognition?

LogisticX said:
This is the dumbest thread I've ever come across in awhile. First of all, I see frequent PS2 supporters marvelling at how much better RR PSP looks over RR DS. Who gives a crap. Its ONE title in the lineup. Yes, PSP is more powerful, but how do you figure that will factor into a consumers decision given that PS2 is leading the market right now?

Well the difference in power from the DS to the PSP is massive compared the the difference between the ps2 and xbox, at least they are in the same generation in terms of power, while the difference between the PSP and DS is similar to the one between this generation of consoles and last.

Haha. Who knows. PSP looks better than DS :oops: DUH. Frankly I'm surprised it doesn't look even better. The question is are handhelds a place where graphics whore games matter that much. I'm an old fart so I might be completely out of touch, but handhelds are about simplicity AFAIK. I like mobile music. I don't play mobile games unless I'm on a plane. I think the GBA-SP is brilliant. I don't see either of these new babys getting anywhere near it unless the price comes down. They both look awesomely cool though so at least they've got that going for them. ;)

TheMightyPuck said:
Haha. Who knows. PSP looks better than DS :oops: DUH. Frankly I'm surprised it doesn't look even better. The question is are handhelds a place where graphics whore games matter that much. I'm an old fart so I might be completely out of touch, but handhelds are about simplicity AFAIK. I like mobile music. I don't play mobile games unless I'm on a plane. I think the GBA-SP is brilliant. I don't see either of these new babys getting anywhere near it unless the price comes down. They both look awesomely cool though so at least they've got that going for them. ;)

With the new low price, I'm wagering that the handheld market will be changed by Sony, and graphic whoring will be alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back