Nintendo must lower DS hardware and software prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shogmaster

Regular
Ridge Racer PSP - Dec 12th 2004: 5040 yen

ss1-5b.jpg
ss1-8b.jpg

Ridge Racer DS - late November 2004: estimated 5040 yen

ridge-racer-ds-20041101052828132.jpg
ridge-racer-ds-20041101052828460.jpg

Comparasins like this is killing any chance for DS to survive, let alone succeed. IMO, Nintendo must lower the price of DS hardware and software, otherwise it will get ugly fast.

No, they can't. The will sell the initial shipment easily. They can lower the price to 129$ or so later. If they lower it to 99$ DS will be perceived as a cheap system. ~220$ for the PSP (including memory stick) is almost 100$ more than 129$!

Also nobody will buy the thing for Ridge Racer DS anyway. DS is strong in other genres like shown in the video released yesterday by Nintendo.

People should really relax about the DS and PSP thing! :D Neither one will fail. DS will sell great, and will mostly be bought by kids and people who bought the GBA, and probably also by females (i see a big market here). PSP will steal some sales from DS/GBA, create its own market and will probably be bought by console fans who care about graphics very much, and haven't owned a handheld before. Neither one will come close to the GBA.

Dude, did you look at the pics? Regular folks won't make your kind of justification for the DS. They'll just laugh at it and move on to PSP kiosk.

Dude, did you look at my post? Nobody will buy the DS over PSP because of Ridge Racer DS, if they do i'll laugh at the fools.

I agree with thop. It would be dumb for Nintendo to launch at less than $150. The DS has a lot more going for it like the dual screens, touch, and Nintendo's games than merely how Ridge Racer looks on it. The DS is going to sell out anyway, why lower the price?

It really doesn't look bad for Nintendo here.
Why are you posting high QL PSP pics vs low QL high compression DS pics anyway? :p

And the DS can run a whole racing championship without having to swap batteries. So there haha =P

The PSP screenshots are 321×183, but the PSP screen is 480×272. They've been resized/resampled to a smaller size (-33.125% horizontal). The DS screenshots are 320×483 (part of the vertical size is a black border), but each DS screen is 256×192. They've been resized/resampled to a larger size (+25% horizontal).

This could make the PSP look slightly better and definitely makes the DS look worse, especially with the higher compression on the DS screenshots. It's not a fair comparison. I'm sure the PSP version will look much better, but come on.

A lot of people is capitalizing criticism over RR DS which is argably the worst DS game technicaly speaking.

Truth is RR DS is only a version of RR 64 [wich is the worst game in the series graphics wise], Asphault GT proves that DS can do better and even this game is just a N gage game version, DS will show with a bit of time that it can do quite better than that, not RR PSP kind of graphics of course but quite better than RR DS.

In the worst case scenario NDS price doesnt need to be lowered in the States before PSP arrival, plus by that time well see if battery life does really affect consumer percetion about the product and DS could also get much better performance sales wise than some people expect...

You seem to be forgetting what happened last generation. PS1 was butt-ugly compared to N64, and it was the same price, but which one sold more?

Tysan said:
A lot of people is capitalizing criticism over RR DS which is argably the worst DS game technicaly speaking.

Truth is RR DS is only a version of RR 64 [wich is the worst game in the series graphics wise], Asphault GT proves that DS can do better and even this game is just a N gage game version, DS will show with a bit of time that it can do quite better than that, not RR PSP kind of graphics of course but quite better than RR DS.

In the worst case scenario NDS price doesnt need to be lowered in the States before PSP arrival, plus by that time well see if battery life does really affect consumer percetion about the product and DS could also get much better performance sales wise than some people expect...
µ

Mind you that RR DS is being outsourced to another company and that any footage released this far is purely intended to demonstrate the gameplay concept. Why else would they show a build which is only 4 months far into development?

Ridge Racers on PSP is being internally developed, with a far lager budget , staff and is almost finished...

Reznor007 said:
You seem to be forgetting what happened last generation. PS1 was butt-ugly compared to N64, and it was the same price, but which one sold more?

Lets just keep this subjective matter out of it, okay? To you PS1 might have been "butt-ugly" - that doesn't change the fact though that the systems had very different technical boundries to overcome. Naturally PS1 games looked pixelated compared to N64, though surpassed N64 in other aspects (which naturally leads to 2 different graphic styles).

Comparing best against best, neither had "butt-ugly" graphics at the time and it certainly wasn't as big of a difference compared to that of the two handhelds (PSP / DS) compared above.

Apart from 'dual screens' and touchscreen - it would definately be interesting in how close PSP could emulate DS games.

Shogmaster said:
Comparasins like this is killing any chance for DS to survive, let alone succeed. IMO, Nintendo must lower the price of DS hardware and software, otherwise it will get ugly fast.

:LOL: :LOL:

The trolls are getting funnier and funnier by the day.

The first post puts forth a very silly premise, but anyone expecting DS to hold a candle graphics-wise to PSP will get it rough in the months ahead. That's not a prediction, it's a fact. Then again, Nintendo isn't aiming to compete on a graphical level either, so it matters little where DS's viability as a console is concerned. Original gameboy's graphics can only be described as "asstastic" even back then when it was released, didn't stop it from selling like crazy. DS will offer good gfx and typical Nintendo gameplay at a decent price, that will be enough.

Personally i think PSX games looked like crap compared to N64, but i know a lot of people who think otherwise. What PSX had going for itself over N64 was the gorgeous FMV, the great sound in some games (not that N64 midi was bad, just limited) and also lots of pre-rendered backgrounds, and i think for many that easily made up the difference in ingame graphics.

Reznor007 said:

True, but PSone did front the Saturn, not the N64 which came a lot later. When the market was already invaded, and when Playstation was already a synonym of the word console (At least in Europe).
Here the DS have to front the PSP (Theref's a few month of difference, though, but nothing in comon with PS1/N64's difference).

I for myself, think that the DS should stick with 2D for most of it's games.
Or at least mix 2D/3D à la Feel The Magic or Goemon. Or if they choose the 3D it must be a king of game that play on DS strenghs, again like FTM or Mario 64DS, since it does not use a lot of texturing. But that's just my point of view.

BTW, and that's OT, the DS Ridge Racer does not only look bad, since it's developed by NST, it must play like crap too. NST still owe me something like €65 for RR64. :LOL:

This could make the PSP look slightly better and definitely makes the DS look worse, especially with the higher compression on the DS screenshots. It's not a fair comparison.
I have just downsampled DS screens to half, and upsampled PSP screens to their native size... Let's just say I don't think RR DS will be a showpiece for this handheld. RR PSP looks better than RRV on PS2. RR DS looks like a PS1 game probably running at higher framerate than such PS1 game could.

Oh yeah, great comparison there Shogmaster.... First you take the worst looking DS game and compare it to one of PSP's best looking games. Then you show downsampled PSP shots vs DS shots that are blown up to nearly twice there normal size. This thread should be locked just for that.

Replace your DS Ridge Racer pics with the following normal resolution pics of a decent looking DS racing game (Asphalt Urban GT). Then post proper size shots of Ridge Racer PSP and then its a legitimate thread:

ss1-8b.jpg

asphalt-gt.jpg

PSP has better graphics, obviously. But the difference is nowhere near as big as your lop sided comparison would suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back