Nintendo & Microsoft tried to buy Naughty Dog before Son

Pork chops

Newcomer
Anybody know if this interview/tv show is true ?

Snagged them up?

I have it recorded and i'm watching and writting as i go. It's very interesting and opend my eyes to many things. I always love hearing him give his opinion. Classic J.R. line

"DreamCast is a turd. Sony kicks it's ******* ass"

Jason Rubin was talking in an interview on G-4tv heading into the Vegas Dice summit about all sorts of things. As you know he's the most personable Dev in the biz. His the = to Mr. O'reilly, but of the videogame sort.

Anyway i'll get down to some of what was said.

They asked him how life has been since the buyout. They said they seen him get out of a 2001 Porch.

J.R. Couldn't be better. Sony has been so great to us. I could'nt imagine working with anyone else. They have tremendous production values and they really let us do our thing and in turn we do it well, as you can see from the sales of J&D and JAK2.

They went on to talk about the loss of the crash licence.

J.R. It was tuff, but it was time to move on. We knew when Universal hired us thru Sony we shouldn't get too attached. We all went into Crash Bandicoot as a Sony platform game that could compete with whatever Nintendo's talented dev's brought to the table with MARIO. We was shocked and pleased to be able to develop 3 major games and a kart racer with Universal for Sony's playstation.

They then asked how the buyout came to play.

J.R. We went to Sony actually. We went and asked them if they would be interested in a buy out. We knew it was crass of us since we had no real properties to bring to the table for Sony, since we just lost the Crash licence to Universal. We also learned that they were going to be making them across the board now thru Konami. We just din't feel like the quality would hold up and opted to back out and bow out gracefully.

They went on to ask for more details.

J.R. Actually, Nintendo offered a buyout 1st and that got us thinking. Then Sega made an offer, but at the time they were in no position to loose the revenue. Finally Microsoft laid it all out for us, it was a great offer, but I myself and Andy wanted to see what Sony could bring for us. We loved working with them, it's where we wanted to be and them having the best E-3 parties didn't hurt none either. "he laughs"

---
From: Davarooski03 - go to the xbox board you fanboy. He called me a xbox fanboy, lol!

From: baltis never dies | Posted: 3/1/2004 7:02:34 PM | Message Detail
They wen't on to ask questions about the future of the business and what they plan to do to further the market.

J.R. Naughtydog has a full plate for the 1st time in it's life span. Sony has opened up the doors for us to do things we only dreamed about doing when we was programming for the "comador 64" or making "the rings of power" on the genises for EA. We have Jak & Daxter 3 in the pipeline for this year, next year you won't see anything from us and anything after that is a surprise. You won't be disapointed if your a Naughtydog fan.

They askes him what he felt about the comp.

J.R. Nintendo had the drivers and the hardware, not to mention the franchises to make it number 1. They just didn't use them like I would have used them. It has always been my dream to work with the guys at Nintendo on a dream project and if things keep going the way they are, I just might get my wish. "he winks at the camera"

J.R. As for Microsoft. I was worried when they came out of the gate and said it would be 100 times the power of the PS2. Then when it came down to it and we found out it was only 3 times as powerfull we settled down. We knew we could match the production values of anything they brought to the table. I was wrong in my assumption of them being the next dreamcast, as it looks like Nintendo is taking that spot. I do however feel MS and the xbox are little more than fluff for PC heads who need console gaming. In other words Sony is the lead horse in this race and from what we've seen of Sony's next machine is any indication, they are going to put the other guys out to pasture.

The interview went on a bit more, but i'm tired of rewinding it over and over to get everything he said. This is just the legistics of it though. Interesting stuff indeed. Jason Rubins is the man. I love the Dice summit, he's a riot when he get's going.

Interesting information, but horrible presentation on the grammar and spelling and formatting end... -_-

No idea about the validity.

Re: Nintendo & Microsoft tried to buy Naughty Dog before

No idea if it's true or not, but:

As for Microsoft. I was worried when they came out of the gate and said it would be 100 times the power of the PS2. Then when it came down to it and we found out it was only 3 times as powerfull we settled down.

So much about PR talk from the MS side. ;)

In other words Sony is the lead horse in this race and from what we've seen of Sony's next machine is any indication, they are going to put the other guys out to pasture.

And so much about PR talk from the "close to Sony" side. ;)

Fredi

The guy who wrote that thing needs to go back to school and NOT flunk English class this time 'round... Jeez, that was awful.

As for the validity, it could well be genuine, there are no blatantly obvious lies in it (as tends to be the case in most made-up texts).

From: baltis never dies | Posted: 3/1/2004 7:02:34 PM | Message Detail

Never every take anything this guy says to heart, he is a filthy (but quite good) liar and a huge troll.

Bloody hell, Jason Rubin sounds like he'd be on this forum trolling up the place if he wasn't a developer.. what a total tit! :LOL:

Interesting info though, could be true I suppose (Nintendo and MS offering for Naughty Dog).

Jason Rubin has a Doctorate in Computer Science from MIT. Does anyone honestly think he wrote that drivel? Give the guy some credit - an MIT Ph.D. isn't exactly easy to obtain you know. I'm not a stupid man by societal standards by any means (not B3D standards) and yet at a state school I spend almost all my free time working on my Master's.

akira888 said:
Jason Rubin has a Doctorate in Computer Science from MIT. Does anyone honestly think he wrote that drivel? Give the guy some credit - an MIT Ph.D. isn't exactly easy to obtain you know. I'm not a stupid man by societal standards by any means (not B3D standards) and yet at a state school I spend almost all my free time working on my Master's.

One can say he's intelligent enough to know where the money is and he is also intelligent enough to bow down to someone in order to have the necessary budget he needs to make his ideas come true. After all i think there is very little Sony will refuse to him while developing his new games...

Other than that, any "intelligent" person can be PR infused. Talking PR doesn't make someone stupid.

However i must say the above article is a bit over the top. Who knows...

"I was wrong in my assumption of them being the next dreamcast, as it looks like Nintendo is taking that spot."

THIS would be something from Jason Rubin? :rolleyes:

Evil_Cloud said:
"I was wrong in my assumption of them being the next dreamcast, as it looks like Nintendo is taking that spot."

THIS would be something from Jason Rubin? :rolleyes:

:LOL: Who knows... Maybe the interview was done down the local pub after 5 pints of Stella.... ;)

They are correct that Naughty Dog became a wholly owned subsidiary of SCE, but that was in like oktober 2000?

But that Jason Rubin would have said: "I was worried when they came out of the gate and said it would be 100 times the power of the PS2. Then when it came down to it and we found out it was only 3 times as powerfull we settled down." is VERY hard to believe.

Evil_Cloud said:
They are correct that Naughty Dog became a wholly owned subsidiary of SCE, but that was in like oktober 2000?

But that Jason Rubin would have said: "I was worried when they came out of the gate and said it would be 100 times the power of the PS2. Then when it came down to it and we found out it was only 3 times as powerfull we settled down." is VERY hard to believe.

Like Nvidia's CEO saying that PS3 will be a miracle machine and it will take a lot to match? ;)

Worse things have happened, Evil Cloud...

You guys think this is valid?

It has always been my dream to work with the guys at Nintendo on a dream project and if things keep going the way they are, I just might get my wish. "he winks at the camera"

Sounds like fanboi-drivel.

Back