Nintendo will ban users of 3DS flashcards from online

You most likely heard already but just a warning to those who haven't: Nintendo has been banning people who are going online in-game with flashcarts. This appears to be connected to using public headers, which affects Sky3DS users particularly as we can't easily edit our headers or dump headers from retail titles like Gateway users can.

If you're unfamiliar, headers are basically like CD keys are for PC games. Unique identifiers that distinguish your copy of a game from someone else's while playing online. Unlike a CD key though, these are hardcoded into the game cartridge.

When you use Sky3DS DiskWriter to write a game to your microSD card, the program changes the header to one provided in the Sky3DS template file. So the logical conclusion is that Nintendo sees multiple users online with the same header - a "public header" - and bans these users.

This appears to be a console ban and not an NNID ban. Which is worse is a matter of opinion. A console ban means you can never play online with that hardware again, but all your eShop purchases remain available and your account stays active. You can then buy a new 3DS, transfer your content and be more careful next time.

An NNID ban means you lose all your purchased content. You can no longer access the eShop, login with your NNID, or activate content. If you purchase digitally or own a Wii U as well, this could be far more costly. If you have little attachment to your NNID then it would be better. If not, it can be far more devastating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Nintendo decided to revoke the banban?

BTW playing online with backups is looking for trouble. That's why I have two installation of games in my pc and laptop.

One pirated/cracked/no steamed for lan plays or when no Internet. One original installation for online.

Serves these people right for getting banned, I'd say.

Buy the games you play. Simple as that.

Isn't Nintendo decided to revoke the banban?

BTW playing online with backups is looking for trouble. That's why I have two installation of games in my pc and laptop.

One pirated/cracked/no steamed for lan plays or when no Internet. One original installation for online.

Why would you do that? Steam allows offline/LAN play and multiple installations. Unless you are sharing your account I don't see why you wouldn't use steam on both systems.

Anyway I don't see a problem with banning people who use flashcarts. Risk of the game.

@tongue_of_colicab
steam offline did not always work. sure it will 100% work if it goes to online 1st then goes offline. its annoying when i just want to play then i need to look for internet when the offline mode refuse to work. On the other hand, Origin never fails goes to offline mode.

about LAN play, its simply because im the odd one out with original games. Most people play with pirated games and only a few games works fine between original and pirated version. Last time i remember, its Left 4 Dead 2 thats works fine (original game can connect to pirated host, but not vice-versa).

EDIT;
btw the price of the flashcard is the same as original game. i dont understand the benefit of using that if they want to "save money" and risk getting banned. Although using it for region-unlock and modding looks awesome.

last time i read, people also starting to do fan translations.

EDIT2:
btw Steam also "moody" when installing legit game from pirated disc, especially for games that did no have "manifest" on the steam folder. Origin works fine with installing from pirated disc.

Last edited:
1) Considering flash carts are basically for pirating, good.

2) Your link in the post smacks of spam. Nicely dressed up as an infomercial, but still tinned meat. Gone - people can search. I doubt you have any real interest in this board other than as a place to peddle your wares.

EDIT;
btw the price of the flashcard is the same as original game. i dont understand the benefit of using that if they want to "save money" and risk getting banned. Although using it for region-unlock and modding looks awesome.

You didn't need a flash card to play games locked to a different region on the older 3DS. It just needed a file on your SD card and then used some steps with the internet browser and the Nintendo Store to unlock all regions.

You still need legit games for that. It only allows to play games from other regions. The New 3DS doesn't work with that trick, yet, however.

Regards,
SB

Back