Nier

Nier doing good in Japan:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/04/30/media_create_sales_chart/

Similar to Enterbrain's chart, NieR RepliCant lead the way here. The PS3 version of Square Enix's multiplatform action title from the makers of Drakengard debuted with 60,000 units, enough to finally push New Super Mario Bros. Wii from the top spot.

The Media Create top 30 also lets us see where NieR Gestalt placed. The Xbox 360 equivalent of RepliCant placed at 11.

Need to find some gameplay videos.

I cant get what a Gaffer posted long ago in a Nier thread out of my head :LOL:

"(Nier), Fahr, whereeeever you arrreee"

The abstract art style is so weird. At first I thought that's their way of avoiding high Cero ratings for depticting violence against human enemies and such, but then again a lot of high-profile games do just that and get by fine.

It reminds me of Folklore enemy designs quite a bit.

This looks like an accurate review of Nier:
http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/action/nier/review.html

Nier is stuffed with ideas. It is first and foremost a role-playing game, but it incorporates elements from hack-and-slash swordfests, top-down shoot-'em-ups, two-dimensional platformers, and puzzle games. These elements coalesce nicely in the four or five concluding hours, when Nier drops interesting plot developments while giving you a chance to unleash powerful attacks on menacing-looking (if pushover) bosses. Unfortunately, the 25 or 30 hours leading up to that finale are abysmally paced and dreadfully boring. You don't feel you are the hero in a grand adventure as much as an ugly errand boy with bad hair and a sick daughter, wandering through the same uninspired environments over and over and coping with long stretches of nothing. That's a shame, because Nier's fantastic final hours and a few other graceful details pack some emotional punch. But in spite of its exciting coda and a bright fanfare or two, this action RPG is mostly a long and plodding symphony with too many rests and too few high notes.

From GamePro:
http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/215053/nier/#

It may not be the prettiest or most polished action-RPG experience available, but Square Enix's Nier is still a fun title in its own right, creatively melding hack-n-slash gameplay with traditional RPG elements, and topped off with a bizarre, yet engrossing story.

New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/arts/television/04nier.html?scp=1&sq=nier&st=cse

In its game-play structure, Nier defies easy categorization. The combat mechanics are basic and easily grasped as you swing swords and sling spells against otherworldly foes (or you can just go kill sheep and wolves in the wilderness for their meat and hides). There are strong role-playing elements in terms of customizing your equipment and abilities. The direction of the main story line is always clear, and yet there is an open (if small) world to explore and several dozen thoroughly optional side quests.

Perhaps the game has some good ideas, but needs more polishing ?

The fishing game doesn't look too bad from here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irctu0lee9Q

but if you fish at an unintended spot, you'll be owned like the Joystiq editor.

I have not grasped the gameplay yet. Does "hack-n-slash gameplay with traditional RPG elements" = Blizzard's Diablo style ?

I have not grasped the gameplay yet. Does "hack-n-slash gameplay with traditional RPG elements" = Blizzard's Diablo style ?

It has the following:

Slasher, Devil May Cry style.
JRPG, towns, quests, wastelands with monsters etc.
Isometric action-rpg, Diablo style.
Text-based adventure, Zork style.
2D platforming action, Mario style
Classical scroll-shooter.

And I haven't got to side-games here.

That seems a little odd coming from Japan. I thought some Japanese game designer said they usually focus on expanding a main gameplay mechanics throughout the entire game.... like FFXIII combat.

Will give it a look.

Ok, this game is officially on my hit list. Went to my nearest GameStop to have a look. It's sold out there, and not available in the Target next to it. I think this is probably a coincidence, but I'll get it first.

Resonance of Fate will have to wait. :^/

Gamestation.co.uk have it cheap - picked it up for ~33AUD delivered. I thought "why the hell not"? Will give feedback when it gets here.

I'm about 6 or 7 hours in and yeah, it's quite good. The graphics are a bit of a shock at first, granted, but it's not hard to get used to the look.

Combat is pretty cool. It blends a classic combo/block/sidestep/counter melee system with a sort of third-person shooter gameplay, with sometimes even elements from (bullet hell) shmups. Basically your entire set of magic attacks is shmup territory, ranging from steady bullet streams to charged shots and "bombs" (AoE attacks). You can block enemy magic, or scoop it up with a sword attack, to recharge your own mana faster.

I love the exploration. It reminds me a bit of the Gothic games, before they went to shit, except that (outdoors) everything respawns when you cross a zone. There's these little gathering spots where you can find herbs, crafting materials and such, that reroll each time you enter an area. Ie there's a fixed set of possible spots per area, but not all of them will be populated.

It's also keeping good track of the (many) side quests, so it should be easy to come back after a week-long break and still know what's left to do.

You can also fish and grow your own veggies :D

One recommendation though, don't start the game on hard. I do like a challenge myself, but this mostly seems to affect enemy health, and combat gets way too drawn out, even if you do everything right and never take a hit. Seems to me like you can get all of the trophies even on easy mode, if that's a concern.

Is the pacing good ? If the game switches between different control schemes and genra, I assume they need to keep the story and gameplay tight to maintain coherence and intensity.

I wouldn't know about the pacing, as I've put off the main quest and did as many side quests as I could, and they just kept coming, and coming :D

The game doesn't actually "switch" combat types. You're running around 3rd person, and you either shoot or you slash or a mix of both, it's up to you, though of course one or the other will be more effective against certain types of enemies. Likewise, some enemies will fire bullet patterns at you, but it's still done in the usual 3rd-person perspective. There's no transition for that type of stuff.
(there are no battle instances anyway)

... though sometimes the game collapses into a 2D platformer perspective, which is weird. Or it goes into top-down mode. In both cases it changes the right stick to a directional aim, like a twin-stick shooter. Or if you've played Dark Mist, Nier has sections that work just like that, except for the fact that you can still use the sword in close quarters.

Back