nforce2 full multiplier unlock?

sas_simon

Newcomer
I have recently purchased the asus a7n8x deluxe board for my new system that I am building after christmas. I have heard that the board does unlock the mulitplier for the new thoroughbreds but I have also heard that you can not select a multiplier past 12.5x. Is this the case? Is there anyway I can overclock a 2800+ using the multiplier alone?

I have the Epox 8RDA+ nForce2 board, and I can select multipliers higher than default (15) such as 16/16.5/17/18, and I can select multipliers below 15, such as 10 and 12 on my XP 2400+.

It might just be the asus that has the problem :cry: . With asus, too use a multiplier past 12.5, I think, you either have to unlock the multiplier manually or the processor must have the multiplier set as it's default i.e. the 2800+ is 13.5.

I know there is a way to unlock the thoroughbreds manually by connecting 2 pins, does anyone have any articles on this method?

sas_simon said:
I have recently purchased the asus a7n8x deluxe board for my new system that I am building after christmas. I have heard that the board does unlock the mulitplier for the new thoroughbreds but I have also heard that you can not select a multiplier past 12.5x. Is this the case? Is there anyway I can overclock a 2800+ using the multiplier alone?

I think these considerations will be handled by the bios. This would have to be an arbitrary decision by Asus to remain the way you describe it, since there's no reason the hardware can't unlock them all (provided T-Bred B, of course.)

I have an Epox 8RDA and Tbred 1700 and can also only use a multiplier setting of 12.5 and below. What is the deal? Manually unlocking the CPU didn't help any.

J256, have you tried the 3115 [Jan 15th, 2003] beta bios? It may help. I believe the full multiplier fixes haven't been worked out until the C16 [December 16th] beta bios. Have a look at AOAForums.com, in their Epox section. The Epox Tech usually gives them first crack at beta-bioses.

I'm running on the 3115 bios and have no issues at all, running my XP2400+ at 11.5x 200FSB.

It is probably just an immature bios then. Hopefully by the time I build the system, a decent retail bios will be out.

Back