NextGen Games new $70 price point and paid upgrades? [2020-07]

This whole edition pricing thing is a mess, MS really outclassed Sony in this respect.

I think the way they should have went about it was any cross-gen game should be priced the same way and allow players to upgrade for free. That would clearly separate the PS5 only games from cross-gen titles like Horizon: FW.

Last edited:
This whole edition pricing thing is a mess, MS really outclassed Sony in this respect.

I think the way they should have went about it was any cross-gen game should be priced the same way and allow players to upgrade for free. That would clearly separate the PS5 only games from cross-gen titles like Horizon: FW.

I think people overreact a bit. We will see what it ends up being like when the game nears release. Also, why do you think that MS and Sony’s position for these types of games are comparable? Because to me it feels like Microsoft isn’t really releasing anything in the same category when it comes to targeting next gen with exclusives, which then partly due to Covid have some of them retargeted. This is vastly different from MS’ approach.

Where MS primarily has Sony beat is BC, but that’s a known factor and partly because of the PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4 transitions. You already see massive strides forward in this respect now from PS4 to PS5.

Also, why do you think that MS and Sony’s position for these types of games are comparable? Because to me it feels like Microsoft isn’t really releasing anything in the same category when it comes to targeting next gen with exclusives
Technically speaking they are doing the same. Subjectively, there is some wiggle room. But the topic is with respect to games being released on both platforms simultaneously, and whether there is a pricing difference.

I’d say Forza Horizon and Halo Infinite are both likely among some of the most expensive projects out there given the size and scope, subjectively speaking they are likely the best or among the best looking games to be released on Xbox One, and Series Consoles. Scope and gameplay mode wise, are likely the some of the biggest games out there. The engineering challenges may not necessarily be all about pixel pushing, but to say they aren’t comparable would be false.

It is so far just that MS is not charging for next gen, and Sony is. There’s no clear reason provided as to why Sony charges the prices they do on some titles and a different price on the others. MS has so far been consistent in pricing their first party games the same as their last gen pricing.

Last edited:
"Not only that, Ryan promised all PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5) - both digital and physical - will offer a $10 digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5."

i mean i dont know is this a win? Are people happy with that? Currently i am not playstation customer but charging 10 bucks for next gen version? I cant imagine backlash if msft would announce something like that.
How is the price justified?

How is the price justified?

They justified it through higher resolution and/or higher framerate and/or higher quality assets, along with support of haptics with the new controller and supporting the new Activity Card system.

Or were you questioning how is that justified in the eyes of the consumer?

They justified it through higher resolution and/or higher framerate and/or higher quality assets, along with support of haptics with the new controller and supporting the new Activity Card system.

Or were you questioning how is that justified in the eyes of the consumer?

yeah the second one, i dont think its fair. I cant imagine situation where dev would say "well we implemented RTX/DLSS in latest patch thats gonna be 10 bucks more". That is just free pass for charging extra for basicly anything.

yeah the second one, i dont think its fair. I cant imagine situation where dev would say "well we implemented RTX/DLSS in latest patch thats gonna be 10 bucks more". That is just free pass for charging extra for basicly anything.

But is that not capitalism/market economy? You charge as much as you think you can get away with, if the buyer agrees that what they buy is worth the cost, they buy it.
If not, they do not buy it, ending up with either buying something else or not buying anything.

Vote with your wallet and all that.

With that said, does buying the PS4 version and then upgrading to PS5 "always" mean you save $10 with Sony 1st party titles? If so Sony is seriously dumb and I need/have to start doing that :D

Wasn't Call of Duty : black ops cold war $60 on ps4/xbox one but $70 on ps5 / X box series X and S? (checked yes it seemed to of been)

Also I just checked on amazon in the USA
Call of Duty: Vanguard (launches in a few months) is $60 on ps4/xb1 yet $70 on ps5/xbox series x and s

So obviously they feel they can get away with charging $10 more, It will be interesting to see a platform breakdown of Call of Duty: Vanguard, are ppl prepared to spend $10 more for next gen

Sony’s choice here to charge what they want for their titles. If they projected revenues for this year entirely on this price point for all their games, they are unlikely to pull back. Here and there they can offer some bones to throw back, but they largely are decided on this path for the generation.

And thats something i cant agree with. I dont like the path they have chosen with paid upgrades, and with crossplay. I was always thinking to get PS5 when they will be more available or the slim version arrives but i cant support this politic.

Yes from the start it was announced that ‘next gen’ games would cost $10 more.
yeah its nothing new, was announced like year ago, problem with horizon 2 was that firstly they said update will be free and later they said there is no update option but now again free(last free update)

Wasn't Call of Duty : black ops cold war $60 on ps4/xbox one but $70 on ps5 / X box series X and S? (checked yes it seemed to of been)

That is what Activision opted to price their own titles as. So Sony and Activision and maybe some other publishers like 505 Games feel like they can charge the higher next-gen pricing.

i am not saying its new, its just straight BS thats all. I m not surprised that EA and acitivison jumped on this train and charge extra for next gen versions, really no surprise here. I am just sad that sony landed in this company, and worse is they seems to be trying new stuff like with HZ upgrades path only for specific deluxe versions, blocking crossplay BS ... but this is waay off topic. If people are happy ... not my money

Well I just caught up with this whole thing, from before the new prices were even announced, so this has been quite a rollercoaster! Who ever said complaining doesn't work??

I think that if the extra work is done to make sure a game still runs on a PS4, then the PS4 version should be more expensive!! :runaway:

"Not only that, Ryan promised all PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5) - both digital and physical - will offer a $10 digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5."

i mean i dont know is this a win? Are people happy with that?

Games have largely been stuck at a ceiling of $60 for over a decade (360/PS3?) with zero accommodation of increasing costs of development or inflation. An increase was inevitable.

Games have largely been stuck at a ceiling of $60 for over a decade (360/PS3?) with zero accommodation of increasing costs of development or inflation. An increase was inevitable.

Yes, an increase was inevitable, but their implementation for it doesn't make sense. The prices should be increased across the board, not for current-gen only.

Sure but base versions are not getting more expensive. If the price bump is inevitable becouse of inflation or what not I’m fine with it

i am not saying its new, its just straight BS thats all. I m not surprised that EA and acitivison jumped on this train and charge extra for next gen versions, really no surprise here. I am just sad that sony landed in this company, and worse is they seems to be trying new stuff like with HZ upgrades path only for specific deluxe versions, blocking crossplay BS ... but this is waay off topic. If people are happy ... not my money

Activision is the second publisher to commit to a $70 price for - at least one - of its next-gen games.
Following in the footsteps of Take-Two/2K Games, Activision has now confirmed that the standard edition of Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War is priced $70 on PS5 and Xbox Series X.
https://www.vg247.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-70-usd-standard-ps5-xbox-series-x
Article is from August
The first time Sony mentioned charging $70 was in mid september.
So Mr Magoo et al, the implying that sony started this is factual incorrect
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-09-06-sony-to-charge-usd10-for-ps4-to-ps5-game-upgrades

In the 90s, Nintendo Co. rode the popularity of its game machines to set the price of some cartridges at $60. It was Sony that helped drive costs down with the 1994 introduction of the PlayStation and its games printed on compact disc, which were less expensive to produce. That ushered in the era of the $50 game, which continued with Microsoft’s Xbox in 2001. They went back to $60 in the next console generation, a move that happened to coincide with an economic boom in the mid-2000s that continued for another three years. And that’s where prices have stood.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...es-go-up-to-70-the-first-increase-in-15-years

-1x-1.png

(and since this is using inflation calculator the 'true' price would even be higher)

The way sony have handled this is terrible though, Jim Ryan should pay a price (lose this years bonus at the least) personally I dont think $70 is too much as they are cheaper then they have ever been, to matain high costing AAA games either the price has to go up or they have to reduce costs

EDIT: Though personally I think games are overpriced.
I dont like the idea of AAA titles with huge production costs (like the marvel films) which is what sony seems to focus on.

I'ld prefer to see 5 hour long games of $10, I think this is a more healthy environment, but of course we will always get AAA games with massive budgets and marketing costs which convince the populace, oh you MUST play this game now or you will miss out

Last edited:
Back