NextGen Games new $70 price point and paid upgrades? [2020-07]

Ok no. Sorry. On ps5 it will run on ps4 mode till you pay 5 euro upgrade. It was read on other forums...

That sounds like a publisher decisions aka Activision and not Sony, but you get to upgrade for a fee, which it seems you can not on XBox. That sounds weird, but not my article.

From https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/26/21403107/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-next-gen-upgrade-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-x#:~:text=Players who purchase the standard,standard current-gen version).

This year’s Call of Duty game will be available on both current-gen consoles (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) as well as next-gen consoles (PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X). The good news is that Activision and developers Treyarch and Raven Software will support cross-generation cross-play for Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. Less comforting is the somewhat confusing upgrade path that Call of Duty players may face if they plan on purchasing Black Ops Cold War on a current-gen platform this November and later upgrading to the next-gen version.

Black Ops Cold War will be available in both physical and digital forms on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X. (The game is also coming to Windows PC, where it will be sold digitally through Battle.net.)

Players who purchase the standard physical version of Black Ops Cold War on PS4 will be able to upgrade to the PS5 version through the PlayStation Store (seemingly for a fee, since the standard next-gen version of the game costs $10 more than the standard current-gen version). However, if you want to play your physical PS4 copy of Black Ops Cold War on PS5 (with the next-gen upgrades), you’ll need to have the disc in the system. That means that if you’re in the market for the discless Digital Edition of the PlayStation 5, your Black Ops Cold War PS4 disc won’t let you upgrade.

Players who purchase the standard physical version of Black Ops Cold War on Xbox One won’t be able to upgrade to the Xbox Series X version, as PlayStation players can.

However, Activision notes:

Both current generation versions (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) will be playable on their respective next-generation console via backwards compatibility by inserting the disc into the console. But, the game will not include any of the next-generation features, such as higher framerate, hardware-based ray-tracing, faster load times, and more.

Activision will also sell physical versions of the game for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, for $69.99 each. For the Xbox Series X, that physical copy will be playable on both Xbox One and Xbox Series X. (A PS5 physical copy will not function on a PS4.)
[/QUOTE}

That sounds like a publisher decisions aka Activision and not Sony, but you get to upgrade for a fee, which it seems you can not on XBox. That sounds weird, but not my article.
Yea this is accurate.
MS is attempting to stop people for charging for upgrades. They want the publishers to use the smart delivery mechanism, which is 1 license and download the best version of the game for any console. The Xbox Series X/S is the smart delivery license, but it costs $10 than the XBO edition, which is a non-smart delivery license. This of course only applies to the physical copies of the game. The digital copies can support license upgrades.

Hope that makes sense.

tldr; Activision wanted to make more money, so they skirted around smart delivery by forcing 2 separate SKUs on xbox.

Yea this is accurate.
MS is attempting to stop people for charging for upgrades. They want the publishers to use the smart delivery mechanism, which is 1 license and download the best version of the game for any console. The Xbox Series X/S is the smart delivery license, but it costs $10 than the XBO edition, which is a non-smart delivery license. This of course only applies to the physical copies of the game. The digital copies can support license upgrades.

Hope that makes sense.

tldr; Activision wanted to make more money, so they skirted around smart delivery by forcing 2 separate SKUs on xbox.

So you are saying what the article says then, if you have XBox One S or X and a physical copy of the game, you can not upgrade to XSX without buying a new game at full price?
So in theory, publishers could enforce different pricing on XSS/XSX also, or maybe consumers ends up requesting lower price for XSS version.
Ohh well, I do not play COD so I do not care.

So you are saying what the article says then, if you have XBox One S or X and a physical copy of the game, you can not upgrade to XSX without buying a new game at full price?
So in theory, publishers could enforce different pricing on XSS/XSX also, or maybe consumers ends up requesting lower price for XSS version.
Ohh well, I do not play COD so I do not care.
There are 2 copies of the game, one is 59.99 and one is 69.99.
If you pay for 69.99 version of the physical title, it works on all devices. this is the smart delivery SKU - you put this in XBO, it will run the XBO version. If you put this in Series S/X it will run the enhanced X/S versions.

If you pay for the 59.99 version of the physical title, it only works on XBO Generation. This is the locked SKU. If you put this version into a Series X/S console, it will just run backwards compatibility mode.

MS would stop them from charging a price differential between X/S. But they appear to be relaxing on the cross gen rules - likely because COD has too large a pull.

There are 2 copies of the game, one is 59.99 and one is 69.99.
If you pay for 69.99 version of the physical title, it works on all devices.
If you pay for the 59.99 version of the physical title, it only works on XBO Generation.

Yes, but then you are paying for the Next-Gen version, before you have a next-gen box. You might still end up switching platform of choice when you get a next-gen box.
I think Activision seriously made a cluster fuck of this.

It would have been so easy to just, here is current gen version, if / when you go to next-gen, you need to pay x more to a copy. Instead of if this then that thingy, but still not my headache, cod is not for me.

MS would stop them from charging a price differential between X/S. But they appear to be relaxing on the cross gen rules - likely because COD has too large a pull.

Currently, but if the "uproar" gets big enough, then it's not impossible that might change, not likely,but not impossible.

Context around EuroGamer article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-01-we-need-to-talk-about-the-cost-of-next-gen-video-games

We need to talk about the cost of next-gen video games
The new normal.

Next-gen video games cost £70 - this is something that has become apparent in the last month.

Sony, with the in-demand PlayStation 5 near launch, has decided Demon's Souls, Destruction AllStars, and Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales Ultimate Edition all cost £69.99 each. On ShopTo, Gran Turismo 7 costs £69.85 - 14 pence cheaper than RRP. So does PS5 game Returnal. Clearly, if you want to get into PS5 gaming, the true cost of next-gen is £70 games.

But Sony is not alone in selling £70 next-gen games. I've had a look around, and I can't help but feel we're being shafted. PS5 launch title Godfall, published by Borderlands developer Gearbox, costs £70 on Sony's console. The PC version, exclusive to the Epic Games Store for now, costs £50. I know PC games, which are downloads not discs, tend to be cheaper than their console counterparts. But why is Godfall £20 more expensive on PS5 than it is on PC? That doesn't seem right. I asked Gearbox for an explanation for the cost of Godfall, but it has yet to comment.

Here's another game that seems outrageously priced: Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War. On GAME's website, the next-gen versions (PS5 and Xbox Series X) both cost £70 each. The current-gen versions cost £65, which seems ridiculous (they're £60 elsewhere - nice one GAME). Activision is pushing the digital-only cross-gen bundle version of the game, which costs £65 on the PlayStation Store as well as the Microsoft Store. The publisher is not offering a free next-gen upgrade, like other publishers are. It is not making use of Microsoft's Smart Delivery, like other publishers are. If you want to upgrade to next-gen from current-gen, you may have to pay an extra tenner (we've asked Activision how much it will cost, but it hasn't confirmed yet). So you should probably get the £65 cross-gen bundle, just in case. They've got us there, haven't they?

There's more: Hogwarts Legacy is £70. Gotham Knights is £70. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League is £70. It's clear: £70 is the new next-gen normal.

The games industry is not immune to inflation and other rising costs so something has to give.

This is necessary if the quality of games is to remain high. :yep2:

It sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I simply won't buy many AAA games at launch.

I couldn't afford Death Stranding when it released, on account of being dole scum at the time. By the time I could afford to buy it, it had dropped to £30. It's not Kojima's best work, and £30 feels about right.

I just recently bought Borderlands 3 for £10 as well as the Bayonetta & Vanquish double pack for the same price. I'm having a blast with Borderlands and Bayonetta, as I'm sure I will with Vanquish. I feel like I underpaid.

I bought The Last of Us Part 2 at launch, for £53. The gameplay is solid and the graphics are great, but its main appeal, the story, is bloated and muddled. I feel like I overpaid.

It seems that AAA games are pretty fraught in that regard. Smaller indie titles, however, always seem to get their prices right, even at launch. Even if I don't like a game for which I've paid £20, I can reconcile the fact that it's only like having a bad night out on the piss. And indies are often focused enough that I know whether or not I like them within ~5 hours rather than the ~50 hours that AAA titles increasingly skew towards.

Anyway, all that rambling was a roundabout way of saying I'm probably going to keep leaning more in the direction of buying smaller, more focused indie games. But not if they're pixel art, ugly shit like that belongs in MS Paint.

When I was unemployed, I tried out a trial of PSNow, and even then, I barely had enough time to really make use of the service. Between work, exercise, girlfriend, family, friends, and writing, I don't have an enormous amount of time to commit to gaming as it is. I honestly don't know how people manage to consume the sheer amount of entertainment that they seem to.

I'd rather buy a game or two every month or two, rather than indulge in the FOMO driven ADHD that underscores ever more media. In my opinion, everyone and everything needs to slow down and breathe every now and then, rather than pressing on in this endless cocaine fuelled mania.

When I was unemployed, I tried out a trial of PSNow, and even then, I barely had enough time to really make use of the service. Between work, exercise, girlfriend, family, friends, and writing, I don't have an enormous amount of time to commit to gaming as it is. I honestly don't know how people manage to consume the sheer amount of entertainment that they seem to.

I'd rather buy a game or two every month or two, rather than indulge in the FOMO driven ADHD that underscores ever more media. In my opinion, everyone and everything needs to slow down and breathe every now and then, rather than pressing on in this endless cocaine fuelled mania.

This applies more to people who always have to have the latest games more so than subscription services though. I'm convinced that's why so many arguments for disc drives exist even in 2020...constantly buying and re-selling

I haven't bought a new AAA game on day one since GTA5....for Xbox 360...

I hardly game anymore but I would still consider game pass over buying new games because of the simple fact 7 months = 1 new game.....not because I need access to a tonne of content.

Back