Next Nintendo handheld

So wait, the iPhone vaunted to be more powerful then NDS and PSP combined has a lower fillrate then NDS alone? :oops:

Yea that's what I meant - lots of paralel processors clustered together, PSP hw layout is pretty simplistic in comparison.

Little bit offtopic, but why keeps everyone talk about the iPhone specs anyway? what I heard of it phones like the HTC touch diamond are more powerfull (and it sells better too) than the iPhone.

Little bit offtopic, but why keeps everyone talk about the iPhone specs anyway? what I heard of it phones like the HTC touch diamond are more powerfull (and it sells better too) than the iPhone.

They're obviously refering to throughput rates of the 3d part of each SoC (like fill-rates). I've no idea what kind of 3d chip the HTC touch diamond carries; the only thing I know is that the applications processor (?) comes from Qualcolmm. Chances are high that the 3d part comes from AMD/ATI.

More powerful in what regard?
Do you have a source for sales figures of these two (and other) phones?

They gpu (and cpu?) should be faster what I heard of it on forum. As for sales charts I only have the dutch one in wich the Diamond sold almost a million since release while the iPhone did 600k even while that had a big ass marketing campain which the touch diamond didnt had at all. Both released around the same time.

They gpu (and cpu?) should be faster what I heard of it on forum.

You can browse here for details both for the Apple iPhone and the HTC P3700 Touch Diamond. While the integer CPU results are higher than on the iPhone the float performance is rather pathetic; as for the GPU tests you can see detailed results under "low level 3D" for both devices. The P3700 might have some impressive triangle rates in selected benchmarks, yet it's fillrates especially with multitexturing or triangle rates with less than 2 lights leave quite a gap compared to the other one. Plus the fact that it fails with trilinear filtering and all ES1.1 tests. Unless the 3d driver plays some nasty tricks here, any developer that would want to write or port a 3d application on that one, will have to not use multitexturing, stay away from any trilinear, better use only 2 or more parallel lights and stay away from ambient, omni and spot lights. Doesn't sound like a winner to me.

http://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp

As for sales charts I only have the dutch one in wich the Diamond sold almost a million since release while the iPhone did 600k even while that had a big ass marketing campain which the touch diamond didnt had at all. Both released around the same time.
Well I'm not aware how the sales figures look like on a global basis and the dutch results definitely sound interesting, one country isn't naturally anything to go by.

They gpu (and cpu?) should be faster what I heard of it on forum. As for sales charts I only have the dutch one in wich the Diamond sold almost a million since release while the iPhone did 600k even while that had a big ass marketing campain which the touch diamond didnt had at all. Both released around the same time.
Looking at GLBenchmark results the Diamond has higher triangle throughput (though oddly inconsistent). However it loses out at fillrate, even at 16 bit colour depth compared to the iPhone at 32 bit, and game benchmark performance. The CPU shows higher integer performance but trails the iPhone in float calculations. I don't think you can declare one to be more powerful overall.

Sales figures are hard to compare since conditions are very different in each market, as is availability. Apple sold over 6 million first generation iPhones, and estimates for the 3G are between 5 and 6 million so far. Add sales of the iPod Touch and the AppStore distribution platform to that, and you have a very attractive target to develop for. At that point hardware specs start to matter. I doubt the Diamond is anywhere near that point.

Back