Next generation user interface speculation thread

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
The most important technology for the next generation hardware will not be the processing or media technology it employs. The Wii proves, and any console manufacturer wishing to top the Wii that perfecting the user interface will be the way forward for the next generation of consoles. We have seen a lot of user interfaces come to maturity recently, so I think that it is time to have a thread speculating on how users themselves will interface with the next generation of consoles.

Proven Technologies.

Analogue Sticks

Accelerometers

Gyroscopes

Infrared Pointers

Technologies which are nearing maturity

Voice Recognition - We have seen vast improvements in this technology, the processing power and software to run this type of interface is reaching a point where it can be used without much/any training to a users voice. We even have an example of a game which uses this technology (Tom Clancies End War)

Gesture Recognition with cameras - The hands free approach. Arguably this technology could emulate a lot of what the Wiimote does with just a camera. The issues stem from programming to a lot more variables and line of sight. If the camera cannot see the user then the interface isn't going to work. Also requires two cameras for accurate 3 dimensional movement.

Touch sensitive/stylus controls - As seen on the DS, but never seen on a home console. An interesting development, it allows the control scheme to be changed on the controller itself via context or usage model. Essentially it would be similar to using an Iphone interface as a control mechanism for a home console. It is quite synergesic with handheld consoles and is a possible evolution of the Wii-mote type interface.

Powerglove mk 2 - Another possible candidate for future controllers. The example in the link shows a "reverse glove" interface where the hands go around sensors/buttons and it makes the controls symetrical for use in one both or either hand.

Ultrasonic tracking As shown in the link, it enables a controller to determine the distance it is away from the console or determine the distance it is away from another controller. Im not sure how useful this technology could be, but it does seem interesting.

Thats pretty much all the useful interfaces I could think of. Now the speculation part comes in. Its really a question of how a different combination of technologies will be used to create a next generation user interface. For example, Nintendo may employ small touch screens on the next generation Wiimotes in-order to pass context sensitive information or as a user friendly way to add more functionality to the Wiimote itself. For example, place your thumb in a different position if you wish to spin the ball a certain way and have the information about that displayed on the controller itself.

So now, hopefully a bunch of people will give their thoughts and speculation on the difficult question of the next generations user interface.

Real force feed back, not just rumble. I have no idea how they are going to do it, but it will require more power and a lot more space than a usual wiimote og joypad. I have no idea how it will look or how it will fly with consumers, but it IS absolutely necessary to take interaction any further.
Wiimote like controllers are fine, and there is probably room for marginal improvements, like more space to roam in than what is afforded by the IR camera now. But it will only be marginal improvements.
To really takes things further, people need to feel they are *touching* and tactilely interacting with what they are seeing on the screen.
It needs to look good, so people will be willing to have it in their living rooms, and not be something you have to "put on" like a glove.

Maybe a small, thin platform you can sit and/or stand on, to have a relatively firm fixed base, and then a rigid arm attached to that, with actuators and a controller-grib on the end, with buttons...

Real force feed back, not just rumble. I have no idea how they are going to do it, but it will require more power and a lot more space than a usual wiimote og joypad. I have no idea how it will look or how it will fly with consumers, but it IS absolutely necessary to take interaction any further.
Wiimote like controllers are fine, and there is probably room for marginal improvements, like more space to roam in than what is afforded by the IR camera now. But it will only be marginal improvements.
To really takes things further, people need to feel they are *touching* and tactilely interacting with what they are seeing on the screen.
It needs to look good, so people will be willing to have it in their living rooms, and not be something you have to "put on" like a glove.

Maybe a small, thin platform you can sit and/or stand on, to have a relatively firm fixed base, and then a rigid arm attached to that, with actuators and a controller-grib on the end, with buttons...

Squeak, here is what you are looking for (well I am :D):

http://home.novint.com/products/novint_falcon.php

That's exactly how NOT to do it.
First off, you need to have a table in front you all the time to sit the thing on. No leaning back on a couch or your favorite chair.
Secondly, you need to sit with an youstretched arm all the time. No resting your hand in your lab. That will get very tiresome after about 30 minutes of continuous play.
The principle is right, but the execution is lacking in almost every respect.

Are you talking about topping the Wii in sales? Or in interface? I'd argue that the Wii's interface is actually pretty poorly laid out and much more of a hassle than the XMB.

I feel this is the reason that the NXE borrows the Miis and couples that with a very XMB-like interface.

Well I wouldnt be suprissed if we just saw a Wii remote 2.0 with a combination of the other tech.

Anyway this is much harder because we cant do many predictions about what is really possible and cheap enought in a few years (eg most wouldnt belive that Wii remote is a possible thing, in fact IIRC there as someone how said it would (and it has Nintendo plan) but none belived.

Anyway, Wii remote 2.0 + all of those that is possible to include in a "single", "clean", "cheap" and simple design.

Meybe also something that we cant even think of.

Back