Next-Gen SOCOM annouced: SOCOM: Confrontation

If they continue to fix the game, I will try it someday.

If they pulled a Lair, then we are all left hanging high and dry with an incomplete game.

If they continue to fix up the game, I will try it someday.

If they pulled a Lair, then we are all left hanging high and dry with an incomplete game.

The demo/beta was pretty fun, it's sorta surprising that it's such a mess now. I guess compared to LBP server issues this is low priority.

Secondary reviews makes sense, but at the same time, punishing launch reviews should hopefully smack the industry into not launching broken products. If Sony lose sales because they released a broken product, it'd serve them right.

Secondary reviews makes sense, but at the same time, punishing launch reviews should hopefully smack the industry into not launching broken products. If Sony lose sales because they released a broken product, it'd serve them right.

It should be a policy for games that have had major improvements to receive updated reviews. Reviews should be informative to the readers more than punitive to the publishers afterall. I don't care if a game was unplayable at launch if 6 months later it's the best game ever made.

Edit: It works both ways, too. If a game is unplayable at launch, tell me that. Don't rate the game based on what it could be, don't feel sorry for it -- feel sorry for me if I'm going to spend money on the title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of people buy games after the intial 3-5 days of release, so the reviews should reflect the current state of the game. If I open SOCOM on Dec 25th and then read the reviews to see if I want to keep it, I want useful info, not crap to punish Sony that was written about the beta or launch day.

OK, all play question here?.

Via patch, or server update, what can they actually fix or change about a game already released, loaded question I know, but still there recent blog post tells of them changing allot of things, at least more than I thought they could fix, where does the ability of a progammers game code hit unchangable, considering they are willing to change it at there expense.

there last patch size was 550mb, people seem to think that's rather large?.

Also the game requires some data to be written to the harddrive, it's a little over 3gig's, people are also wondering what this is for, but I know this knowledge might help, as apperently it's a special consideration, but I have no clue as to it's content.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a quick check: http://socom.us.playstation.com/default.aspx

1.2 fixed most of the stability and network issues.

1.3 (The next one) will fix:
New Features
SOCOM Awards and PSN Trophies
DTS audio support
Add HUD and scoreboard opacity
Scoreboard invocation improvements (tap select for persistent scoreboard, hold for temporary)
Spectator mode HUD turns off after brief interval
Spectator camera look now respects user invert on/off setting
Spectator camera pan now consistent with in game camera
Add dive-to-prone
Add lean control to d-pad
Gear items stackable
Extend post-round period
Restrict RPGs and grenade launchers in ranked rooms
Increase prone movement speed
Adding support for lefty control configuration (analog stick functions swapped)
Increase frag grenade effectiveness
Prevent incorrect reload interruptions

Bug Fixes
Fix animation issue when prone rolling near certain objects.
Fix remaining issues with statistics gathering and display
Fix bugs related to equipping of C4 in breach mode
Fix occasional audio drop outs
Fix last remaining framerate hitch when other clients late join
Fix remaining stability issues
Fix hostages being affected by smoke

EDIT: Hm... the last paragraph has some good info too:

Of course there will also be many additional smaller fixes included in the patch. Please watch this spot for updates as the patch moves through development and into QA/verification/deployment.

We are also hard at work on an additional patch which will include the remaining community support features. The design and art teams are also making great progress on new content- based on some of the posts in the forums, many of you will be very happy with what is coming down the pipe.

So 1.4 will address additional community features and requests.

SOCOM Confrontation is an amazing game

I used to play SOCOM 2 all the time back in the 2004/2005 time frame, even pulling the occasional and insane 24hr session. I've been playing the latest SOCOM title for a little over a week, and I am planning on grabbing the DLC Cold Front pack soon. Confrontation plays a bit differently (updated in many ways for "realism"), looks far better, has less content, but captures much of what made the original series so much damn fun. On the downside, I usually experience two or more hard crashes (PS3 reboots) per day, the menus are very sluggish, the match-making system is antiquated (players still browse a server list), and it seems that there are more bugs than one can shake a stick at. It is shocking that almost 18 months after release, this title is still in the state that it is in. My biggest complaint so far about the rendering is that, particularly with the larger maps, texture draw-in is very apparent (it's even a problem in the front-end!). Occasionally the framerate will stutter, but I haven't found that that problem affects gameplay. I find all of the exploding scenery (barrels/vehicles) annoying (particularly on Desert Glory) as it is not implemented in a very realistic fashion, but it is not a game-breaker by any means. So far I haven't had much trouble with the darkness of the maps at night (a common complaint), and I haven't yet experienced the changes introduced by the latest patch (1.61 supposedly alters the lighting at night).

What I find amazing is that the game shines despite all of the problems (which would kill just about any other title)- mid last year it was the most played game on PSN (when the issues were even worse!). I am still jolted by grenades (very deadly) going off in my vicinity (sound design is top notch), sneaking about with a suppressed weapon looks/feels/sounds ace, sniping is about the best in the business (Killzone 2 also has awesome sniping), foliage is rendered very nicely (it even moves as you brush up against it), proximity chat is great for surprising the enemies ("You're about to die sniper LOL!" or "Get the FUCK out of my house!"), the lighting/details/design of the levels compensates somewhat for the low-texture resolution, and the team-based gameplay is among the best that you will find, largely because of the community's culture and widespread adoption of mics.

SOCOM remains one of SCEE's most important properties with unique team-based tactical third-person (TBT TPS?) gameplay that one would be hard pressed to find anywhere else. Hopefully the quality of the next iteration will live up to the expectations of a AAA title.