Next-Gen SOCOM annouced: SOCOM: Confrontation

Ah... that's because the official headset will be ready in October. The previous blog seems to hint at some special features (Don't know what again, not the mute button which is known today). For socialization on PSN, I won't expect more until Home becomes more pervasive. Even then, I don't expect voice communication to be the main communication mode.

I might get the PSN version just because it's more convenient for me to switch games. My RFOM disc is perpectually lodged in the drive. I became increasingly lazy to swap it out for short play session. Also if it's a PSN game, I can join online parties more readily.

Playing without the disk, I presume, if you have the HD space. Still, it'd be nice if that were an option on the Blu-Ray.

Warhawk does this, the game is installed even if it's the disc version. I assume this is to keep level loading parity when playing online.

Got the game. Comes with an installer (2 icons will show up when you insert the BD disc). Just to warn people that the installer may take a long time to come back (probably getting server security token or something). This is before the progress bar appears, so you won't get any visual feedback. Be patient (>_<). Mine took 2-3 minutes. Someone in GAF waited for 10 minutes.

Also if you're using the official headset, you might want to check out this page: http://us.playstation.com/Content/Support/Manuals/PS3/pdf/PS3_BTHS_MANL_en.pdf

It's the official headset manual. Took me a while to figure out. I think the headset won't pair if you plug the USB cable into the cradle. That's for charging and probably HQ (high quality) comms mode. To pair the device, you need to use either Bluetooth or plug the USB cable directly into the headset. The socket (another one !) is hidden at the top of the mic.

[strike]After pairing, you should be able to use the mic anyway you want (Bluetooth, USB to mic, USB to cradle).[/strike]
After pairing, you can use the mic via Bluetooth or the USB cradle. I can't seem to get it to work with the cable plugged to the headset directly. In short, the hidden socket on the headset is for pairing only. Silly Sony engineer has to complicate the matter with 1 more port.

Just patched the game to v1.10. Firing up now...

I saw RenegradeRocks' post. I think he's referring to the fact that Socom is experiencing congestion problem. The devs also delayed a few major advertised features to a DLC. RenegradeRocks, I also bought the game for a good headset. I needed one since it's against the law in California now to drive and call without one. Disliked the Warhawk Jabra earphone.

I was able to get in after about 6 attempts and had to leave early for dinner. Will post the headset impression on another thread. The game plays well but there is some stutter now, may be due to the overloaded server infrastructure (or may be not). Will have to confirm when Slant Six solved the issues.

Not surprisingly, I got slaughtered. Will need to invest a fair amount of time to get up to speed (Mainly because my aim was abyssal). I loved the gunshot sound. It's very realistic as the shot echoed through the level. I also get to spectate when I died. So it helped me to learn the maps and the tactics people used.

I played with the in-game commands a little. It seems that no one used them. It's all own-time-own-target.

Where did my post go ? :oops:
Nah, patsu , I was just teasing you for having so many games and time to play them.Me, on the other hand, has money for just LBP and R2 and probably time for none ;)As for the headset, even I need to have one for R2 co-op and LBP co-op, but I don't think I'll buy Socom for it, I just won't have the time to learn and enjoy it. I guess, I'll get the standalone headset. Do post your impressins of the headset.
And, where was I referring to the Socom having congestion problems?!?!? :???:

LOL ! I inferred it because you said "I get any game I want instead of choosing them". :)

I wanted it more for the headset. They didn't have the standalone version, and I was sick of waiting. Have been answering cell while driving for the past 2 months, which is illegal by the way. ^_^

If I don't like it, I can sell the game back to GameStop for $10. Have not decided what to do yet. Will probably put more play time in it. Since it's not a flight game, I think I can manage after some practices.

Socom patches coming...
http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/10/SOCOM-Confrontation-Update-October-20th,-2008.aspx

Hello,

I wanted to keep everyone up to date on where we are and what we are doing.

The consumer response to SOCOM: Confrontation has been huge. We are consistently seeing almost 100,000 people log in everyday with peaks of 25,000 simultaneous users. On average, you are playing about 3.1 hours per person with a total of 300,000 player hours everyday. I would like to thank all of you for helping to make SOCOM: Confrontation such a great success.

As I'm sure many of you are aware, the launch has not gone without its share of problems. Unfortunately, the server environment is not holding up during peak loads. We've made many changes and improvements to the server to improve the issues (the first few days were really rocky) but we are still seeing server issues when we get up to around 25,000 simultaneous players during peak hours. Our primary focus at this time is to resolve these server issues. We have all available resources looking into the issues and we are trying to resolve them as quickly as possible. It is not as easy as adding more servers, we have to identify and fix the bottlenecks in the system which are preventing the servers from scaling properly. The servers should continue to get progressively better as we roll out server side updates.

As a reminder, our scheduled daily server maintenance is between 5am and 8am PDT (8am to 11am EDT). We bring the servers down during this time to roll out updates. The servers will usually only be down for about 20-30 minutes but some updates may take longer.

In parallel to the server updates, we are also working on a new client patch which resolves some client side stability issues. These issues include getting booted to the XMB, large number of players getting disconnected from a specific game and other issues. We've been working on and testing this since the game launched and we should have a final version ready for release in the next week or so. It is hard to provide an exact date or timeframe as we need to make sure the patch is thoroughly tested and does not introduce any new issues.

We are also working on a patch to enable trophies and address various user feedback but this will be after the stability patch. Our top priority is getting both the servers and client as stable as possible before making any changes which could possibly cause other issues. Please continue to provide feedback in the SOCOM: Confrontation PlayStation.com forum. We do read it and use the feedback to make further changes and tweaks in future updates.

Regards,

Seth Luisi
Director of Development
Sony Computer Entertainment America

I encountered plenty of server disconnects. They better fix this fast.

I have not hopped back in since I tried it the first 2 days.

I assume the disconnects are still there. Will try again next week when the patch hit the streets. The competitive game is short and sweet. Even though I get shot up there too (>_<), I can see why some people liked/loved Socom.

Patsu, Don't bother this game has blunderd something fierce. I have been a longtime SOCOM junky and this game dissappoints!. I too have had constant freezes where the game locks up the whole PS3 and you have to do a manual reboot, Everyone is wondering if they are ruining there PS3's playing this game? I have given up and moved back to COD4, there latest blog entry states they are commited to making SOCOM Confrontation the best online shooter out there, that's a very tall order indeed!!!.

Man and I so!!! looked forward to this game too, what a shame it has taken this route. All of the reviews are not so good?, Man I have heard that they have worked on this game for more than 2 years?, it looks to me it was rushed somehow? Even after the patch they released the game is still having freezing issues??

link to ign reveiw "a rating of only 4.5" http://ps3.ign.com/articles/925/925834p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The patch has fixed most of the disconnects and hangs I read, but they still have feature to add and bugs to fix. While they released before they were ready, reviews should either wait or go back and revisit online only games which are patched, otherwise the review is obsolete as soon as it goes online, like IGN's was.