Next Gen Not Likely to be Backward Compatible says EA CFO

XpiderMX

Veteran
From Blake Jorgensen(EA's CFO):

"An important thing to remember is that next-gen consoles will most likely not be backwards compatible… And if you [play] multiplayer on a game, you'll most likely not be able to play with someone on a different generation. And so if you're a FIFA player and, and the soccer season's starting in August, and all your friends are playing FIFA, you're going to want to be on the same box that they're on. So if they all go out and buy a gen-four box if it comes out at Christmas, then you'll most likely do it. If they all hold on and continue to play on third-generation, you'll probably not see that box purchase until after the soccer season's over.

"And I think that works for us positively in both ways. It helps us continue to sell gen-three products, and it will help us sell gen-four product as that cycle finally gets into place."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...e_beans_on_its_nextgen_plans.php#.URq8OvLA1R1

Conspiracy foil hat: So that's how they plan to get rid of current gen HW stock. :rolleyes:

Reality hat: Never had high hopes, but I'm not likely to spend on consoles going forwards anyway. Been shifting back to PC. I may end up buying a spare HW unit for what online purchases I don't expect to receive "HD re-releases", and which will likely never see the light of day on next-gen (e.g. Rock Band etc). Kinda just hope they do make a really small version of current gen HW, perhaps even without an optical drive.

Conspiracy foil hat: So that's how they plan to get rid of current gen HW stock. :rolleyes:

Reality hat: Never had high hopes, but I'll be less likely to spend on consoles anyway. I may end up buying a spare HW unit for what online purchases I don't expect to receive "HD re-releases", and which will likely never see the light of day on next-gen (I'm niche I guess). Kinda just hope they do make a really small version of current gen HW, perhaps even without an optical drive.

Yeah, as I get older and older, I'm less and less inclined to have more than one gaming machine. And since I cannot ever give up PC gaming (quality RTS and quality MMOs just don't really exist on console) that means the only way I'm likely to get a next gen console is if it has brilliant and robust living room media capabilities. Basically it has to outdo what my HTPC can do in the living room. Voice and gesture commands and robust integration may be the ticket to that.

Exclusive games just aren't going to be enough for me to justify the purchase of a console anymore.

Regards,
SB

Thanks for moving to a new thread ;)

This is a little bit weird:

And if you [play] multiplayer on a game, you'll most likely not be able to play with someone on a different generation.

Incompatible online services between generations?

Not just between generations but between platforms.

Since EA runs the servers for their own sports games, there's no technical reason why they couldn't have allowed for cross-platform play for their various sports games (Football/US Football/Hockey/ etc). They'd only have to ensure a network-compatible data stream. To get around the different gamertags thing, they would just have you register your gamer-tag with their Origin ID, then when you search for games you get paired up with other players and see their Origin ID not their XBL-GT or PSN-GT.

Odd !

Maybe on a game-by-game basis, or perhaps because the platform holders will miss their integration deadline ? :) e.g., At launch, Vita trophies were (are ?) not visible from PS3.

Other than these integration issues, Vita could cross-play with PS3 over PSN. There should be no technical reason why PS4 can't work with PS3. According to the Kotaku Orbis rumor, PS4 will have a more sophisticated PSN account scheme.

Some features such as in-game video chat of course won't be available to PS3 due to memory size limitation. In fact, some Vita features (e.g., LiveArea notifications) are missing from PS3. They are part of Vita's exclusive social gaming experience.

EDIT: Oh wait, perhaps Microsoft and Sony want Origin integration done differently to be more accountable to hacks.

Not just between generations but between platforms.

Since EA runs the servers for their own sports games, there's no technical reason why they couldn't have allowed for cross-platform play for their various sports games (Football/US Football/Hockey/ etc). They'd only have to ensure a network-compatible data stream. To get around the different gamertags thing, they would just have you register your gamer-tag with their Origin ID, then when you search for games you get paired up with other players and see their Origin ID not their XBL-GT or PSN-GT.

There is not multiplayer between platforms now either.

Right, but there's no technical reason for it not to be available now between PC/PS3/XB360/WiiU and certainly no technical reason why it couldn't be available in the future between PC/PS3/XB360/PS4/XB720/WiiU.

It's extremely painful to test and you tend to see subtle unpredictable bugs, so devs generally try and avoid it.

Shadowrun still is played between PC and 360 players. I play it frequently.

Still one of the best multiplayer games available on the 360. Well worth buying used for the 360 if one likes multiplayer.

Shadowrun still is played between PC and 360 players. I play it frequently.

Still one of the best multiplayer games available on the 360. Well worth buying used for the 360 if one likes multiplayer.

Same service (Xbox Live). And FFXI/PSU are crossed online games, but are the exceptions, MS don't like cross platform online, only XBL (I guess it was a issue for porting FFIV).

Sure i expected PS4 at the very least would be non BC, but i suppose now this just diminishes any "ecosystem" bullcrap that MS or Sony try and pull on you.

Backwards compatibility in Durango never seemed any more likely. Microsoft could either try offering recompiled/patched version of a subset of games, or just maintain a high end SKU with the hardware built in.

I think Sony could go a long way to placating the hardcore by just announcing there will be a hardware backwards compatibility add-on available for the PS4 eventually. Use that patent they have, build in a custom Lightpeak port and then just wait until the 22nm Cell/RSX shrink is ready to actually start selling the thing for $100. By the time it's actually out I'd bet a majority of the people who demanded BC wouldn't care enough to buy it anymore.

Yeah, as I get older and older, I'm less and less inclined to have more than one gaming machine. And since I cannot ever give up PC gaming (quality RTS and quality MMOs just don't really exist on console) that means the only way I'm likely to get a next gen console is if it has brilliant and robust living room media capabilities. Basically it has to outdo what my HTPC can do in the living room. Voice and gesture commands and robust integration may be the ticket to that.

Exclusive games just aren't going to be enough for me to justify the purchase of a console anymore.

Regards,
SB
same, the htpc capability would be deciding factor. i mean if it could play mkv from samba server. the remote controller could be fine , the gesture or voice control maybe not respond or work perfectly. maybe steambox with amd apu could be justified,i don't know.

Backwards compatibility in Durango never seemed any more likely. Microsoft could either try offering recompiled/patched version of a subset of games, or just maintain a high end SKU with the hardware built in.

I think Sony could go a long way to placating the hardcore by just announcing there will be a hardware backwards compatibility add-on available for the PS4 eventually. Use that patent they have, build in a custom Lightpeak port and then just wait until the 22nm Cell/RSX shrink is ready to actually start selling the thing for $100. By the time it's actually out I'd bet a majority of the people who demanded BC wouldn't care enough to buy it anymore.

Yes. I would happily buy a Durango with a Valhalla chip or similar for Orbis. However, even by integrating that in, the motherboard and other design issues likely make it cost prohibitive. I'm sure Sony still has a sour taste in their mouth from including PS2 hardware in every PS3. And this generation has proven that previous gen games can be monetized with HD re-releases and PSN/XBL releases.

Yes. I would happily buy a Durango with a Valhalla chip or similar for Orbis. However, even by integrating that in, the motherboard and other design issues likely make it cost prohibitive. I'm sure Sony still has a sour taste in their mouth from including PS2 hardware in every PS3. And this generation has proven that previous gen games can be monetized with HD re-releases and PSN/XBL releases.

They are lucky they didn't make the PS2 chips an integral part of PS3 development like the PSOne chip was to the PS2 or they would have never been able to cut costs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47777881&postcount=1

WSJ said:
The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.

>_< Doubtful.

Anyone knows how Gaikai works ? If I have PS3 assets (on disc) locally, can it sidestep the network limitations somehow ?

If the report is accurate, then it probably refers to only a few PS3 (PSN) titles.

Back