Next-Gen lists Europes 50 Top Studios

Crossbar

Veteran
Here is how the countries are weighted with regard to importance:
We have given each studio a point score based on the result of the analysis – the top rated studio on the list is worth 50 points, the number two studio 49 points, and so on. We have summed these points based on the developer’s home country, creating a leaderboard of the top European nations in the game industry. We present this leaderboard in the spirit of friendly international competition!

1. England – 887 Points
2. France – 109 Points
3. Scotland – 77 Points
4. Sweden – 58 Points
5. Germany – 51 Points
6. Denmark – 37 Points
7. The Netherlands – 16 Points
8. Ukraine – 12 Points
9. Norway – 9 Points
10. Romania – 8 Points
11. Finland – 7 Points
12. Russia – 4 Points
Go read the full article, very informative:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5495&Itemid=2

I guess the points can be discussed to death. For example, I don't understand why the Avalanche Studio is placed ahead of Starbreeze among the Swedish studios, but all in all I guess its a nice compilation of important European studios.

Last edited by a moderator:
Americans commonly don't understand the difference between England and the United Kingdom, so to them, the UK is called England.

Maybe we should start calling the United States Washington or New York? ;)

Americans commonly don't understand the difference between England and the United Kingdom, so to them, the UK is called England.

Maybe we should start calling the United States Washington or New York? ;)

I agree with what you're saying Shifty, though I don't think your analogy is very accurate... ;)

(btw: I'm not american!)

BTW: Where's Ninja Theory on the list? :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops... :oops:

*phil runs far away never to be seen, as he can no longer live with the shame...

Why not? Washington and New York are states and the states are fairly independent.

Because the United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy composed of four constituent countries, where as the United States is a country composed of 50 states.

Because the United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy composed of four constituent countries, where as the United States is a country composed of 50 states.

Well yeah, but I still think the analogy was better than an average car analogy :smile:

Well yeah, but I still think the analogy was better than an average car analogy :smile:

Yeah... though I must say, I like the car ones too.. (points to sig) :p

To bring this back on topic: It's interesting to see some of the studios listed, but I do find it quite disturbing that Ninja Theory didn't make the best 50. After all, even the game on Xbox was quite well received, but didn't quite get the attention it deserved...

Another thing that I find quite interesting is that Sony seems to own quite a few studios in Europe - SCE Liverpool, Studio London, Cambridge, Evolution Studios, the KillZone devs (always get the name wrong <sigh>)...

But Scotland is on the list...
It sure is. I was responding to the OP's comments with an expert explanation, only to find Crossbar's a lunatic and the article never placed Edinburgh in England! (When checking the article myself, I guessed they had edited it toot-suite to avoid the wrath of the Scots)

Back