New famitsu next-gen survey

Angelcurio

Regular
Copied from Gaf:

Testicular Sound Express said:
The wii god really good percentages...now I wish more developers would make and announce games x_X

Famitsu recently ran a poll with 58 developers at 19 Japanese game companies concerning next generation consoles/software. Check out their responses below.

What are your expectations for next-gen consoles?

PS3 - 48% Extremely high expectations
32% High expectations
18% Low expectations

Xbox 360 - 13% Extremely high expectations
40% High expectations and
45% Low expectations

Wii - 63% Extremely high expectations
36% High expectations
1% Low expectations

For each next gen system, what software are you looking forward to the most?

PS3’s lineup - Metal Gear Solid 4 (12 votes)
Final Fantasy XIII (10 votes)
The Eye of Judgment (7 votes)
Afrika (6 votes)
Heavenly Sword (4 votes)

Xbox 360 - Blue Dragon (18 votes)
Lost Odyssey (14 votes)
Culdecept Saga (8 votes)
Dead Rising (4 votes)
Gundam Operation Troy (4 votes)

Wii - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (26 votes)
Super Mario Galaxy (8 votes)
Wii Sports (5 votes)
Animal Crossing (3 votes)
Super Smash Brothers Brawl (3 votes)

What is your favorite part of each next-gen system?

PS3 - Visual power took the top spot on (19 votes)
Overall hardware specs (10 votes)
Cell’s computation abilities (9 votes)
Built-in hard disk (3 votes)
Blu-Ray (3 votes)

Xbox 360 - Xbox Live (18 votes)
Ease of development (13 votes)
Connectivity with Windows Vista (12 votes)
Visual power (6 votes)
Overall hardware balance (4 votes)

Wii - Wiimote (34 votes).
Wii Connect 24 (9 votes)
Virtual Console (6 votes)
Ease of development (4 votes)
Console price (3 votes)

What next-gen console do you believe will sell the most?

Wii - 60%
PS3 - 37%
Xbox 360 - 3%

What next-gen console would you like to develop for the most?

Wii - 63%
PS3 - 32%
Xbox 360 - 5%.

What next-gen console are you most looking forward to owning?

Wii - 49%
PS3 - 42%
Xbox 360 - 9%.

Looks like Heavenly Sword is really gathering interest in Japan. Ninja Theory, you should be proud of your work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wii - 63% Extremely high expectations
36% High expectations
1% Low expectations

What next-gen console do you believe will sell the most?

Wii - 60%
PS3 - 37%
Xbox 360 - 3%

Whoa. They seem to havea lot of faith in Nintendo over there. Interesting.

Not surprising really. Nintendo has been on a roll lately when it comes to polls. People really are interested in Wii.

Do they list which 19 companies they talked to?

Based in the sales question, I am assuming they are talking about the Japanese market exclusively and am wondering how may of these developers make games for the Japanese market exclusively.

For each next gen system, what software are you looking forward to the most?

PS3’s lineup - Metal Gear Solid 4 (12 votes)
Final Fantasy XIII (10 votes)
The Eye of Judgment (7 votes)
Afrika (6 votes)
Heavenly Sword (4 votes)

Xbox 360 - Blue Dragon (18 votes)
Lost Odyssey (14 votes)
Culdecept Saga (8 votes)
Dead Rising (4 votes)
Gundam Operation Troy (4 votes)

Wii - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (26 votes)
Super Mario Galaxy (8 votes)
Wii Sports (5 votes)
Animal Crossing (3 votes)
Super Smash Brothers Brawl (3 votes)

It is also interesting to point out that they are looking forward into "Blue Dragon" and "Lost Odyssey" more than anything else on PS3 including MGS4. I guess if MS does one thing right in Japan, it is these two games. It will be really interesting to see how well these three consoles do in this territory next year.

It is also interesting to point out that they are looking forward into "Blue Dragon" and "Lost Odyssey" more than anything else on PS3 including MGS4.
I think you're reading that wrong. I think it's a case of 'out of the titles for that platform, which are you most loking forwards to' and not 'out of all platforms, which games are you most looking forward to.'

I agree with Shifty's intrepretation of the question and the response. I think they were 'forced' to pick an answer, so their responses don't seem odd at all.

What I did find interesting is while they all hate the 360, they apparently like all its advantages. Ease of development, and Live! Anywhere/Vista connectivity.

It seems to indicate to me that they like the direction MS went with the console, but they hate it for "other" reasons.

I'd really like to know what those other reasons are. That would be an interesting poll.

I think you're reading that wrong. I think it's a case of 'out of the titles for that platform, which are you most loking forwards to' and not 'out of all platforms, which games are you most looking forward to.'

I think you are right. However, it might be also interesting if they combine the list and make the test again :)

What I don't get is how there are not 56 total answers in any and every category. It just seems bizzarre. I guess some question categories were opt-out?

What I don't get is how there are not 56 total answers in any and every category. It just seems bizzarre. I guess some question categories were opt-out?

Could be there was more than 5 choices in each of the questions and they just took the top five to post.

Well, according to next gen biz, those results show that interest in the ps3 actually rised considering that they were lower some time ago:

Survey: Japan PS3 Interest Rising

According to Japanese technology site ITmedia, the PlayStation 3 nearly matches the Wii in terms of consumer interest.

ITmedia reported the results of a Japanese survey, which asked respondents to mark which next generation console they plan to buy by the end of the year.

The Wii came out on top with a 40 percent share, but the more expensive PlayStation 3 followed very close behind with 39 percent.

The Xbox 360 remains the underdog in Japan by far, with 16 percent of respondents showing a preference for Microsoft’s console. Three percent selected “other.â€￾

Recently, Japanese game magazine Gamaga released the results of a poll that showed over 65 percent of respondents intended to buy a Wii, 20 percent would buy a PS3 and 14 percent would by an Xbox 360. Of course, Gamaga’s readership is more focused than ITmedia’s.

The apparent jump in PS3 interest seems to be in correlation with the recent Japanese price drop of the 20GB PS3 model from just over 60,000 yen ($516) to 49,980 yen ($430).

Link: http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3956&Itemid=2

That's a different poll altogether mind you...

Good pick-up for PS3 against the Wii, and honestly, not a bad showing for 360 either. There's such an obvious disconnect though between the sales rate and that ~15% interest number that I have to wonder who's getting polled.

That's a different poll altogether mind you...

Good pick-up for PS3 against the Wii, and honestly, not a bad showing for 360 either. There's such an obvious disconnect though between the sales rate and that ~15% interest number that I have to wonder who's getting polled.

That's why I said I wanted to know what companies were polled.

If they were primarily Japanese-exclusive developers who didn't ship their games to other markets than the 360 sales rate would be much lower than if they were polling companies and people who make games that sell the most in western markets. Likewise the interest would be extremely low as it's a system that's still not even a consideration for most Japanese-exclusive developers.

The Xbox 360 remains the underdog in Japan by far, with 16 percent of respondents showing a preference for Microsoft’s console. Three percent selected “other.â€￾
What "other" next-gen console is there? :oops:

Back