News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why that would be necessary - or in fact what the gain would be at all - as long as the disc remains in the drive.

It just hit me, killing or throttling used game market may also enable diskless gameplay once fully installed from a disc.

The idea is that everything would be treated as a downloaded version of the game, and the disk would be simply a faster way to install the game. It's still a scary thought of DRM hell.

My prefered solution would be the best of both worlds. Allow playing diskless this way (online DRM, like the PS Store), but still allow you to play with the disc in the drive wherever you want without requiring any remote server permission. The problem with this is that it would allow two consoles to play (the one that installed it, and the one offline with the disk).

The idea is that everything would be treated as a downloaded version of the game, and the disk would be simply a faster way to install the game. It's still a scary thought of DRM hell.

My prefered solution would be the best of both worlds. Allow playing diskless this way (online DRM, like the PS Store), but still allow you to play with the disc in the drive wherever you want without requiring any remote server permission. The problem with this is that it would allow two consoles to play (the one that installed it, and the one offline with the disk).
But only two, so it might be a reasonable compromise. Also, you could easily check once the console came online again, and disable the installed copy (require the disc next time it is started, otherwise, demo mode). It's how I would like to see the used game market work.

Perhaps when you install the game to HDD, "disable" the disc or write the PSN id into the disc.
Enable the disc again when you uninstall the game from HDD.

I thought they filed a Blu-ray used game detection patent that got them into trouble couple of years ago ?

Does that patent require online check ?

The recent used game blocking patent from Sony relied on something like RFIDs, and was not dependent on Internet access at all. That was why it was so novel.

Stolen from GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=555494

Dualshock 4 prototype hands-on (some new in-depth info, some we already knew):

- Some components are still being refined (like the d-pad and overall weight)

- Deadzone on the analog sticks has been greatly reduced.

- Both sticks feature stiffer resistance.

- Thumbs bumping into each other is no longer an issue, the analog sticks are spaced farther apart.

- Analog sticks have a ridged concave top that prevent your thumbs from slipping off.

- Stuck with symmetrical design because the assymetrical design would cause more dificulties to interact with the touchpad without unintentionally bumping into the left stick.

- Touchpad is multi-touch, replaces start and select buttons.

- Ridge at the end of the triggers grasps at your fingers instead of letting them slide off.

- There is a small speaker above the ps button, below the touchpad.

- Lightbar works in conjunction with the ps4 eye to track your position and adjusts the split screen accordingly.

- Controller felt comfortable and sturdy.

- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

- Writer of the article says the controller is a big reason for gamers to be excited for the console.

Guerrilla Games is the one that wanted a good controller for FPS not Bungie and in fact helped to re-design the triggers.
Source here.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Got input from Bungie (and a bunch of first party studios) for designing the DS4, Bungie really wanted to make it a controller that worked great for fps games.

They both contributed, according to GameInformer and your source, Edge.

I remember they spent close to $2b for the Cell fabs, plus a 5 year R&D period to recover. BR also increased the burden initially.

In comparison to PS3, PS4 will be cheaper to make upfront. But market condition has changed drastically. MGS4 jump started PS3's sales amidst extremely negative buzz. PS4 will need its own breakthrough in this tougher market. The hype can turn negative quickly on the net.

I remember they spent close to $2b for the Cell fabs, plus a 5 year R&D period to recover. BR also increased the burden initially.

In comparison to PS3, PS4 will be cheaper to make upfront. But market condition has changed drastically. MGS4 jump started PS3's sales amidst extremely negative buzz. PS4 will need is own breakthrough in this tougher market. The hype can turn negative quickly on the net.

MGS4 was a blip for a week or so at best. The PS3 sales took off when the slim released, which thanks to Sony's aggressive price reduction strategy, they managed to cost reduce just in time to save both the platform and themselves from complete bankrupcy.

It was symbolic for PS3 *software* sales and system seller. Before MGS4, people were anticipating one system seller after another. Negative buzz was "everywhere". I vaguely remember some publisher commented that MGS4 proved that PS3 can sell games too. ^_^

In comparison to PS3, PS4 will be cheaper to make upfront. But market condition has changed drastically. MGS4 jump started PS3's sales amidst extremely negative buzz. PS4 will need is own breakthrough in this tougher market. The hype can turn negative quickly on the net.
In fact, Sony themselves have confirmed that the PS4 won't suffer major losses at launch, unlike PS3. Question is how much it is going to cost the PS4.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/09/sony-ps4-wont-be-as-big-a-loss-as-ps3/

The huge in-house investments they made to develop the Cell chip are a thing of the past. They also their financial results for the fiscal year and reported a net profit -the first in 5 years- with earnings of 434 million dollars.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...oks-first-annual-net-profit-in-fi/668862.html

sony-ces-2013-03.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

Undeclared profits from currency exchanges are also bringing them back into the green big time. They'll make bank with PS4 as the Yen will continue to fall for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back