News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitchings

Newcomer

This is worth taking a look at:

http://gamingeverything.com/44227/lots-of-ps4-hardware-tidbits/

Even though no numbers are mentioned, the mention of a modified GPU and ACE's for Compute certainly reinforces rumours regarding the 8 ACE's & 8 CL's.

2. Xenus

Veteran

There is also talk of the PS4 controller having your profile and possibly saved games on it. Which would be cool.

3. wco81

Legend

In order to be the central device, it has to be able to run the cable or satellite channels.

Maybe DVR, maybe access to on-demand content.

Even core gamers aren't playing all the time.

Otherwise, most of the time, the TV input is going to be on the TV set top box or DVR.

4. Rangers

Legend

So it's looking more and more like a dual camera will be in every PS3.

Whatever excuse MS had for (possibly) going underpowered was just rendered moot.

5. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

Only if you believe the reason for a lower TDP/BOM is kinect.

The addition of camera's is Sony not wanting to be left out of social features imo.

6. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I have questions for the following points

I guess that is referring to Dev use right?

Is it saying that the touchpad is actually a tiny screen?

What about 3D space and body tracking?
    Walkhrough vids? Like showing yourself talking how to finish a game?

I have no idea what that meant

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

No mention of PSMobile games on PS4.

8. (((interference)))

Veteran

The inclusion of Kinect in the BOM was one of the reasons for a lower power console, but not the only reason.

MS wanted an affordable console and one that they wouldn't have to bleed money subsidising.

Looks like Sony will be subsidizing the PS4 if they want to be price competitive with 720.

9. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I can't call it an addition this time, and it's definitely not reactionary (not wanting to be left out? really?) they started with this idea in 1999, and there's been a constant evolution until they now bundle it with the system. Sony pioneered the webcam on a game console, and they should have included it with the PS3 (the reason they didn't is left as an exercise for the reader). If you watch Mark Cerny's presentation, it's clear that the PS4 was designed with the camera in mind from the start, and that social features were at the core of his ideas.

I won't comment about Kinect, because this is the PS4 thread. (I know, sometimes it's hard to tell, but hopefully I managed)

10. Gradthrawn

Veteran

Yep, this quote came out of GDC along with the mentioning of the tool chain being integrated with VS 2010 and 2012.

No, they're referring to the sensitivity of the touchpad. If you were to view it as a screen, the individual pixels would make up each unique point that it can detect input and output a value for devs to use.

In Heavy Rain, there were numerous permanent choices. It would seem they're referring to being able to see, potentially in game, what choices you friends made at a given choice you're at or completed. Pretty interesting, IMO. Reminds me of the ME player choice data (which just came out for ME3, IIRC) except potentially in game or maybe on the "Live Area" of the game screen before launching.

11. function

function None functional
    Legend Veteran

Actually that was Sega! It was always Sega. Everything was Sega. They did screens in pads and speakers in pads and portable to handheld connectivity and waggle controllers first too. And all with the Dreamcast.

DLC? Dreamcast. Retro games bought online? Dreamcast. Online gaming network? Dreamcast. VOIP and video chat? Dreamcast. Network portal with customised user "content" and "adverts"? Dreamcast. Single use online activation codes (for anti piracy in this case)? lol DC.

This is yet another generation based on picking bits off the carcass of the Dreamcast. Neither Sony nor MS can particularly claim the high ground when it comes to being pioneers, although they've both iterated successfully on ideas that others pioneered and made some really cool stuff.

I will stop now, before I copy more items from the list of "Dreamcast things" that I tattooed to my body using a pair of compasses and biro.

12. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Ha ha! Yes, I bow my head in shame. :frown:
    They had a fishing controller... a freakin fishing controller.

13. patsu

Legend

Do you have a link ?

Kaz or Andrew House's team restricted it to mobile only when they renamed PS Suite to PS Mobile.

Perhaps MS want to groom h/w partners. The h/w has to be sold for a profit for Samsung and Panasonic to be interested.

14. Gradthrawn

Veteran

Instead of doing 10 separate small articles to increase the ad click-through rate, Ars has 1 nice compilation article. Has some good info and a bit more detail than some of the others.

I think people are reading too much into a profile being "attached" to a controller. I'm guessing what they're actually referring to is assigning a PSN profile to each controller for local MP games, the same manner some games handle it now. There would be no data on the actual controller, just a PSN profile attached to the controller number. That's just my assumption though.

A bit more clarification to my earlier point provided in the Ars article:

Looks like they were talking about in-game feedback on Friend's choices. Nice.

15. BadTB25

Veteran

Also Samba de Amigo

16. Silent_Buddha

Legend

It should be cheaper than implementing a more expensive, say Firewire based solution. Would adding another Ethernet based PHY be cheaper? Coming up with a custom solution offering enough bandwidth for dual relatively high resolution cams + 4 audio streams?

AFAIK, at most they'd have to put in a USB root hub in the device if more than 2x USB 3.0 devices are needed. And that's assuming the Jaguar module isn't spec'd by Sony to have support for more than 2x USB 3.0 I/Os anyway.

Regards,
    SB

17. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Maybe it's less expensive to use a real USB 3.0, so they can put a mass-produced webcam chipsets in the pseye, and just make it a custom connector (add more power? audio?). I don't think they need anything fancier than this. If I can purchase a dual USB 3.0 PCIe card for $12 at monoprice, I doubt it's really expensive to implement.

I think the key is in the cost of the connector and the tranceiver/equalizer. For that, nothing beats USB 3.0. There isn't anything else that can provide the bandwidth necessary for a pair of 720p/60 at 12 bits per channel. It's already close to the usb3 max speed. If it works, why spend the money to make something from scratch? Maybe even have a standard webcam chip for each eye, with dual audio channels for each, and the connector would be a 6 contact custom thing for a pair of usb signals.

#1117 MrFox, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2013
  18. patsu

Legend

If PSEye is subsidized, Sony may not want non-gamers to buy it for their general webcam needs. I believe they sell other webcams for $150. They may use elements from existing stacks but Sony has used proprietary ports on recent devices for whatever reasons.

19. Xenus

Veteran

Yeah I think they are probably going a little overboard there though USB flash is cheap enough I could see them using something like for storage on the controller. The profile on the controller thing is pretty awesome in itself as it basically would allow you to carry your profile with you to a friends house rather then hacving to bother anything about signing in.

20. arijoytunir

Regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.