News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analog buttons require ADC conversion, which is usually done by successive approximation and takes time.
On most microcontrollers you also only have a single actual ADC and it's multiplexed between the inputs which would further slow it down.
To be clear I have never looked at what's inside a dual shock or looked at the firmware, but my experience with microcontrollers is that digital inputs are orders of magnitude faster than analog ones.

Well, they could have the ADC there and a secondary path that goes around it and the signal is split in two and sent through both, so you get the fast digital imput, but the analogue one is still availiable if required.

Surely that won't affect the analogue triggers or sticks though. I imagined the whole input data was bundled up and sent as a controller state. Would the analogue buttons have an accumulated latency (10 extra AD conversions) even if not being pressed? I can see that reducing latency if so.

On that subject, ahs anyone heard what exactly the nature of the depressible touchpad is? Does the whole thing depress as a large button, or is the surface flexible and depressible? :???:

The controllers are locked up in the display box. I think no one outside has touched it yet.

Analog buttons require ADC conversion, which is usually done by successive approximation and takes time.
On most microcontrollers you also only have a single actual ADC and it's multiplexed between the inputs which would further slow it down.
To be clear I have never looked at what's inside a dual shock or looked at the firmware, but my experience with microcontrollers is that digital inputs are orders of magnitude faster than analog ones.

anybody know if 360 controller buttons are analog or digital?

On that subject, ahs anyone heard what exactly the nature of the depressible touchpad is? Does the whole thing depress as a large button, or is the surface flexible and depressible? :???:

If I am not mistaken they said it's like the PS Vita rear touchpad.
Sony official specs describe it as: 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would imagine the touchpad is hinged at the top and clicks at the lower edge as a whole unit, kind of like the touchpad of a laptop. That's just speculation though, of course...

I checked and Sony just says that the PS Vita rear pad is: "Multi touch pad (capacitive type)".
Pretty vague description I fear.

No the rear touchpad does not have a click mechanism. It's 5 point multi-touch though instead of 2.

And from the looks of it, I'm pretty sure the whole thing can just be pressed. I think that allows it to work more naturally like a mouse?

Yeah, a photo on the DF article makes the touchpad look like a solid button which can all be pressed. i suppose that's to work like a mouse button. Move finger to control cursor, press to select.

Yeah, a photo on the DF article makes the touchpad look like a solid button which can all be pressed. i suppose that's to work like a mouse button. Move finger to control cursor, press to select.

Now that you and arwin have pointed it out it does seem to make a good substitute for a mouse button, not while gaming but for web browsing, PSN shopping and general UI navigation.

AR will always be gimmicky until we have holographic see through AR glasses, maybe in a couple of decades.

PS. well it has it's uses in showing concepts of unrealized designs against a real world background for architecture etc ... but in games it's gimmicky.

Still largely gimmicky and somewhat awkward IMHO. Should be shooting for augmented capability, not augmented reality.

I really like the idea that an AI player follows you around though ;)

Still largely gimmicky and somewhat awkward IMHO.
Not to mention amazingly expensive... Also, useability with eyeglasses debatable methinks.

Should be shooting for augmented capability, not augmented reality.
To be fair, you gotta start somewhere. Augmented reality seems a decent enough first attempt.

@shifty geezer

I concede my defeat. It looks like they have chosen to go with digital face buttons, so you win our friendly bet :)

I guess GT6 is going to move the default accelerator to the right stick? A few PS2 games will not be compatible without adjustments, very interesting the change is nonetheless. A port of MGS HD would have to use the Vita control style I would bet.

Does the Vita have a Click Mechanism?

No it does not. I assume they would move that function to the back touchpad though. The front can emulate the front pad of the DS4.

Vita also doesn't have click able thumb sticks.

But it also has a controls manager for PS1 emulation where you can assign these functions around its pretty cool. I play FF7 with analog control when exploring now :)

Now that you and arwin have pointed it out it does seem to make a good substitute for a mouse button, not while gaming but for web browsing, PSN shopping and general UI navigation.
Very good point! I did not even think of that. Excellent mouse substitute for simple browsing tasks.

The resolution also seems high enough to have game application in even conventional games. Maybe aiming in FPS or gesture based commands and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back