News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, if Saints Row 4 continues down the path set by SR3, then yeah, won't be all that much like GTA V. Well, perhaps a GTA V in Bizarro world liberally laced with some LSD. :D SR3 was bonkers. I expect SR4 to be even more bonkers.

Regards,
SB
There is always a chance I will play a SR game, but I have never played one until now. I also thought it was like GTA.

I've heard a lot of people say that SR is not like the GTA thing. Personally, it doesn't really bother me, because I never played a GTA game nor a SR one. I am kind of curious about both.

On a different note, PS4 is going to step back into prehistoric times with Primal Carnage. The announcement is more interesting to me than some exclusives. It is meant to be a single player game instead of just a multiplayer game.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/2..._campaign=Feed:+ign/pc-videos+(IGN+PC+Videos)

There is always a chance I will play a SR game, but I have never played one until now. I also thought it was like GTA.

I've heard a lot of people say that SR is not like the GTA thing. Personally, it doesn't really bother me, because I never played a GTA game nor a SR one. I am kind of curious about both.

On a different note, PS4 is going to step back into prehistoric times with Primal Carnage. The announcement is more interesting to me than some exclusives. It is meant to be a single player game instead of just a multiplayer game.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/2..._campaign=Feed:+ign/pc-videos+(IGN+PC+Videos)

The first Saints Row was very much a GTA clone. The second one started go to a little wacko (missions to spray feces over things?) and then third one just kept going down the bonkers road even more (missions to whack people with a giant dildo? I can't remember if those weapons were in SR2 as well). IIRC, you could also play as a toilet. Yes, running around doing missions with a toilet as your on screen avatar. Although they got rid of something the clothing customizations and sex customizations (male and female only in the 3rd one, couldn't be a hermaphrodite like you could in the second one). So I remember some people crying about not being able to dress their guy up in a suit wearing fishnet stockings and a garter belt under their trousers.

Saints Row really doesn't take itself very seriously. :D

Regards,
SB

Good list of upcoming indie games for Vita and PS3:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/03/25/gdc-wrap-up-indie-developers-choose-ps4-ps3-ps-vita/

* Blacklight: Retribution – PS4
* Primal Carnage: Genesis – PS4
* Rain – PS3
* Divekick – PS3 and PS Vita
* Spelunky – PS3 and PS Vita
* Velocity Ultra – PS Vita
* Limbo – PS Vita
* Metrico – PS Vita
* Sportsfriends (including Johann Sebastian Joust, BaraBariBall, Hokra and Super Pole Riders) – PS3
* Ibb & Obb – PS3
* Guacamelee! – PS3 and PS Vita
* Hotline Miami – PS3 and PS Vita
* Dragon Fantasy Book II – PS3 and PS Vita
* Thomas Was Alone – PS3 and PS Vita
* Luftrausers – PS3 and PS Vita
* Friend Network App – PS Vita
*Zombie Tycoon II – PS3 and PS Vita
* A Virus Named Tom – PlayStation Mobile
* Beatdown in Treachery City – PlayStation Mobile
* Crumble – PlayStation Mobile
* Crystallon – PlayStation Mobile
* Don’t Wake the Bear – PlayStation Mobile
* Hermit Crab in Space! – PlayStation Mobile
* Oh, Deer! – PlayStation Mobile
* Rymndkapsel – PlayStation Mobile
* Ten By Eight – PlayStation Mobile

Still playing mine almost daily, have a backlog for Persona 4 (barely started), NFS, etc. ... but yeah, always good to see new stuff coming! This is just the Indie stuff though, I'm pretty sure we'll see a bunch more regular and Sony stuff too ... .

Did they improve the PSP library ? It's a great asset when I was waiting for the new games. The long portable games like Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Persona PSP were a god send.

Saw these re-posted tweets on GAF from Greg Miller. Apparently the controller buttons are in fact digital (reportedly they dropped analog buttons because "nobody" used them. A few other interesting tidbits as well, but quite a bit of info we already knew.

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 7m
Talking about the @PlayStation App. Login, buy game, #PS4 starts downloading at home, you get home and start playing the part that's DWLD.

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 10m
#PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it/not on devs. Start at any time; no special mode.

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 12m
All the #PS4 streaming and sharing: that's on the hardware. Devs don't have to do anything special to their game. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 15m
#PS4 Mock-up: Heavy Rain choice with the number of your friends that chose each option. #gdc

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 16m
#PS4 RAISES THE PSN FRIEND LIMIT. #GDC

Have to enable people seeing your real name on the #PS4. Auto-enabled if you import from another social network. (Can be turned off)

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 18m
#PS4 UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game. See what new DLC is out and whatnot. What friends are saying. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 19m
2004: XMB, 2011: LiveArea, 2013: New #PS4 one based on the five principles from earlier.

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 20m
#PS4 - Zoom into the controller, tilt to shake little dudes inside, push into our world like EyePet. HOLY SHIT - Pushed out a rubber duck!

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 22m
AR Menu via the touch pad. Playing AR Pong. Twist controller, twist the field of play. #PS4 #GDS

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 23m
They're going to show a #PS4 video combining the camera and the controller. "AR Menu" #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 24m
Keep in mind for those reading along with my #PS4 #GDC Tweets: these are things devs COULD do. Not mandatory.

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 4m
Possible #PS4 Camera Magic – Sees the controller, you guys move, splitscreen moves to be on the right side. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 5m
#PS4 Cam suggested uses: walkthrough vids, taunting in killcam, login, speech recognition, etc. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 8m
Dedicated port for the #PS4 camera, exclusive SCE Connector. Means it won't use a USB port on the console, but won't plug into your PC. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 9m
“The #PS4 Eye will enhance the PS4 user experience.” High sensitivity dual color cameras – 1280x800, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 11m
#PS4 controller light bar can be used for muzzle flashes, health bars, etc. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 11m
#PS4 will charge controllers when it's off. Unlike the PS3. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 12m
#PS4 Controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the buttons) #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 13m
#PS4 Controller: 1920x900 resolution on the analog touchpad. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 14m
#PS4 Controller L2/R2 - Curved design to get rid of the accidental @netflix fast forwarding. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 15m
#PS4 Controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3. #GDC

Speaker, headset hack and “extension port” on the #PS4 controller. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 17m
#PS4 Controller: Start/Select buttons are now “Options.” New System button is “Share.” #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 21m
“Debug your PS4 code as you would your PC code” #PS4 #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 23m
#PS4 Dev Environment – Windows 7-bit, tools are fully integrated into Visual Studio 2010 and 2012. #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 25m
#PS4 will have a “very large hard drive in every console.” #GDC

Greg Miller ‏@GameOverGreggy 26m
#PS4 RAM – 8GB 256 bit GDDR5 (GDDR5 is very high end graphics memory only found on PC graphics cards) #GDC

Last edited by a moderator:
Which isn't to say that it isn't using USB. :) The Kinect data port on X360 S isn't a USB port either. But it's still USB.

Regards,
SB

Yeah 360 has no choice because Kinect happened later.

PS4 is designed from the ground up. They will have more choices. Wonder what port and protocol stack they chose. Probably proprietary protocol to discourage hacking (if they went as far as including a proprietary port) ?

Yeah 360 has no choice because Kinect happened later.

PS4 is designed from the ground up. They will have more choice. Wonder what port and protocol stack they chose. Probably proprietary protocol to discourage hacking (if they went as far as including a proprietary port) ?

The simplest and most cost effective solution is that it's just a USB port modified to deliver more power to the peripheral.

Anything more than that and you start racking up millions of dollars in additional BOM over the lifetime of the device.

Then again I wouldn't put anything past Sony when it comes to wasting money. :)

Regards,
SB

The simplest and most cost effective solution is that it's just a USB port modified to deliver more power to the peripheral.

Anything more than that and you start racking up millions of dollars in additional BOM over the lifetime of the device.

Then again I wouldn't put anything past Sony when it comes to wasting money. :)

Regards,
SB

*shrug*

The Move controller has a proprietary EXT port right above the micro USB port.

The Vita has a mysterious accessory port.

The simplest and most cost effective solution is that it's just a USB port modified to deliver more power to the peripheral. Anything more than that and you start racking up millions of dollars in additional BOM over the lifetime of the device.
USB 3.0 isn't cheap ... and at 2 Gb/s raw datarate, USB 2.0 hardly cuts it (even with MJPEG). If you would want to get the raw data across it's not clear to me at all that USB would be a good option.

Some additional info from the PS4 GDC conference over at Destructoid. A lot of recap, but some interesting tidbits as well. Apparently, the PS4 Eye has a 3-axis accelerometer/ tilt sensor. :?:

Hardware Overview (nothing new)

UI and Friend System

UI Name (Connected UX)

Camera and Controller

Connected UX ? D^8

Remote Play lets you connect your PS Vita to your PS4 via a local network or internet -- the screens are mirrored this time, unlike the PS3 and PSP. No system resources need to be allocated to Remote Play -- it's all built in. Remote Play can be started at any time, and Sony stated that they used code from Gaikai to make this feature work.

Cool, will try WAN RemotePlay again to see how much they have improved.

• Targeted to be the “central device in the living room”
  • “Core gamers are our primary audience
  • PS4 build around them, salable to the outsiders
  • 5 core PS4 principles: Simple, Immediate, Social, Integrated, Personalized
  • PS4 CPU: 64-bit x86 arch, low power consumption, low heat, 8 cores, 8 HW threads, 2MiB L2 cache per 4 core group, 32kib l1 I/D-cache
  • PlayStation Shader Language, very similar to HLSL, allows featured BEYOND Direct X 11 and OpenGL 4.0
  • “GPU – Tessellation – adding geometric detail to smooth edges or create more organic shapes”
  • PS4 RAM – 8GB 256 bit GDDR5 (GDDR5 is very high end graphics memory only found on PC graphics cards)
  • Will come with “very large hard drive in every console”
  • PS4 Dev Environment – Windows 7 64-bit, tools are fully integrated into Visual Studio 2010 and 2012
  • “Debug your PS4 code as you would your PC code”
  • PS4 Controller: Start/Select buttons are now “Options.” New System button is “Share.”
  • Speaker, headset jack and “extension port” on the PS4 controller
  • PS4 controller buttons are going back to digital over analog because no one used it on PS3
  • PS4 controller L2/R2 – Curved design to get rid of the accidental netflix fast forwarding
  • PS4 controller: 1920×900 resolution on the analog touchpad
  • PS4 controller colors are the Player Numbers: 1-Blue, 2-Red, 3-Green, 4-Pink (Like the buttons)
  • PS4 will charge controllers when it’s off. Unlike the PS3.
  • PS4 controller light bar can be used for muzzle flashes, health bars, etc
  • “The #PS4 Eye will enhance the PS4 user experience.” High sensitivity dual color cameras
  • 1280×800, 12 bits/pixel, 60Hz
  • Dedicated port for the #PS4 camera, exclusive SCE Connector. Means it won’t use a USB port on the console, but won’t plug into your PC.
  • Cam suggested uses: walkthrough vids, taunting in killcam, login, speech recognition, etc; possible PS4 Camera Magic – Sees the controller, you guys move, splitscreen moves to be on the right side
  • The above is what devs could do (not mandatory)
  • Video example shown of PS4 combining the camera and the controller. “AR Menu”
  • Zoom into the controller, tilt to shake little dudes inside, push into our world like EyePet
  • 2004: XMB, 2011: LiveArea, 2013: New #PS4 one based on the five principles from earlier
  • UI is meant to give you at a glance info without loading the game. See what new DLC is out and whatnot. What friends are saying.
  • Have to enable people seeing your real name on the #PS4. Auto-enabled if you import from another social network. (Can be turned off)
  • PSN friend limit raised
  • PS4 Mock-up: Heavy Rain choice with the number of your friends that chose each option.
  • All the PS4 streaming and sharing: that’s on the hardware. Devs don’t have to do anything special to their game.
  • PS4 Remote Play: Screens are mirrored on PS4/Vita (Both on at same time). Hardware does it/not on devs. Start at any time; no special mode.
  • Talking about the PlayStation App. Login, buy game, PS4 starts downloading at home, you get home and start playing the part that’s DWLD.

Stolen from Neogaf I know this has already been posted in a different form, but i think this gives a clearer image of what has been shown at the conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back