News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a $600 launch price it is no wonder

That was exactly my point if you would have quoted the rest of it...

I fully expect PS4 to do better than PS3 at launch as long as there's no incredibly high pricing. But the sales are unlikely to match that sort of hype.

Regards,
SB

Similarly how the xb360 was perceived as a alot cheaper although launch models "required" you to purchase buy a wifi dongle ($70) + rechargeable batteries ($30) etc. similarly the core didn't sell well as the core seemed vastly inferior

Ummm, no one was forced to buy any of those things. I have not and never will connect my X360 to Wireless just because the gaming experience would suffer (lots of wireless devices competing for those frequencies in my area).

And the cheaper X360 at launch used a wired controller. No batteries needed. For the more expensive one at launch I know many people that just used their existing rechargeable batteries, so again no additional cost. And even if you didn't have those, you still had the option to use the wireless X360 controller as a wired controller (no battery needed).

PS3 forced you to pay for those things. You had no option to not pay for them. X360 up until X360 S gave you the option to save some money buy not buying things that you didn't need.

On the other hand, for remote control the X360 used a standard IR receiver allowing the use of any off the shelf universal remote control which also conveniently controls all of your other home entertainment electronics. PS3? You had to buy a special remote just for it.

For me that convenience of the remote control trumps being forced to pay for things I'd never use. For others (like you) the wireless obviously trumped the ability to save money as well as the convenience of using any existing universal remote control. So I never had to dick around with controlling DVD playback with a console controller.

Regards,
SB

Those more recent discussion points do seem somewhat construed and illusory to me.

I really don't think a lot of people actually chose an Xbox360 over a PS3 because of the former one's more modular approach to peripheral upgrades.

Likewise, I really don't think a lot of people chose a PS3 over an Xbox360 because of the former one's more "complete" set of in-box features.

It's not like there weren't way more poignant differences to drive customers' buying decisions in that respect (e.g. different approaches to handling the online experience, different exclusive games, strong peer-group effects - i.e. the fact that people will preferably buy the system their friends already use -, etc.).

Built-in Blu-ray probably sold some PS3s. :)

It's the only reason I bought one. I didn't play the Uncharted series until 2011.

I should say that the high price of the PS3 initially scared me off, and even with a modest income, a $499 console would make me pause. I also just bought a Wii U which was mostly a dud, so Sony needs to wow me at E3 or I'll be holding off a year.

Built-in Blu-ray probably sold some PS3s. :)
Eventually, yes - but the initial battle with Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive was actually way closer than most people seem to remember ;)

Personally, I always liked Sony's "all-in-one" appraoch better - not because Microsoft didn't offer comparable solutions via modular upgrades (which they did), but because I didn't like the idea of having too many cables, drives and dongles attached to my living-room console.

I would still have bought an XBox360 if it had offered the exclusive games I was more interested in, though :)

Turning back to the topic of next-gen consoles: I don't think that stock hardware "features" will make a major difference this time around. The new consoles will probably be nearly identical in that respect. What COULD make a difference (in hardware terms) is SKU differentiation - especially if Microsoft's approach actually turns out to consist of scalable core hardware. Personally, I REALLY don't like the idea of more frequent hardware refreshes - but it could propel long-term sales for Microsoft in a very significant way.

Eventually, yes - but the initial battle with Microsoft's external HD-DVD drive was actually way closer than most people seem to remember ;)

Personally, I always liked Sony's "all-in-one" appraoch better - not because Microsoft didn't offer comparable solutions via modular upgrades (which they did), but because I didn't like the idea of having too many cables, drives and dongles attached to my living-room console.

I would still have bought an XBox360 if it had offered the exclusive games I was more interested in, though :)

Turning back to the topic of next-gen consoles: -I don't think that stock hardware "features" will make a major difference this time around. The new consoles will probably be nearly identical in that respect. What COULD make a difference (in hardware terms) is SKU differentiation - especially if Microsoft's approach actually turns out to consist of scalable core hardware. Personally, I REALLY don't like the idea of more frequent hardware refreshes - but it could propel long-term sales for Microsoft in a very significant way.

It's already happening this gen. Blu-ray is not a hardware feature. It's exclusive HD content from all the movie studios.

It's not about Cell but the amazing effort put in by the first parties and third parties that made a visible difference.

It's not about built-in WiFi. It's free PSN vs a more advanced XBL.

Compare this to a typical Uncharted or God of War level and you'll see what I mean. But I may be exaggerated about it before, it serves its course here.

I thought it looks good enough. If they want to wow the audience, I think they may need to add some drama to the experience. Better art will help. However, it should be possible to create a better presentation based on what they already have. It's not bad.

On a different note, Blossom Minds' Walter could make a splash on the PlayStation 4. This game seems to be the new Cool Spot.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/03/blossom_minds_walter_could_be_making_a_splash_on_ps4

large.jpg

Besides that, Bournemouth University students are working on a PS4 game. Good news that the new generations of developers might have a chance to publish a game on next gen consoles.

http://www.edge-online.com/get-into-games/bournemouth-university-students-aim-to-release-ps4-game/

Reminds me of the Blob game, which is great. It looks physics driven. Hopefully the control is crisp (different from LBP)

Some other interesting news: Randy Pitchford, Gearbox CEO is very excited about the PS4 -and *other* consoles he can't talk about-:

http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2013/story.html?sid=6405836

Take this with a grain of salt though, he is from the same company that was so excited about Aliens: Colonial Marines. :???:

Aside from that, Infamous: Second Son is going to be a launch title on the PS4, according to a resume.

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/infamous-second-son-a-ps4-launch-title-says-resume

Some other interesting news: Randy Pitchford, Gearbox CEO is very excited about the PS4 -and *other* consoles he can't talk about-:

http://www.gamespot.com/events/pax-east-2013/story.html?sid=6405836

Take this with a grain of salt though, he is from the same company that was so excited about Aliens: Colonial Marines. :???:

Aside from that, Infamous: Second Son is going to be a launch title on the PS4, according to a resume.

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/infamous-second-son-a-ps4-launch-title-says-resume

The only thing they could be working on is a new borderlands, because after learning about their mismanagement of aliens i cannot imagine that anyone wants to work with them.

Also Sega is going to try and sue the shit out of them, that seems like something that will scare away any remaining potential investors for their next gen games.

The only thing they could be working on is a new borderlands, because after learning about their mismanagement of aliens i cannot imagine that anyone wants to work with them.

Also Sega is going to try and sue the shit out of them, that seems like something that will scare away any remaining potential investors for their next gen games.

If some of the rumours are Sega doesn't have a leg to stand on. If their contract only required Gearbox make a game, regardless of it's quality, then Gearbox has done just that.

But yes, I don't see Gearbox making anything other then Borderlands in the near future.

Saints Row 4 developers are very excited about video sharing on the PS4.

The game is meant to be launched at a close release date compared to GTA V, and I wonder if this is going to affect sales, but they say SR4 is a very different game.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1863199/ps4_saints_row_4_devs_excited_about_video_sharing.html

Heh, if Saints Row 4 continues down the path set by SR3, then yeah, won't be all that much like GTA V. Well, perhaps a GTA V in Bizarro world liberally laced with some LSD. :D SR3 was bonkers. I expect SR4 to be even more bonkers.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back