News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. One little question, now that I have my lovely 2TB HDD to replace When I get home.

In theory I will simply be able to plug in my other external HDD through USB, back up my PS4, replace, plug in the external HDD, restore backup and it's done? It will be like my old PS4 but with a lot more available space?

That simple? I don't believe that for a second. It's Sony.

Last edited:
So. One little question, now that i have my lovely 2TB HDD to replace When I get home.

In theory I will simply be able to plug in my other external HDD through USB, back up my PS4, replace, plug in the external HDD, restore backup and it's done? It will be like my old PS4 but with a lot more available space?

That simple? I don't believe that for a second. It's Sony.

No, it's not quite that simple. You'll have to re-install the firmware (the last firmware that was installed) from USB after you replace the drive. You'll spend about 15 minutes trying to find the link to the downloadable firmware file that you need, because it's not linked to on the main PlayStation Blog page like it is for the PS3, PSV and PSP. You'll eventually stumble upon it here, along with instructions for replacing the hard drive and for using the Backup/Restore feature. I may or may not be speaking from first hand experience.

Please note the following:
  • The link to the firmware instructions above is specifically for a fresh install. The file is larger than the one used for a regular "manual" firmware update. If you try to use the smaller file for a fresh install it won't work.
  • You need to follow the folder structure outlined in the above instructions or the PS4 won't see the firmware file.
  • I do not know if firmware is regional. The links above are presumably for NA.

Last edited:
My current theory is that it is to support hooking up Vita TV to a 3D tv

No, it's not quite that simple. You'll have to re-install the firmware (the last firmware that was installed) from USB after you replace the drive. You'll spend about 15 minutes trying to find the link to the downloadable firmware file that you need, because it's not linked to on the main PlayStation Blog page like it is for the PS3, PSV and PSP. You'll eventually stumble upon it here, along with instructions for replacing the hard drive and for using the Backup/Restore feature. I may or may not be speaking from first hand experience.

Please note the following:
  • The link to the firmware instructions above is specifically for a fresh install. The file is larger than the one used for a regular "manual" firmware update. If you try to use the smaller file for a fresh install it won't work.
  • You need to follow the folder structure outlined in the above instructions or the PS4 won't see the firmware file.
  • I do not know if firmware is regional. The links above are presumably for NA.
But I don't think i have a USB stick. Would I be able to save the firmware in the external hard drive and upload it from there?

But I don't think i have a USB stick. Would I be able to save the firmware in the external hard drive and upload it from there?

Yes. From the console's perspective USB storage is USB storage. So long as it is properly formatted (exFAT or FAT32) you'll be good to go. I haven't tried the Backup/Restore on the PS4 yet, but, if its anything like the PS3 you should be able to use the same drive you're backing up to for storing the system update. Just don't mess with the folder structure/file names of the backups and simply add the appropriate subfolder for the PS4 firmware.

Side note, I should really stop calling it firmware.

It's taken me two days to realise that you to check a box for game suspend to work properly. Yesterday I started GTA V and put the PS4 into rest mode. I restarted it today and upon resume it just took me back to the PS Home screen (taking as did pre-2.50) I assumed that GTA V had probably restarted because when I started it yesterday it was downloading the 1.09 patch but hadn't finished. Re-suspend with GTA V running. Restart back to the PS Home screen. So I go to setting and see you have to tick a box to enable this - it needs power, so I understand not setting it by default.

I really wish Sony would add a pop-screen after a new firmware update adds new options, asking things like 'Suspend mode can now preserve the game - do you want to enable this?'

Rest to GTA V is an impressive 14 seconds. I don't want to sound hyperbolic but this will genuinely change how, and how much, I game.

Thank you, Sony :yes:

I got some sort of message as soon as the update was done, where it took me straight to the settings and all I had to do was tick the box.

I got some sort of message as soon as the update was done, where it took me straight to the settings and all I had to do was tick the box.

I don't recall this but I'm a fairly impatient chap and refuse to read terms and conditions, licence agreements and important dialogue boxes on principle. The principle being life is more fun this way :nope:

@DSoup
how can you miss the pop up.... it was running for more than 5 minutes on top left screen and i need to go to options and "disable all notification" to force-stop the pop up*.

*the pop up contain hundreds of friend request, PS News/announcement, error notification, new feature news, etc all mixed like mad.

btw i wonder how DESTINY will incorportate suspend on ver 1.1.2...
for example, you were doing X, then suspend.. the game will resume and resync all stuff with server?

@DSoup
how can you miss the pop up.... it was running for more than 5 minutes on top left screen and i need to go to options and "disable all notification" to force-stop the pop up*.
Haha, I saw the banner thing but I didn't pay it much heed. I wasn't intending to game yesterday so only started the PS4 to run the firmware update, then I thought I'd start GTA V and leave it in suspend mode for the weekend.

:oops: But ok.. I'm glad Sony implemented that thing I wanted before I asked for it!!

lol im always like that with my android notification >_<

btw anybody has played vita remoteplay extensively with the new firmware? It seems sony fixed the random audio-lag but i only played for a few minutes.

lol im always like that with my android notification >_<

btw anybody has played vita remoteplay extensively with the new firmware? It seems sony fixed the random audio-lag but i only played for a few minutes.
I've played Dying Light and Driveclub (very badly!), and a little bit of The Order and it's been perfect so far. Much better in a very sublime way than it used to be.

sony mentioned update 2.5 improve the voice command but... why it work worse for me...

before 2.5 i can speak it with deliberate wrong pronoucetuation and it still works. Now i need to be try to sound as "american" as possible :/

EDIT:
maybe the optimize it more according to you PSN country? so US PSN is optimized for US-English?

Ars Technica have an article on the power usage of both consoles and the real cost per year in the US. PS4 draws 10w in default (everything enabled) rest mode which breaks down as:
  • "Supply Power to USB Ports": 6.3W
  • "Stay Connected to the Internet"/"Enable Turning On of PS4 from Network": 2.4W
  • "Keep Application Suspended": 1.2W
I have my USB ports disabled and use Sony's dock for charging the two DS4s which I've tested and which only draws power when controllers are docked and actually charging.

Doesn't the PS4 basically do the same thing? You can set the PS4 to supply power to USB ports for 3 hours.

I wonder if turning off "Enable Turning On of PS4 from Network" will reduce the power consumption in rest mode (ars groups it with "stay connection to the internet", which I actually use). Will have to test that out later. Don't think I'll ever use that, along with suspend/resume.

Last edited:
I also use a separate stand for charging. The resume function works really well and fast, often surprises me as I didn't even realize I used it. Or I use remote play and also still resumes. Really great update.

Edit: here's an interesting surprise - if I had Netflix open that resumes too, and then suddenly I can watch Netflix on Vita with remote play!

Last edited:
I am curious why resume times vary. Dying Light is 4 or 5 seconds, a third of GTA V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back