News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what it sounds like. You can't play live from HDD, so need to reinstall and potentially remove something else from your internal HDD, but you won't need to redownload again. It means you don't have complete access at all times to your whole library, unlike play from external device as per XB1, but do have access to old, backed-up games without a whole download again. Minimum reinstall time will be time to copy the game data from external to internal. Worst case, 50 ish GBs (game size) over USB3. Something like a few minutes.

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is intended only for migration when moving one internal HDD to another internal HDD. A more elegant solution would be allowing you to attach your new internal drive via a USB caddy and having the system copy everything across so that when you swap drives, you can start immediately.

But it's better than nothing. I have almost 200Gb of downloaded games. At 7Gb an hour that's more than a full day of downloading :runaway:

Try to download 200Gbytes of data with a 2Mbit/s bandwidth :smile2:

A back up utility is almost as good as external HDD if you have such Internet speed...

That's what it sounds like. You can't play live from HDD, so need to reinstall and potentially remove something else from your internal HDD, but you won't need to redownload again. It means you don't have complete access at all times to your whole library, unlike play from external device as per XB1, but do have access to old, backed-up games without a whole download again. Minimum reinstall time will be time to copy the game data from external to internal. Worst case, 50 ish GBs (game size) over USB3. Something like a few minutes.
Nice. So it will basically be like having a game in disc form and deleting the install on the PS4. So next time you stick the disc in again it will reinstall it.
With this, we can dump the digital copy on a separate HDD when not needed, and if we ever need to play the game again, we can plug the HDD in and reinstall the game.
Lovely. If it's like this.

According to this image, you get one checkbox to select all your Applications [games]. And you can move them all to external backup drive.
http://i.imgur.com/kbclz3a.jpg

I think the same was present on PS3. I don't think that console enabled backing up of individual game installations.

According to this image, you get one checkbox to select all your Applications [games]. And you can move them all to external backup drive.
http://i.imgur.com/kbclz3a.jpg

I think the same was present on PS3. I don't think that console enabled backing up of individual game installations.
Well that's crap! Doesn't bode at all well for the future of running content from external HDDs, if they can't even get individual backups.

Future of running content from external HDDs is non existent, same as with PS3. But, Sony allows easy upgrade of drives, so do that if you want. Their backup service is offered usually only for people who want to switch from one console to another, or to switch drives.

Even 3.5" drives are supported [6tb would be enough for many years of gaming], so far this is the best solution for adding them:

Even 3.5" drives are supported [6tb would be enough for many years of gaming], so far this is the best solution for adding them:
At considerable cost because you need the largest HDD to tide you over. External device support means you can grow storage as needed.

Why is it that no system is perfect? They all do stupid things that the competition gets right, but no-one incorporates all the good solutions into one item. Competition is basically a choice between several imperfect solutions to find the one least imperfect and annoying for your needs.

Well I guess my idea was a bit too far fetched. IT WASN'T, SONY!

Anyway. I guess this makes it easier to swap out the default HDD with a bigger one.

Boring!

I'm sitting on 7200rpm 1Tb HDD at present and I see a 2Tb 9.5mm 7200rpm drive will set me back around £85 now. By the time I lose manoeuvring room with my 1Tb - I tend to buy big games like The Last of Us (50Gb), Unity (50Gb), Battlefield 4 (35Gb) and Killzone (40Gb) on disc for quick deletes and quick re-installs - those 2Tb drives will be less than the cost of a game. 3Tb may even be cost effective.

With all the stuff I have on my HDD I still have 300Gb free and game install sizes really are beginning to crank up.

About time they made the backup/restore for HDD upgrading.

Sony are amazing for developing some really impressive stuff... and then they struggle with trivial things.

I have no need to install externally, but how about a download cache on external storage? A cache. How hard is this.

if the external storage act as "always connected stack of disc" i think it wont be totally bad. At most you will wait a minute or two for the game to be copied into internal HDD.

Good update IMO:

- Suspend & Resume
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps
- Automatic screenshot each time you earn a trophy (well, why not? it's a good idea)
- Buttons reassignment (I am definitely gonna replay Infamous SS with proper triggers assignment!)

Suspend & Resume is the only feature I'm that fussed about. This will make me very happy :yes:

I don't understand the button reassignment thing. EDIT: ok I think I do.

Also, any word on the backup? How it actually works?

Last edited:
Yeah, those extra 2-3 seconds it took to boot into my game are now gonna be put to much better use ;)...

... can actually take my time typing out my internet forum posts now, instead of rushing them.

Well, it is almost a minute of boot, and then ~30sec to get in the main menu, and then few seconds to load a game. Now we will only get one short boot, and then we are straight in the game.

Plus, now home users can put PS4 in standby and wake the same game session up when they are away using Remote Play. :)

It's not life changing, but it is a very nice convenience.

Yeah, those extra 2-3 seconds it took to boot into my game are now gonna be put to much better use ;)...

The convenience for me is not having to save - which in some games means having to find a location where you can save, or waiting for the game to progress where there is a save location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back