News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did you find the Plex app? I only see Xbox One and 360. I have a Plex pass but can't find any info on PS4. Thanks
I think Plex works through html5 videotag for Playstation 4 console. Browse and playback media files on PS4 web browser. Plex does transcoding just like in a dlna pipeline.

Reading this stuff about upnp and dlna servers/clients makes me remember the good old times I used to have to fiddle around to watch my media from my mediaserver on the PS3 / livingroom. Oh, the joys and frustrations of re-ripping / transcoding mkv files into mp4 to be able to watch them etc...

It took a while, hestitant at first... but then, finally.... I moved on.

Now I'm using a NUC (i5) in a passive metall case by Tranquil PC running OpenElec (XBMC/kodi) and have never looked back. Not once. No more transcoding, no more re-ripping, no more fiddling around with a game-controller to use it, and no more fan noise. It's completely silent. DLNA support? Tick. MP3 support? Tick. MKV support? Tick. Movie database scraper? Tick. TrueHD and DTS-HD support? Tick. Legacy infrared port for all those that wish to use a IR remote? Tick. AirPlay support? Tick. Integrated YouTube player? Tick. Videos at 1080p60 playable? Tick. NEF/RAW picture support? Tick. Kick-ass Android remote app (Yatse) available for your phone? Tick. Tick. Tick. It's all there.

Using a console as a media client/hub is all nice and all - but it's stone-age stuff really. Sony have seriously (once again) missed out on offering a complete media-hub experience in their console and even after a year of the PS4's release, there's still no DLNA support. Guys, it's time to move on. I'll assure you, you'll never look back. Ever.

One question about the above video; is there any limit to bitrate and what about sound? Is it limited to 2 channel sound?

Oh... duh. Browser. Sorry. I was thinking I was missing something.

Phil, yes, doing it that way all video streams require transcoding, no "direct play", and dd/dts will be down mixed to 2-channel aac. This is really not an option for my particular needs.

Oh... duh. Browser. Sorry. I was thinking I was missing something.

Phil, yes, doing it that way all video streams require transcoding, no "direct play", and dd/dts will be down mixed to 2-channel aac. This is really not an option for my particular needs.

I guess if you don't have a better solution the gimped browser access is better than nothing, but a better solution is one of those streaming sticks for like $40 or $50 so I don't see why people wouldn't do that instead (no free HDMI ports maybe?). The Fire TV and Roku sticks even come with remotes.

I guess if you don't have a better solution the gimped browser access is better than nothing, but a better solution is one of those streaming sticks for like $40 or $50..
I have multiple Android $50-$100 media sticks, XBMCAndroid runs fine on most of them. Usually Rockchip+Mali400GPU has been fine, Allwinner or who_knows_what chipsets varying results in a media compatibility. RaspPI has ready to run OpenELEC images, hdmi cec support, better (linux)ecosystem for 24h/7d apps. Gaming consoles are good hubs it's already in a living room, less computer magic involved to get up running.

I find it amazing that the 128k Spectrum came out 8 years before the original Playstation. The difference between those machines is staggering.

The past 8 years have been less staggering.

I agree, but only about the hardware and the graphics.

Because the games have being really great IMO with some really unforgettable gems released on all machines those last 10 years.

What's amazing is that a difference of a few KB/MB of memory and getting to a 33MHz processor (from memory that's what the ps1 had? If I'm right then I'm a freaking genius) would give a much larger visual return in those days than the relatively massive increases we get today. Diminishing returns are here to stay unless we somehow make a new technological breakthrough.

What's amazing is that a difference of a few KB/MB of memory and getting to a 33MHz processor (from memory that's what the ps1 had? If I'm right then I'm a freaking genius)
Original PS had ~3.5MB RAM total, in three different pools (main, video and audio RAM...and a 32-ish kB optical drive buffer as well) IIRC.

It's a gigantic step up to that level from an 8-bit, 3.5MHz main CPU with virtually no hardware assistance whatsoever and extremely primitive video hardware to a system with nearly ten times the clock speed, four times the bit width, something like 24 times the RAM and massive amounts of hardware acceleration for both sound and graphics.

Plus, development software was so much better in the PS1 era as well, whereas in the Spectrum days you generally wrote most, if not everything yourself in assembler. If you brought in a musician like Galway or Hubbard, they had their own player routine (also written in assembler, heh), but other than that... There were no residential libraries to speak of, and most, if not all of that you threw out first thing right off the bat as your game booted, to free up more RAM. A device like the C64 floppy drive had its own onboard CPU that ran a small kernel to provide disk I/O, but that doesn't really compare.
Of course, both PS1 and PS2 had virtually no firmware either, you didn't have to flash updates to them every couple weeks (sometimes days - shit, Sony, get your act together! lol), because you couldn't. ;)

So yeah, you're a genius. :)

If you play on HTpc instead of ps4, won't you miss the voice commands?

It's really handy on xbox but I don't know on PS. Never use it lol

Does Sony's own "not found" really say "It's the internet's fault"?

Yah, I've since read some reports saying it was ddos, but "It's the Internet's fault" is an usual page to throw on a not found error, but not impossible for some nerd making a joke. Considering sony pictures hack was so serious, I'm inclined to believe the PSN store may have been hacked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back