News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.gamezone.com/news/xbox-live-still-down-following-lizard-squad-ddos-985-jrdl
XBL hacked again. Get your shit together, MS. Things not looking so great for their online infrastructure. ;)

Same people, not a hack at all, but the Internet loves drama and half-truths.

If it was just ddos and not a hack. Not hard to understand why people get it wrong when stuff like this happens http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/sony-hack-said-to-leak-47000-social-security-numbers-celebrity-data/, and it's not as if PSN hasn't been hacked before.

What does that link have to do with the PSN?

You're asking about the one talking about XBL? It served as evidence that the previous news blurb of "PSN HACKED" was a misnomer as it was only a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack.

If you're talking about the other link, it serves to put context around "Sony being hacked" is all the rage in the news stories, so now whenever anything happens it's more likely to be associated with "hack" and not what it truly should be associated to.

I see, so guilt by association. If one business within the Sony corporate name gets hacked, then it must fine to use the word hack when it was in fact a DDOS attack.

I see, so guilt by association. If one business within the Sony corporate name gets hacked, then it must fine to use the word hack when it was in fact a DDOS attack.

Sadly that seems to be the case with the news reporting on technical matters. Given the wide-spread use of tech in every day life in this day and age everyone, even the common retired folks, should know the difference between DOS and HACK. It's very simple concept for the news to convey too -- "the system was down" versus "the system (along with your data) was compromised".

Yeah, lots of news site become a hack.

Btw can ddos attack titled as 'hacker attacks Sony, services goes offline'?

Sony should bring back Kevin Butler. I really miss that guy :D

Came across this randomly while looking for something else.

Reporters rarely are experts in the subject they are covering, add in a desire to sell papers or increase page clicks and you have the dystopian information age we live in....

Reporters rarely are experts in the subject they are covering, add in a desire to sell papers or increase page clicks and you have the dystopian information age we live in....

And it could have been worse.

CHAIRMAN OF SONY, KAZ HIRAI, SELLS YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION TO BUY COCAINE AND HOOKERS.

Oh yeah, it could be so much worse.

yeah, this guy named Christian knows his stuff, he seems to have a pretty good following too.

yeah, this guy named Christian knows his stuff, he seems to have a pretty good following too.
yeah just like fox, the word christian is right up there with the guardian as an unbiased source of news

@Scott Arm, you claim sony needs to get its shit together cause PSN went offline a couple of days ago due to a DDOS, today xboxlive gets taking out due to DDOS, thus I assume you think MS need to 'get their shit together'

@London Boy, DDOS aint a hack its just some ppl requesting data from a companies server in a huge rate, so if your server typicaly deals with 1,000 requests for a web page per second you normally budget enuf bandwith/servers to deal with that, if it suddenly gets 10 million requests a second, its overwhelmed and it has a nervous breakdown. Any company all the way up to the largest www.google can be taken down by such an attacks, its not a problem because your security is bad

@Scott Arm, you claim sony needs to get its shit together cause PSN went offline a couple of days ago due to a DDOS, today xboxlive gets taking out due to DDOS, thus I assume you think MS need to 'get their shit together'

The link I posted said they were hacked and I later said if they were ddos'd it's not a hack. I read an article, which happened to be wrong. I believed it because it was from a somewhat trustworthy source, and seemed plausible after the big Sony pictures hack (which was an actual hack that stole a ton of data) a couple of weeks ago.

So no, PSN does not have to get its shit together for being ddos'd. I thought that would have been clear. Well, Sony Pictures should probably get its shit together.

The link I posted said they were hacked and I later said if they were ddos'd it's not a hack. I read an article, which happened to be wrong. I believed it because it was from a somewhat trustworthy source, and seemed plausible after the big Sony pictures hack (which was an actual hack that stole a ton of data) a couple of weeks ago.

So no, PSN does not have to get its shit together for being ddos'd. I thought that would have been clear. Well, Sony Pictures should probably get its shit together.
I thought it was pretty clear what you were saying. Perhaps the media could get their collect crap together instead of pushing agendas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back