News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess not if you're willing to ignore that they are delivering the features to the market maybe 18 months later (we'll see how long it actually takes them to do a full roll-out in the US) and at this point seem like they will have (relatively) limited content.
You talk as if MS are offering the content themselves whereas MS simply allows other providers' content to pass through the HDMI in

I1EVX8R.png
GpRNHjm.png

I really like the LBP3 bundle, I just wish these bundles lasted more than a day. It would sell a ton more if they were holiday bundles and were around for at least a few weeks.

Wow. I know we discussed the whole USD/GBP thing a million times but that $399 is like £250, with 2 games! DAMN! We get bundles at £349, which is around $550! Still never fails to shock me.

Last edited:
US prices are typically excluding VAT (sales tax in murrica), while UK prices are with it...because...well, it looks cheaper if you don't list price with tax included! *shrug* Well you tell me! :LOL:

Seems doomed to me. People now want on demand content, not to have to adjust their schedule or wait to watch something. Also, since cable operators keep increasing their prices and lowering service levels of Internet access to offset lack of interest in cable TV, there will be little benefit for this type of service. For people who give a shit about cable TV, why pay more for spotty IP streaming (net neutrality we hardly knew ye) when you could pay the same or less and get old school regular cable with a PVR?

Cheers

This is the where things are heading, you can subscribe to Walking Dead season pass and avoid paying for cable same is about to happen for Game of Thrones, for many consumers who have specific interest ala carte options offer a much better value.

For instance I pay 10/m for Dishworld and 125/yr for Fox Soccer 2 Go, between these two I have all my sports coverage that is needed. Now that I can add the 2 shows I am interested in WD and GOT, no reason to look back. Its cheaper and more convenient, I can watch on my phone, TV, laptop, tablet anytime I want and virtually anywhere I want. The only reason I deal with the cable company is for internet and now that Google is rumored to be coming to my city I will gladly look for the day when I can call and cancel all ties.

I was paying >100/m for satellite service to have access to the sports channels I am interested in, even if I add Netflix into the mix I am far ahead. 1200/yr versus 245/yr again even if I added Netflix I'd still be saving a significant amount versus cable or satellite.

You talk as if MS are offering the content themselves whereas MS simply allows other providers' content to pass through the HDMI in

That's not really relevant as to whether HDMI-In was "needed" or not, which is what I was taking issue with. It was and is a means to an end until a better solution can be worked out. It enabled MS to have a working solution to integrating TV functionality into the XBOne at launch that had access to all of the same content available to a person with a cable or satellite subscription specifically *because* they were just integrating with the existing service instead of trying to replace it.

I prefer the IPTV model in general, and some of the features Vue is set to offer specifically are really well conceived and show a real vision as to how traditional TV services can evolve to incorporate some of what the streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) have introduced to the market without completely throwing out the old usage models. I can still turn on the TV and watch "what's on", but I can also watch last night's episode of that new show that everyone was talking about at work today that I didn't even know about or that game that seemed going in like it was going to be a blowout, but ended up being an overtime thriller. None of this matters, though, if important content is missing as without that content it really isn't a viable replacement for a cable sub.

That's not really relevant as to whether HDMI-In was "needed" or not, which is what I was taking issue with. It was and is a means to an end until a better solution can be worked out. It enabled MS to have a working solution to integrating TV functionality into the XBOne at launch that had access to all of the same content available to a person with a cable or satellite subscription specifically *because* they were just integrating with the existing service instead of trying to replace it.

I prefer the IPTV model in general, and some of the features Vue is set to offer specifically are really well conceived and show a real vision as to how traditional TV services can evolve to incorporate some of what the streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, etc) have introduced to the market without completely throwing out the old usage models. I can still turn on the TV and watch "what's on", but I can also watch last night's episode of that new show that everyone was talking about at work today that I didn't even know about or that game that seemed going in like it was going to be a blowout, but ended up being an overtime thriller. None of this matters, though, if important content is missing as without that content it really isn't a viable replacement for a cable sub.
Well MS did integrate it. But as you can see it didnt pay off and it is not appreciated as much by the mass market. That TV integration is not something most people really want. At least MS's proposal idea of TV integration. What they want is to get rid of as much as possible middle men and middle devices. The TV content in the living room is still owned by the cable/satellite TV devices. And they get in the way. People will appreciate TV integration when it is delivered directly through the console. So at this stage its as if both XB and PS4 are in the same situation

Well MS did integrate it. But as you can see it didnt pay off and it is not appreciated as much by the mass market. That TV integration is not something most people really want. At least MS's proposal idea of TV integration.

All that can really be said, is that any appeal that the TV integration in the XBOne has hasn't been enough to balance out all of the other deficiencies of the system and how it's been marketed. I don't think it's possible to view XBOne's sales up to this point as an indictment of their method of TV integration when there are so many other reasons, not least of which is the fact that it performs its core function worse than its direct competition, not to buy it.

What they want is to get rid of as much as possible middle men and middle devices. The TV content in the living room is still owned by the cable/satellite TV devices. And they get in the way. People will appreciate TV integration when it is delivered directly through the console. So at this stage its as if both XB and PS4 are in the same situation

We'll see.

All that can really be said, is that any appeal that the TV integration in the XBOne has hasn't been enough to balance out all of the other deficiencies of the system and how it's been marketed. I don't think it's possible to view XBOne's sales up to this point as an indictment of their method of TV integration when there are so many other reasons, not least of which is the fact that it performs its core function worse than its direct competition, not to buy it.

We'll see.

It can be said that it was a bold move that very few could see working. And the actual hardware is not really what i see as a problem. It´s the money,time and PR spent building everything to deliver to a very very limited market that is becoming less relevant as time goes by. And they have to keep it working for the next many years. I doubt that Sony really ever considered a HDMI, if anything they would be more likely to build a addon like they have done before. However, i am somewhat certain that Microsoft will outdo Sony´s VUE offering, they simply seem better at delivering DD TV/MOVIE content than Sony. Sony still isn't able to let me rent movies in Denmark. And they own the freaking studios :)

However, i am somewhat certain that Microsoft will outdo Sony´s VUE offering, they simply seem better at delivering DD TV/MOVIE content than Sony. Sony still isn't able to let me rent movies in Denmark. And they own the freaking studios :)

I do not really disagree, but I think Sony is bound by old distribution rights etc, which actually makes it easier for Microsoft to be innovative in the field.
But anecdotal note, NRK (Norwegian version of DR) has released on Playstation 3 & 4, but not on Xbox One, I think they are on 360. Also mentions that they like the XBox concept....

Norwegian article

http://www.digi.no/931281/derfor-kjorer-nrk-i-nettskyen

Vi ønsker selvfølgelig også å være på Microsoft-plattformene, og personlig så har jeg veldig tro på hele det nye konseptet til Microsoft. De har fått til noe som henger veldig bra sammen.

It can be said that it was a bold move that very few could see working. And the actual hardware is not really what i see as a problem. It´s the money,time and PR spent building everything to deliver to a very very limited market that is becoming less relevant as time goes by.

I'd be interested to see what percentage of XBOne owners actually use the TV integration. I'm sure MS knows and that will probably dictate how much they focus on developing those functions going forward.

And they have to keep it working for the next many years. I doubt that Sony really ever considered a HDMI, if anything they would be more likely to build a addon like they have done before. However, i am somewhat certain that Microsoft will outdo Sony´s VUE offering, they simply seem better at delivering DD TV/MOVIE content than Sony. Sony still isn't able to let me rent movies in Denmark. And they own the freaking studios :)

Well, the cable industry finally seem to be moving into the modern age by adopting the DLNA-based Vidipath certification for in-home distribution of protected content. Hopefully, both PS4 and XBOne support this standard as this pretty much solves the problem of integrating with those services, even allowing the cable service to project their HTML5-based UI to each receiver thus creating a unified experience across devices. Of course the cable companies have to actually implement all this, and based on prior performance that will probably take a while.

US prices are typically excluding VAT (sales tax in murrica), while UK prices are with it...because...well, it looks cheaper if you don't list price with tax included! *shrug* Well you tell me! :LOL:

In the US, sales tax are set locally (like by cities, towns and counties) and not all products are subject to sales tax. For school bound children, some states like Texas even have a tax free holiday every year.

Just noticed in the latest store update that there is a "security" app for sale (a mix of anti-phishing and nanny filtering) for the PS4 web browser. They pitch it like standard anti-virus though which is kind of sleazy.

Would never be allowed, because you'd just use it for piracy and rob those poor movie execs, stealing their oysters and quails right out of their starving mouths...

with Plex can you send a video stream from your PC to the XB1/PS4 and if so is it mirroring your screen or something else?

Plex is a DLNA streamer that can work with your local media files and also has some plugins/channels that allow for content from other sources like some popular websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back