News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by patsu, Jan 23, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

At last they give us Folders (ish):

2. Scott_Arm

Legend

USB Music Player and improved voice controls are great additions.

3. -tkf-

Legend

I think the idea is that if the Signal is HDCP encrypted/signed/whatever then the audio, picture etc, and only be transmitted via another HDCP accepted path. And optical is not one of them (my guess) since it´s not encrypted in any way.

SO, tldr, did you try disable HDCP and see how the games react? I know that movies etc wont work, just curious.

4. -tkf-

Legend

It's ok, but I would like more. Any the lack of custom soundtracks is going to hurt when I can't listen to daft punks tron soundtrack on the gt7 menus

5. Lucid_Dreamer

Veteran

Isn't it a lot early, to think that won't happen by GT7? :D

6. scf

scf
    Veteran Regular

There is custom soundtrack support.

7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

i wonder with the USB mp3... will it mute the whole game or clobbered together with game music or automatically mute game music (a-la x360)?

my PC is plugged with 2 different sets of speaker so it became 4channel speaker. Playing games with only 2 front speakers (stereo) sounds not as good as 4 speakers (ps4 stereo upmix to 4ch)

#5707 orangpelupa, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
  8. scf

scf
    Veteran Regular

I believe it mutes game music. You can actually try this right now with music unlimited. You can play MU tracks while gaming.

9. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

when's this out?

10. scf

scf
    Veteran Regular

no date :\

11. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

It won't matter because almost no TVs have a pure digital path between their HDMI input and the optical output for audio. It always gets down mixed to stereo before going to the speakers or audio out.

12. loekf

Regular

what are they thinking at Sony ? 2.0 is a moving target ? So when it is released in February 2015 it will also include:

- 3rd party remote control support ?
    - DLNA playback ?
    - Video player (AVI/MPG/TS/MP4)
    - Folders
    - Chromecast

13. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Sony is after 360 player, this the reason of Destiny heavy marketing. There is a rumor by Gameblog and one tweet of Sean Murray about one PS4 exclusive by a third party studio. I think it will be an Epic games with SCEA as publisher... I hope the rumored game will be show in the PlayStation event in December 2014 or at E3 2015 but this is my bet...

And probably not the game they talk about, just a wishful thinking...☺

#5713 chris1515, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
  14. chris1515

Veteran Regular

Vidéo player able to play Gamersyde video would be a must the PS4 have a very good browser...

15. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

Nothing about game suspension? That, and BT remote support is all I want right now. Different color backgrounds - okay, cool. Why not have the color change automatically by season, like PS3 did? However, ultimately not important as long as game suspension isn't implemented...

They need to get this done like...NOW. It's been almost a year post-launch, and a year and a half sinc we were promised this feature. So where is it?! It's not rocket science, PC OSes have suspended to RAM for ages now, and PS4 is a fixed platform with known variables, so should be much simpler to implement.

16. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

Is that true though? Can you suspend a video game and resume instantly?? I wasn't aware of this, lol if true I'm just going to hammer my sleep button on my PC and walk away instead of quitting the game.

17. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It might not be rocket science, but it is non-trivial, at least going by reports of problems with graphics cards when waking from sleep mode.

It might be, but I've kept at the back of my mind reports of AMD's somewhat spotty history when it comes to managing its GDDR5 in low power modes, and I'm starting to wonder.
    On the other hand, Sony's not as good as Microsoft at engineering the necessary software and firmware infrastructure, and Microsoft had a delay for its suspend function as well.

18. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

For those who missed it, PS4 users can bookmark Plex webapp in their browser and access DLNA features that way [force AAC audio in Plex server for best compatibility with PS4].
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4tIsuGYZmI

19. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

yes you can but not on all pc games. When i was mainly gaming on laptop a few years ago, games that eat lots of system ram is the most broken one (laptop wont come back from sleep, just blank screen).

on my PC, the standby is always broken although no game running, so, dunno how well it is on PC.

20. deathindustrial

Regular

I don't know if it is different with Plex but for Twitch I have found that the watching HTML5 video for any significant amount of time usually leads to "out of memory" errors in the browser and then a sluggish OS after that. Also, keep in mind that the PS4 browser has permanent caching of URL history (deleting history is only cosmetic, it still shows up under recently visited forever) so if there is any private info in the Plex URL (no idea, just mentioning) it will be cached forever as far as I can tell.

I fully expect to seem some nasty persistent XSS and similar exploits appear for the PS4 browser soon unless Sony corrects their braindead history handling.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.