News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get surround sound when I play Blu Rays.

Madden plays stadium crowd noise in the rears. Nothing really interesting but there is output.

Btw peeps, is there seriously no way to make PS4 output dolby digital through HDMI? Fucking piece of shit, I was wondering why I couldn't hear any surround sound, so THAT'S why.
Huh? Games usually output PCM because they're either already decoded streams, or they're uncompressed audio. Depending on your setup, it will output 2ch or surround. For Blu-Rays/DVDs, you can set the output to bitstream (which will output DD/TrueHD or DTS/DTS-HD as is for your receiver to decode) or PCM (already decoded audio). In other words, everything works as it should and the PS4 behaves exactly the same as the PS3 does in the audio department.

Last edited by a moderator:
at least you have proper surround sound. i only able to output PS4 2ch to PC, then upmix to 4ch.

i need cheap-ass optical audio IN, or HDMI audio IN for my pc....

Btw peeps, is there seriously no way to make PS4 output dolby digital through HDMI? Fucking piece of shit, I was wondering why I couldn't hear any surround sound, so THAT'S why.

There is, but you have to tell us, what's your problem. And is it in games or movies.

Afaik there is no practical limit on what your ps4 can deliver in the sound department.

note I dont have a ps4 so this is just a hit from google but it doesnt look that difficult
Yeah, it isn't, if you're using optical out yes. HDMI, though, is a different matter, as the option just isn't there.

There is, but you have to tell us, what's your problem.
Well the problem is it won't output DD via HDMI, and the TV connected to the other end of the HDMI cable can't transcode bitstream into DD, so my surround system (Sonos, 5.1) hooked up via toslink from the TV, can't provide surround sound...

And is it in games or movies.
Well, both, really...!

Afaik there is no practical limit on what your ps4 can deliver in the sound department.
Don't I wish! :(

Yeah, it isn't, if you're using optical out yes. HDMI, though, is a different matter, as the option just isn't there.

Well the problem is it won't output DD via HDMI, and the TV connected to the other end of the HDMI cable can't transcode bitstream into DD, so my surround system (Sonos, 5.1) hooked up via toslink from the TV, can't provide surround sound...

Well, both, really...!

Don't I wish! :(

I can select 3 things as output via HDMI, PCM, Bitstream (Dolby) and Bitstream (DTS)

You might have to disable HDCP? Which will only work with games of course.

Maybe the DD that your TV can handle is more advanced than what Sonos can handle, and the PS4 will use that?

There is Optical from the PS4, does that work with the Sonos?

Well the problem is it won't output DD via HDMI, and the TV connected to the other end of the HDMI cable can't transcode bitstream into DD, so my surround system (Sonos, 5.1) hooked up via toslink from the TV, can't provide surround sound...(

The problem isn't the PS4, it's the TV. Very few TVs are able to pass through a bitstream to their optical outputs. They downmix the DD or PCM from HDMI and output stereo over optical. Typically you can only get DD from a TV's optical port from the built in HDTV tuner or streaming apps. Your best bet it to connect your PS4 directly to the receiver via optical.

Your best bet it to connect your PS4 directly to the receiver via optical.
Well that's no good, cuz then I get no sound from the TV tuner or my other games consoles. :p I thank you for your input anyway, it may be I was fooled by the TV actually listing DD as an output setting (although keeping it greyed out most of the time).

I've done some additional testing, and unfortunately it would seem you are right - my PS3 playing a DVD also won't give DD surround, but watching TV through the built-in tuner does enable DD option. Very disappointing.

Next time I will have to look carefully for a TV with the proper passthrough option...in like another half a decade or so. :p

Well that's no good, cuz then I get no sound from the TV tuner or my other games consoles. :p I thank you for your input anyway, it may be I was fooled by the TV actually listing DD as an output setting (although keeping it greyed out most of the time).

I've done some additional testing, and unfortunately it would seem you are right - my PS3 playing a DVD also won't give DD surround, but watching TV through the built-in tuner does enable DD option. Very disappointing.

Next time I will have to look carefully for a TV with the proper passthrough option...in like another half a decade or so. :p

Fucking piece of shit

Would most likely be the HDCP requirment, your DD signal is not supposed to leave your TV in any unencrypted format.

Something like this might work for you?
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

do you guys have any suggestion for Optical IN for PC? but thats works with PS4\s optical out?

EDIT:
scratch that, reading
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...367-inconvenient-truth-about-spdif-input.html
no soundcard support accepting digital 5ch from optical to be outputed to 5ch analogue.

i guess im still stuck playing consoles in pseudo 4ch. (output 2ch analog stereo from TV to PC, then PC upmix it to 4ch surround).

Last edited by a moderator:
do you guys have any suggestion for Optical IN for PC? but thats works with PS4\s optical out?

EDIT:
scratch that, reading
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-ho...367-inconvenient-truth-about-spdif-input.html
no soundcard support accepting digital 5ch from optical to be outputed to 5ch analogue.

i guess im still stuck playing consoles in pseudo 4ch. (output 2ch analog stereo from TV to PC, then PC upmix it to 4ch surround).

What about buying a home cinema amplifier ? (or soundbar as those come with the amp integrated I believe)

Next time you write stuff like "Fucking piece of shit", maybe you should do some more research first...
Right, I should of course know it's my TV's fault when I can see the DD option right in the TV's on-screen menu, and have been previously able to select it.

Would most likely be the HDCP requirment, your DD signal is not supposed to leave your TV in any unencrypted format.
Well that doesn't exactly make sense, since DD has been trusted to leave through optical and coax ports unencrypted since ever...but since when did HDCP and all that shit make sense anyhow? :)

Something like this might work for you?
It would, except it necessitates fiddling. I'll just buy a TV that outputs DD properly next time I'm shopping for one, but thanks for the suggestion!

yay! more datails about 2.0 update
USB Music Player: PS4 owners can play their own music in the background while playing a game using USB Music Player*. After inserting a USB stick loaded with music into the PS4, a new option for USB Music Player will appear. Supported filename extensions include MP3, MP4, M4A, and 3GP.

Change colors: In addition to the ability to add a theme, PS4 owners can also change the background of the home screen from light blue to one of seven new colors: gold, blue, red, green, purple, pink, and gray.

Players You May Know: PS4 will now suggest players you may know in the ‘What’s New’ section, recommending gamers your friends frequently play with.

Enhancements to Live Broadcasting: Masamune brings a variety of improvements to live broadcasting on PS4. In the Live From PlayStation app, PS4 owners can now select a Featured channel, which includes official broadcasts from PlayStation, broadcasts from people on a players friend list, and any game channel that the player has followed. Additionally, Live From PlayStation now has filters for searching broadcasts on a specific game, as well as support for archived broadcasts.

Content Area and Library: PS4’s Content Area, which shows the latest games and apps a PS4 owner has used, has been redesigned to help make it easier to quickly find and access content. It now shows 15 of a player’s most used apps or games, and additional items will be added to a player’s Library. The Library on PS4 has improved filter and sort functions to help organize contented by type (game / app / TV & video), name (a – z or z – a), recently used, or install date.

Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”

Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the
PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.

Back Up Data: Data on PS4 can be backed up and resorted using USB storage. This will back up all data for the console, including settings, save data, screenshots, video clips, download data, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back