News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
on PS4 browser i often got memory error and make the whole OS freeze really bad (minutes!). But i also often got freezes in chat/text/messaging app in ps4.

the only thing that working fine in my PS4 is the games lol.

btw Sony will release Vita FW 3.35 to accompany PS4 2.00. This makes me no longer can stay in Vita 3.18 :( (sony only allow 1 version late to be online).

I heard the PS3 browser (for apps) supports HTML5 media element and Media Source Extension. Besides video tag, it can play Netflix and Youtube videos via MSE (and possibly EME for DRM). These are all W3C standards.

The PS4 browser probably adopts the same standards.

I personally haven't encountered any serious memory problems but I haven't used PS4 heavily for media playback. My main media boxes are still PS3 and Apple TV.

Edit: I was talking about the PS3 WebKit SDK for apps, not the end user web browser.

Enhanced Voice Commands: The ability to control PS4 using voice has been improved. Players can now say ‘PlayStation’ to begin commands, and ‘All Commands,’ to see a list of all voice command options available. New voice commands were added for live broadcasting, including “Start broadcast,” “End broadcast,” and “Find face.”

Some ok additions, but this seems surprisingly meager ... I'd have liked DVD and Bluray playback start more. But clearly the focus and priority is still on the sharing features.

Add To Library: The monthly free PlayStation Plus games will have an ‘Add to Library’ button in the
PlayStation Store. This button will add a game to a PS4 owner’s library without downloading it – saving space on their hard drive.

This is surprising - it's not that hard as it is, but I didn't expect they'd make an effort to make this part easier.

PSN was PlayStation Network Store. The change to SEN (Sony Entertainment Network) was, I think, because the store included movies, TV shows and music and being accessible from other devices (TVs, Xperia phones etc) it didn't make sense to tie the brand to PlayStation.

Unless they are keen on building the branding of the store, I don't know why they don't keep the transferrable content uniform and apply the platform brand locally.

But it's Sony, they don't get web/online services :nope:

I guess they see PlayStation as a stronger brand than Sony now? Otherwise it makes zero sense. I suppose for the original vision of PlayStation, the centre for all your entertainments, it fits, but PS really means games now. Sony Entertainment Network was clearly platform agnostic.

I guess they see PlayStation as a stronger brand than Sony now?
Ok, interesting the branding does appear to be platform dynamic. If I access the SEN store from a PC/Mac or PlayStation you get the PlayStation branding. From a Bravia TV it's the SEN branding - which makes sense as Sony have named the button SEN on the remote control. Even using the TV's web browser it's showing as the SEN store :runaway:

WITCHCRAFT! Or CSS stylesheets! One of those two things!

^^ useragent detection :D
but the website name is still store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com (geez, thats a long URL).

anybody in japan know what they abbreviate it to? Japanese people often short stuff that was too long.

Anyone knows if this is a new thing or just a one-off event?
The description makes it look like it's going to be yearly, and it's a perfect 6 month offset with E3.

Another video.

Essentially this is remote play, but just tweaked so that it works with PS4>PS4 with different account management approach. I think this is great addition to PS4, really unique feature that will enable users to easily share games and play coop with their friends who don't own those games [or even if they do, this will enable playing of couch coop via internet].

Looks very cool, I'd like to know whether it's the same resolution / framerate as the Vita remote play.

*wonders whether anyone would be interested in a shared play of Splunky*

so... can i expect that it will be as laggy as remote play?

useless for twitch shooters, awesome for any other games (tested on FPS, side scroller, fighting, TPS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back