News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaz Hirai said they won't roll out a Vita phone until they can make one without compromises. I take it to mean they are working hard on it.

On the iPhone side, it looks like Apple have made solid strides towards that no-compromise gaming phone direction.

I'd say it's a matter of time for Vita phone.

It's a tricky situation because Apple is very focused. They also pack in an industry leading camera every time a new phone is released, plus perhaps other goodies like fingerprint security, Home and Health stuff for iOS8.

Edit: I still think that the first console company that works seamlessly with iOS will win big. They tried to release PS apps on iOS, but it feels more like PS Orphan for iOS. Might as well not do it.

Look at Google and MS, release quality apps for iOS in parallel to help build your overall platform momentum

I think a focus on Android would be ultimately more beneficial to Sony, especially with is being the OS of choice for their own smart phone line. iOS and Apple are still a direct competitor to them, and doing anything to bolster that ecosystem will only prove to keep consumers entrenched in it, rather than trying to woo them away to an echo system that is compatible with Sony devices.

Ultimately however, Sony on the whole just needs toget better at software. Since MS and Google are primarily SW companies, and so Sony apps on iOS/Andriod just seem more like HW-maker attempts at software than anything else.

If Sony is interested in PS Now, then it means the company is thinking of virtualizing Playstation.

In the long run, MS and Google's visions are more threatening to Sony than Apple. The latter has more rigid but well defined game rules. They don't seem to want everything since they leave home, health, contents, cars, etc. to everyone else. The walled garden approach didn't stop Amazon, Google, and Microsoft from releasing their best products there although Google tried to gimp Maps at first.

The other 2 want to dominate the world by being everywhere. ^_^
Their models aim to marginalize h/w vendors like Sony in the long run. Sony, like Apple, would prefer not to cheapen the h/w.

The Sony mgmt need to be able to smell the situation better. Better software definitely helps but a strong partnership will go far too. They are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

They already work together in camera image sensor and music publishing areas.

I think their push on getting their TVs to work with as little lag as possible to benefit PS Now experience as well as regular games is a good example of the way Sony needs to think. Once they have that coherent vision, they can continue to partner. Gaikai may have been bought by Sony, but that is just to show how essential Sony considers that technology for the future - it is still above all a clear form of partnership.

Yes, I don't think Apple is interested in running a Gaikai-like service, or a Twitch TV service, or a VR goggle company. In a way Sony is more of an entertainment company (albeit with assorted s/w and h/w platforms) than Apple.

I think a focus on Android would be ultimately more beneficial to Sony, especially with is being the OS of choice for their own smart phone line.
Sony can't ignore iOS, it's too big, especially as iOS users are far bigger spenders when it comes to buying apps and stuff. Android users excel only in pirating software for their phones.

iOS and Apple are still a direct competitor to them, and doing anything to bolster that ecosystem will only prove to keep consumers entrenched in it, rather than trying to woo them away to an echo system that is compatible with Sony devices.
Even microsoft can't misdirect users over to their ecosystem, so how on earth would you expect sony to succeed there? Besides, sony has no actual financial stake in the success of android, they only make android phones because it's open and successful, but they could just as well be making phones running another OS. They're not actually making/marketing the OS itself, so wether they sell software for iOS or android devices is irrelevant. It's the sale itself that counts, not the platform it runs on.

Sony can't ignore iOS, it's too big, especially as iOS users are far bigger spenders when it comes to buying apps and stuff. Android users excel only in pirating software for their phones.

I didn't say that Sony should ignore iOS, just that they needn't focus on that platform, over Android which is increasing becoming the more dominant one considering the number of Android devices sold each year, compared to iOS devices. My point is with Android, Sony levergaes the huge installed bases of handsets provided by many handset manufacturers, including themselves, rather than just Apple whom aside from software and content revenue they have no other shared interest with.

Even microsoft can't misdirect users over to their ecosystem, so how on earth would you expect sony to succeed there? Besides, sony has no actual financial stake in the success of android, they only make android phones because it's open and successful, but they could just as well be making phones running another OS. They're not actually making/marketing the OS itself, so wether they sell software for iOS or android devices is irrelevant. It's the sale itself that counts, not the platform it runs on.

You missed my angle entirely with this. I'm not saying Sony should focus on Android because its good for Android. Rather they should focus on Android because its an OS they use for theri devices, and a software platform upon which they can leverage to sell content on devices they also don't even produce. By doing so they have the chance of entrenching people into that ecosystem, making it easier for them to translate laterally from other handset providers to theirs.

E.g. if Sony's next Xperia looks really appealling and you own a Samsung Galaxy, together with all your paid-for apps and content on your Google Android account, you can change to Sony's new handset relatively seamlessly without losing your investment in the software ecosystem (i.e. all your apps). That's something you cannot do going from iOS to Android, and so by bolstering iOS by focussing apps and service software development on iOS you inadvertently drive iOS consumers further away from you and your hardware.

MS is a different case, because MS have their own interests in their mobile windows platform, which is dwarfed by both Android and iOS. It would be senseless for MS to ignore iOS and Android to try to bolster Win mobile, as WinMo never had a chance in hell of becoming a serious competitor in the first place. The difference between Sony and MS, is Sony makes Android devices, and so anything they do to bolster that ecosystem will directly benefit them in the longrun. Hence it's entirely reasonable to focus on that platform rather than iOS.

Assuming this is the correct thread for this. . .

Preloading is now supported for the PS4 except:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/18/pre-order-pre-load-upcoming-ps4-games/

+ Chieh Chen on June 18th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Since pre-order for The Last of Us Remastered started before May 20, 2014, this title will not support the pre-load feature.

Would this be an SDK problem (i.e. the SDK version the game uses cannot support it) or is this just Sony lacking the will to run a manual update in their accounting records for "Last Of Us" pre-order customers? Seems bizarre to me.

I also wonder what the legality is of Sony offering "pre-orders" for a game 2 years away. Seems more like a corporate version of a kickstarter program than what is traditionally thought of as a pre-order. With no provision to cancel what if any of these games go all "Last Guardian"?

Cheers

If I'm not mistaken, Sony does not take any money from wallet/card until game is close to be released. I don't see the problem with them taking preorders for U4 right now when marketing campaign is started.

If I'm not mistaken, Sony does not take any money from wallet/card until game is close to be released. I don't see the problem with them taking preorders for U4 right now when marketing campaign is started.
I pre-ordered WATCH_DOGS in the UK and didn't get charged even on the morning of release, after the pre-load and install. I think it's bit hit and miss.

It wasn't even a card charging issue I had money in the PSN wallet (cheap PSN cards FTW!)

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/06...aracters-knack-possibly-becoming-a-franchise/
About Sony itself, House touched two very interesting points, mentioning that Knack is one of PS4′s most popular software and he wants to “cherish” the character, possibly implying that Mark Cerny’s labor of love could become a franchise.

More interestingly, House continued by saying that the company wants users to experience on PS4 “characters that people love” from older games.

While he did not specify any character by name, a few names come to mind. Feel free to let us know just below which old and beloved characters you’d like to see return, even if I’m quite sure I can guess most of the answers.
I'm so glad it sold well, Knack 2 would be awesome. :D

It feels like they'll have some interesting unveiling at TGS.

Word is that the free games for July will be Strider and Tower Ascension - or whatever the name is...

Looks like we'll have to pay for our games for a little while longer, as Ps+ won't treat us to the good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back