News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, Europe getting PS4s made in Japan.

ps4-japan-1.jpg

http://gearnuke.com/is-europe-getting-made-japan-playstation-4/

Oooh. Electronics manufacturing moving back to japan? Wow! I remember the 80s and early 90s, when all the best stuff came from there. Anything made in china/hongkong or taiwan was total crap, usually toys of the cheapest plastic you could find and fell apart when touched... Then things changed.

Oooh. Electronics manufacturing moving back to japan? Wow! I remember the 80s and early 90s, when all the best stuff came from there. Anything made in china/hongkong or taiwan was total crap, usually toys of the cheapest plastic you could find and fell apart when touched... Then things changed.

I'd be surprised if they actually manufactured the PCB in Japan. I could see them doing assembly of the finished good there. Could be wrong.

You can get quality boards out of pretty much anywhere now. But if I could pay extra to get a product made fully in Japan I'd do it, just from the human rights perspective.

PS4 seems to be designed to make the console as small and clean as possible, which is appreciable to customers. Xbox One looks to be designed to be incredibly simple to manufacture, assemble and service, which is more of a bottom-line approach.

I would presume X1 is designed for constant on operation.

So the external power supply makes sense, easier to replace without opening up the console.

So the external power supply makes sense, easier to replace without opening up the console.
The mechanical HDD is more likely part to fail first. Along with the fan, or the optical drive.

Power supplies don't fail unless badly designed or (in the case of the original 360) stupidly low power margin.

Also better for heat management, because people would be less likely to keep the console on if they hear the fan running.

I think all NA PS4s are made in China. Mine is as well and it has been problem free.

I've heard they've narrowed it down to a single production line in a single factory. That should allow them to work out exactly which units are likely to be affected.

I've heard they've narrowed it down to a single production line in a single factory. That should allow them to work out exactly which units are likely to be affected.

Did they indicate if that single production line was interns or regular factory workers?

Apple's building their new uber sophisticated Mac Pros in the US... American cars however have traditionally not had the best of reputations - internationally at least, and most murricans wouldn't know the difference as most people refuse to buy imported brands anyway. ;)

Apple's building their new uber sophisticated Mac Pros in the US... American cars however have traditionally not had the best of reputations - internationally at least, and most murricans wouldn't know the difference as most people refuse to buy imported brands anyway. ;)

I don't know who this "most murricans" is, but i do know that i have a honda, and most people i know have the mindset that japanese cars are more reliable than domestic engineering.

So..not sure where you got that.

I hope though that Sony has been working on pinpointing the exact location from where the defects resulted. Its not good press having this kind of thing happen beyond the launch period, and based on a majority of the Japanese blogs and 2ch, all the posters are freaking out about how PS4 has this RROD level defect rate when there's no real evidence to support that outside of being drip fed a few reports here and there. That's without them being on edge already because Korea is getting the console before them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back