News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015, the lawsuits over VR use are filed, with claims of disorientation after VR sessions leading to automobile and other accidents.
2016: Apple patents "a screen in front of your eyes", and sues everybody.

Apple successfully sued Samsung in spite of many things, so it's not so otherworldly :p

I think Samsung paid less than the total $1 billion though from the California verdict.

---

Anyway, seems like 2 screens in the way to go, 1 for each eye, especially since all the other versions have 2 screens lol.

We know that both companies have an interest in the technology, and Sony have developed 2-3 VR devices already...
Have they? I hope you're not referring to the HMZ headsets, because those are very definitely not VR products. They are personal movie-watching devices. Tiny field-of-view. Heavy. Expensive. No head tracking.

Sony certainly has the ability to build an actual VR headset, however. If Palmer Luckey could do it in his garage, I doubt it'd be much of a challenge for a major manufacturer of displays, optics, headphones, smartphones, and yes, head-mounted movie viewers. : )

Maybe Sony isn't going for head tracking, and it's just going for 3D stereoscopy with this new device.

Head tracking could possibly be achieved with PS Camera, and other tracking using Move. So maybe they are just offering a 3D solution to people who already most likely own 2D-only TV sets.

Maybe Sony isn't going for head tracking, and it's just going for 3D stereoscopy with this new device.

Head tracking could possibly be achieved with PS Camera, and other tracking using Move. So maybe they are just offering a 3D solution to people who already most likely own 2D-only TV sets.
That would reduce the hardware costs of the mounted headset. It would be a good solution. If the headset gives adequate visual queues to the PSEye in order to understand the angle and position of the head, it can feedback the in-game camera position to give the illusion of head tracking. No need for advanced gyroscopes and such in the VR set itself or at least the gyroscopes could be of much cheaper caliber

News of the Sony's own Oculus Rift VR competitor is really suprising, in a great way. Hopefully they will manage to create very responsive device, with great screen and use PSEye for excellent positional tracking [high framerate recording ftw]. PS Move controllers have already proven themselves as the most accurate motion controllers in the wild.

Price should be very low, except if they chose to bundle the headset with the expensive wireless surround headphones.

Have they? I hope you're not referring to the HMZ headsets, because those are very definitely not VR products. They are personal movie-watching devices. Tiny field-of-view. Heavy. Expensive. No head tracking.

Sony certainly has the ability to build an actual VR headset, however. If Palmer Luckey could do it in his garage, I doubt it'd be much of a challenge for a major manufacturer of displays, optics, headphones, smartphones, and yes, head-mounted movie viewers. : )

Have you tried this during the PS2 era ? Some Gaffer mentioned it:
http://www.playstationcollecting.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=75&threadid=74177

May be it will be a follow up to their Pulse headphone instead of HMZ-T series. :p

Have they? I hope you're not referring to the HMZ headsets, because those are very definitely not VR products.

Oops :). Although they apparently did create a prototype AR unit of the T2:
http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/09/12/...-head-tracking-and-pass-through-ar-video-1188

If Palmer Luckey could do it in his garage, I doubt it'd be much of a challenge for a major manufacturer of displays, optics, headphones, smartphones, and yes, head-mounted movie viewers. : )

Sony certainly seem to have all the necessary expertise to build such a thing. It should be fun to see what they've come up with, although the price is clearly key.

Sony certainly seem to have all the necessary expertise to build such a thing. It should be fun to see what they've come up with, although the price is clearly key.

Some NeoGaf insider has hinted that Sony VR device is more complex/advanced that Oculus Rift. So, i doubt is based on a single screen with optics. Maybe two smaller screens with optics?.

Some NeoGaf insider has hinted that Sony VR device is more complex/advanced that Oculus Rift. So, i doubt is based on a single screen with optics. Maybe two smaller screens with optics?.
Considering they are releasing the HMZ-T3 in November, maybe it's the same technology with added tracking similar to Move/PSEye. But it could be a mix up based on the fact that it's releasing in November, maybe it has nothing to do with gaming... The T3 is in a class of it's own. It's wireless (uncompressed, using the 60GHz band) with a battery pack, uses a pair of expensive 0.7" OLEDs, it's rectilinear and the lenses are much higher quality. It should be very expensive, I don't see how it can be in a gaming device. Occulus Rift has a major advantage in costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back