News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they were going to call it Playstation Omni?

I still think PS4 is sensibe though, they're on a roll now with the numeric naming, why stop.
And they can just call it PS Shi in Japan if 'four' sounds like their word for death.

However, that they didn't call the PS Vita the PSP2 might suggest that they'll go with a similarily esoteric name with PS4, like PS Omni or even PS Orbis.

Is Xperia the only Sony smartphone brand ? Under Apple's and Samsung's shadows, Lumia moved 4.4 mil units in the last 2012 quarter. Is 2012 the first year Sony Ericsson got absorbed into Sony ? I haven't tracked closely. To date, Sony Xperia Z is the first model that got my friends' interests but Sony's marketing can't match Samsung's. The latter allegedly spent 10 times more than Apple last year. MS threw in a boatload of $$$ in W8 phone marketing too. If they want to grow faster, Sony will need to throw in smarter marketing $$$.

I'm not sure. But I "think" all of their Android smartphones are under the Xperia brand name.

Regards,
SB

PSP/Vita forecast revision yet again.

20 > 16 > 10 > 7

Good job releasing a dud. Will likely get Lenny'd late 2013/early 2014 when all focus shifts to PS4, mobile and tablets.

20 > 16 > 10 > 7

Good job releasing a dud. Will likely get Lenny'd late 2013/early 2014 when all focus shifts to PS4, mobile and tablets.

I imagine they'll announce a lot of integration with PS4 and really try to emphasize cross buy and remote play going forward. That could renew interest for sure, and it's one thing their main competitor MS can't offer.

I'd say that's a poor business decision. They're better off promoting smartphone and tablet integration into the PS4.

Pushing a desirable product for cross sales due to integration is going to yield better results then resurrecting the dead.

I'd say that's a poor business decision. They're better off promoting smartphone and tablet integration into the PS4.

Pushing a desirable product for cross sales due to integration is going to yield better results then resurrecting the dead.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. And they've yet to make a tablet anyone wants.

And I disagree. The vita is a very technically good handheld. They just have to convince people it can do stuff a smartphone can't for them and keep giving it quality titles. Getting the price below 200 will also help. I'm sure that will happen around PS4 launch.

No offense but fcuk smartphone and tablet integration for games. Without actual tactile controls it's useless. Don't care about operating a map or extra HUD on a second screen.

Vita is basically going to set itself up to be a hardcore Orbis user's accessory, with the odd first party or paid 3rd party dev'd game here or there player. Might not have been what they had in mind when it first came out but it sure as hell is going to be better for the Vita with that feature to exploit sales out of than without it like now. And as long as they don't lose money on it (which they don't seem to be according to their earnings report) I don't think it's a big deal.

Anyone remember the Clies? Sony sold PDAs running Palm OS but the ID was more sleeker (metallic?) than the Palm branded PDAs?

Not sure if that was a big business for them.

Anyways, tying the PS4 only to Sony-branded mobile products would be the same old Sony. Trying to draft off the success and huge installed base of iOS and Android products would be new Sony. However, no guarantees of success.

Anyone remember the Clies? Sony sold PDAs running Palm OS but the ID was more sleeker (metallic?) than the Palm branded PDAs?

Anyways, tying the PS4 only to Sony-branded mobile products would be the same old Sony. Trying to draft off the success and huge installed base of iOS and Android products would be new Sony. However, no guarantees of success.

I think Sony has demonstrated openness to that concept via the idea of playstation mobile certified devices that aren't sony made.

I was responding to RobertR1's opinion that they'd be better off promoting tablet and smartphone integration instead of Vita connectivity. Being able to play Orbis games anywhere, even if just within the confines of your home has way more value than HUD map stuff. So if it's one or the other (which it won't be) than I'm choosing the Vita.

There are hundreds of millions of iOS and Android devices out there now.

Versus Vita integration would benefit what, 5 people? :p

Sync your iPad to view your KD ratio update in realtime!

Wait, that actually might be pretty cool with graphs, bar charts and histograms... and then a box score like in a sports game. Damn I just sold myself on it :)

I never owned a portable before Vita, but I find myself playing it more than anything else simply because of stand by mode. I just can't be bothered to go downstairs, turn on the console, sit in front of the tv, wait to boot up, dedicate a bunch of time, etc.. maybe it's just me getting old but if I can play Vita and Orbis games anytime for quick or moderate bursts that will be cool. Jaded old school gamers know whats up.

I still have a Clie sitting somewhere. An NR70V it was pretty cool at the time and really useful during meetings to record stuff. Must dig it out sometime and charge it up for a laugh!

Sync your iPad to view your KD ratio update in realtime!

Wait, that actually might be pretty cool with graphs, bar charts and histograms... and then a box score like in a sports game. Damn I just sold myself on it :)

I never owned a portable before Vita, but I find myself playing it more than anything else simply because of stand by mode. I just can't be bothered to go downstairs, turn on the console, sit in front of the tv, wait to boot up, dedicate a bunch of time, etc.. maybe it's just me getting old but if I can play Vita and Orbis games anytime for quick or moderate bursts that will be cool. Jaded old school gamers know whats up.

This is exactly what psvita and iPad like devices does . They offer the convenience that home consoles can't . So the streaming game equation will be big nxt gen.

20 > 16 > 10 > 7

I imagine they'll announce a lot of integration with PS4 and really try to emphasize cross buy and remote play going forward. That could renew interest for sure, and it's one thing their main competitor MS can't offer.

IMHO, promoting smartphone and tablet integration is unlikely to make a big difference too. ^_^
I consider it a hygiene factor. If you have the feature, victory is not guaranteed. If you don't have the feature, consumers may be dissatisfied.

I agree the 2 approaches (Vita integration and smartphone + tablet integration) are not mutually exclusive.

Personally, I think the basic Vita problem is the management did/does not have a clear idea of what they want Vita to be. They seem to lack the will to invest in its success. Sony saved on Vita's look and feel. While the LiveArea concept works surprisingly well, it is butt ugly and inconsistent (lookwise) by western look & feel standard. They did not deliver a unique and clear-cut leap of user experience + benefits for people to buy Vita in droves. The product seems to be conceived in isolation even though they probably sought a lot of technical feedback from developers.

As a result, gamers have to spend hands-on time with Vita to understand what the deal is. As a modern Playstation, it did not integrate with PS3's PSN until months later. It did not have a PSP library at launch, even though it could play them easily. It did not have any PS+ deal. The successful PSP games did not have follow-up on Vita due to Sony mishandling PSP earlier on. In general, there were tons of miscommunication and missed opportunities. SCEJ, SCEA and SCEE all seem to have different ideas when or how to drive Vita. No one seems to be in charge.

Only after launch did they get their act together to realize Vita's value proposition bit-by-bit. :)

Lucky for Sony, Vita turns out to be a superb and very capable gaming handheld. Some of the stuff are too late to change (e.g., PS3 and Vita integration is hampered by PS3's limitations). So yes, PS4 better delivers seamless Vita integration.

I think the management needs to start from the top level benefits and work their way down. Playstation Plus is a good place to begin. I would also revisit Vita's battery need. If Vita is plugged into the wall socket, car charger or battery pack, Sony should let Vita run at its full potential (e.g., make it always-connected, or even serve as a local LAN Playstation game server for nearby iOS/Android devices). Right now, the experience is a little fragmented by the need to keep power consumption low.

Other non-games on Vita should be "gamified" and properly integrated too. The apps and games should be picked carefully, not randomly, to fit the target user profiles.

I got a tethered tablet dataplan for my iPad mini 3 months ago. Hope to rebuy a Vita again. An always-connected Vita packed with your favorite games and media is a very cool experience. It's like scuba diving in a sea of sweetness. Few people understand this upfront.

I really think there was nothing they could do to make the vita a hit. 3DS had problems too.

They wer both buggy whipped by mobile devices.

They better hope that the trends which made vita such a hard sell don't impact consoles too. Besides mobile devices, they have to contend with cheap set top boxes -- in the past year, they said more XBL members were watching Netflix than playing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back