News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
They absolutely have to showcase Octodad because it symbolizes the level playing field between the small and big guys. Downplaying Octodad (or other indie games) in major events will be seen as a negative move, like what MS suffered.

Hey, cool to see Mr. Jabbari, he did some really good job with Atlus and Demon's Souls :) . Hope he will get the job with Demon's Souls 2 ;) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rhlr1tAqljk

So that's how he looks like. ^_^

Demon's Souls 2 on PS4. I hope they pay attention to every little details. We already lost a little shine and atmosphere when going to Dark Souls.

Some more weird interaction between silent players would be welcomed.

Eurogamer Portugal released translated version of Richard Leadbetter's DF article [eng version is not up yet] that talks about PS4 memory. Apparently, SDK documentation says that game dev's can have guaranteed access to only 4.5GB of ram. Additional 1GB is described as "flexible".
http://www.eurogamer.pt/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory_1

edit - main article is up
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-system-software-memory

So prior to the upgrade, the games had access to 512MB of ram, the same amount +~50MB thats in the current consoles.

Why don't I believe that?.

So prior to the upgrade, the games had access to 512MB of ram, the same amount +~50MB thats in the current consoles.

Why don't I believe that?.

All that extra memory announced, all for OS use. Doesn't make the slightest sense, really.

Edit: 15 minutes video straight to ram confirmed :p Also we need PS4 to be able to hold 20 tabs in its browser without going to swap memory. That's going to be super awesome. Also, if a game is using the extra "flexible" memory, since it is not a guarantee, game performance would be very variable based on what is happening in the background. Awesome. We'd need performance tips for our consoles, just like the PC, really cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a few of us might feel somewhat vindicated by this news. That's not to say that the news is good.

Now I'm wondering what Sony and MS are going to use all of this RAM for. It seems a massive waste to use GDDR5 for the OS, especially when it's 3.5GB.

I honestly don't need to be able to switch between apps and games on the fly. I'd be much happier if they were to allow games to have a much larger game pool of memory and not be able to switch to apps quickly. It's not like I've ever used any on current gen.

Absolute waste of resource if you ask me (am willing to be proven wrong though).

Eurogamer Portugal released translated version of Richard Leadbetter's DF article [eng version is not up yet] that talks about PS4 memory. Apparently, SDK documentation says that game dev's can have guaranteed access to only 4.5GB of ram. Additional 1GB is described as "flexible".

GAF EXPLODES :runaway:

All that extra memory announced, all for OS use. Doesn't make the slightest sense, really.

Agreed. Surely it would've been better to have a split memory pool, one for games (GDDR5) and one for the operating system (DDR3). Devs wouldn't even need to access the system pool of ram, so they still have a 'unified' pool.

Bizarre state of affairs.

Unbelievable. So, what, apparently the PS4 is reserving more memory for its OS than the Xbox One's 3GB? This is insane.

What the hell was the point of doubling the memory for the unit if practically all of it, save 500MB, was going to be cast into the seemingly endless abyss that is the OS? PS4 doesn't even have the excuse of an always jacked in Kinect 2.0.

More than just a tiny bit aggravating they were bragging about 8GB of GDDR5 to gamers when the reality was we'd get barely half that for what we're using the damn thing for: gaming.

Wow not exactly PS4 specific but this gen tunrs into the most "wasteful" generation ever.
I feel really few intensive to pay 399$ or 499$ including RAM that I don't need not too mention peripherals.
Anyway my line thinking stating that 6GB was more than enough for Sony was not so out of place.
For me it is close to nonsensical for Sony to waste that much ram/

Gives me headache...

Sony Defense Force hit from the flank yikes. :)

I gotta say I expected that there would be some extra RAM reserved and that reserve would diminish over time like the PS3 but almost 1/2 the RAM ?? That I was not expecting. Who knows when this SDK reveal was made and what the reserve is going to be at launch but that is a bit of a bombshell.

Agreed. Surely it would've been better to have a split memory pool, one for games (GDDR5) and one for the operating system (DDR3). Devs wouldn't even need to access the system pool of ram, so they still have a 'unified' pool.

Bizarre state of affairs.

I think that would have been hard to do. You'd still need a 256bit bus for the GDDR5, but now you would have to add at least a 64bit bus for the DDR3. That would be costly and hard too shrink, imo.

Definitely surprised by this... thought it would be 2GB tops (thought 1GB-1.5GB was more likely). It does say 1GB of 'flexible' memory is available if need be. And the number is likely to decrease over time; whereas when EG asked MS, they said 3GB is pretty much set in stone and not likely to change. In the first year or two, is more than 4.5-5.5GB really needed?

8GB for games didnt make any sense in february and for machines of these specs. They are not powerful enough

Pretty obvious they are just trying to match the amount MS is giving to devs. Giving extra memory over Xbone for games is not going to do much of anything for PS4. But it is out of OS development

If PS4 only had 4GB RAM the OS would be just much worse. honestly they need MORE memory than MS to do an OS because they are not a software company

AFAICT:
- the PS4 has 4.5GB RAM reserved for a game.
- there is additionally a 1GB "system cache" that can be used by the game or the OS. (OS uses it for background downloads etc? I assume the game is supposed to use it for pre-caching or something).
- the OS uses 2.5GB for it's own purposes.

That system reservation/cache could use being 0.5-1GB smaller...

On the other hand if Sony is looking to create a UI with similar response times to XB1 and somewhat similar functionality then it isn't out of line I guess. MS does have lots of experience with those kinds of things and Sony, if it is targeting XB1 UI smoothiness, is going to take a while to optimize things.

Hmm... still incomplete info.

It may be something like this:
Guaranteed: 4.5GB game process memory
Optional: 1GB system heap (shared with everyone else)
Developer allocate memory in "zones".

Others: 2.5GB (For OS and other app processes. e.g., allow 1 concurrent foreground app + 1 game in RemotePlay mode). Will need to see the UI to understand what the OS can/cannot do.

Memory addresses can be mapped and resolved in a unified manner, but access can be controlled.

From dumbo11's list:
a) CPU-RAM (unnamed) uses CPU caches: Standard practice.
b) GPU-RAM (garlic) uses GPU caches: Standard practice.
c) GPU-RAM (onion) uses both GPU and CPU caches: Some special/low-level GNM flags/APIs will maintain CPU cache coherency in addition to GPU cache
d) GPU-RAM (onion+): Some special/low-level GNM flags/APIs to bypass GPU cache. Just a variation of (c).

EDIT:
guess they should have started with netBSD? ;)

They are using NetBSD. The 2.5GB reserved memory may include other apps and user services running concurrently.

EDIT: Corrected 3.5GB to 2.5GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back