Newell: Win8 is a catastrophe; Pardo: I don't disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but historically upgrades were around the price of a new OEM license (in fact last time I checked upgrade between Windows 7 SKUs was more expensive than target SKU OEM license itself; I wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of weird pricing scheme for upgrades between distinct versions) and at least according to laws in my place of origin building your own machine from scratch makes you eligible to get an OEM license (it's then tied to your HW so changing components down the line may invalidate it).

Can't you usually get around that by calling MS and telling them something broke down etc? Atleast it was really easy in the XP days though they might have changed that.

True, but historically upgrades were around the price of a new OEM license (in fact last time I checked upgrade between Windows 7 SKUs was more expensive than target SKU OEM license itself; I wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of weird pricing scheme for upgrades between distinct versions) and at least according to laws in my place of origin building your own machine from scratch makes you eligible to get an OEM license (it's then tied to your HW so changing components down the line may invalidate it).

Changing components may invalidate it, but that 'only' requires a call to Microsoft to fix if that happens.

If you buy a new harddrive you can often get the OEM version with that. It's usually a matter of convincing the store you're (re)building a PC, though there are still stores here and there that just sell you the OEM outright.

Carmack said that he was happy with Windows XP. Windows 7 did give him a few unexpected benefits though (something with handling very large files being 100x more efficiently). He's basically primarily not excited by any new feature in Windows 8 that he knows of, and the idea that he is releasing a game at the time this new OS comes out will force his probably strained team to do yet more work, so obviously that's an active 'dislike' right there. ;)

or there was that silly dance of buying a $1 cable if you buy an OEM license (if you want to be creative, it has to be an internal cable, could be something totally worthless such as audio cable between optical drive and sound card, or the sata cable)

but what happens, at least in my eyes, is that you are your own OEM :). but I'd have to register my own company then have the company sell a computer to myself (dunno if such wackery is legal or not), then call microsoft to know if I'm right..

leaving that stupid rambling aside, windows 8 could be desireable even on old PC (leaving out power hungry pentium 4 and D). your random 7-year-old PC is more powerful than an ARM tablet.

Fwiw, "Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99"

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...07/02/upgrade-to-windows-8-pro-for-39-99.aspx

We set out to make it as easy as possible for everyone to upgrade to Windows 8. Starting at general availability, if your PC is running Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you will qualify to download an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for just $39.99 in 131 markets. And if you want, you can add Windows Media Center for free through the “add features” option within Windows 8 Pro after your upgrade.

This upgrade promotion for Windows 8 Pro both online and at retail runs through January 31st, 2013.

Even though Win8 has interesting upgrades under the hood, I'm tempted to stick with 7...
Amusingly I didn't have trouble with Vista.

I'm using Vista right now, and the only real issues I have with it are because this was the first system I've ever built, and the only I have 100% total control over. IBTKB errors, in other words.

Back to the topic at hand http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23389

I suppose the naysayers earlier were at least partially correct about Gabe's motives for speaking out against Windows 8.

That said, the last time a game selling service also sold applications, it didn't fare too well... They sold themselves to Gamestop.

Considering from what I've read, the Metro App store pretty much prohibits the sale of any of the "core" PC games. For example, games with excessive violence can't be sold through Metro, I believe. There's a lot of restrictions that limit games sold through Metro to be more casual oriented. Hence, even more reason that Gabe is just blowing air through his rear. :p

Although I suppose if most of Steam's revenue is generated by more casual titles, then he might have something to fear.

Regards,
SB

Windows 8 is much faster than vista or even 7. So many people on older hardware will notice postive changes. Its actually helped my gaming out . I have a hp dm3z with 4 gigs of ram and a amd neo dual core 1.6ghz with a hd 3200 igp and a hd 4330. My game performance has actually gone up in most games .

I can't wait to see some sites doing side by side comparisons of 7 vs 8 in gaming senarios

I've tried the first public test version of Win 8 (booted from network, so I/O is not comparable to a local installation) on my T43 thinkpad laptop, and it definitely runs slower than Windows Vista which is the local installed OS.

I'm convinced because the graphics card, a Radeon mobility X300 w/64MB RAM, is too slow for the graphic effects in Win8. Windows Vista's hw-accelerated Aero interface is much lighter on the GPU. With Windows 8, every time there's an effect, the screen updates in a choppy manner. This is mostly in the supplied Metro apps, as they seem to use lots of graphic effects.

How much hdd space does win 8 need,
win7 needed 15x the space of xp (why, who knows) i hope win 8 doesnt follow the trend

dZeus:
Are you saying the graphical effects run on the CPU in win8? ...Because if they run on the GPU, they shouldn't be any slower than the equivalent effect under aero.

Unless they are slower for some reason(Maybe they got prettier, maybe MS just screwed up and made it unnecessarily slow...).

I've tried the first public test version of Win 8 (booted from network, so I/O is not comparable to a local installation) on my T43 thinkpad laptop, and it definitely runs slower than Windows Vista which is the local installed OS.

I'm convinced because the graphics card, a Radeon mobility X300 w/64MB RAM, is too slow for the graphic effects in Win8. Windows Vista's hw-accelerated Aero interface is much lighter on the GPU. With Windows 8, every time there's an effect, the screen updates in a choppy manner. This is mostly in the supplied Metro apps, as they seem to use lots of graphic effects.

Its been almost a year since the first preview of windows 8 hit the web. Perhaps its time to retry ? Not only has the OS seen alot of work but so have the drivers , the first pubilc test verison of win 8 i couldn't get amd's CCC to work and i had to use my brazos as a generic gpu . But now the drivers install with no problems and its much faster than windows 7.

Unless they are slower for some reason(Maybe they got prettier
Yeah I was thinking that, but then couldn't think of a reason why you'd need prettier GUI effects that just had the effect of slowing down your system (and gobbling lots of power on mobile computers).

Also, considering the simplistic look of the new non-aero desktop GUI in Win8, I can't think of any effect that could possibly look prettier/run slower than what we got in vista/7... :)

Considering from what I've read, the Metro App store pretty much prohibits the sale of any of the "core" PC games. For example, games with excessive violence can't be sold through Metro, I believe. There's a lot of restrictions that limit games sold through Metro to be more casual oriented. Hence, even more reason that Gabe is just blowing air through his rear. :p

Good point. Also what should be kept in mind are the memory restrictions of Metro apps:

"Small app": 80MB
"Medium app": 100MB
"Large app": 150MB

Ok, these aren't set into stone but are "desired working set sizes". I don't think that many of the high profile games can fit into 150MB.

For example, games with excessive violence can't be sold through Metro, I believe.
Up to and including PEGI 16 allows plenty of games. In a way this just makes it a bigger clusterfuck ... providing a force to downgrade rating levels for PC games. What does Microsoft care if they fracture PC gaming and make "mature" games a harder sell on it? They only see it as competition for the XBOX after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back