A Mark Rein Interview (VP of Epic)

BlueTsunami said:
The reason I say that it you may get sub par games because since the engine is easy to use...companies can pump out games that don't take to much time (or less time from the last generation). Developers may want to be creative and create the best game ever but if you can make a game and not put 3-4 years into because an engine that easy to develop for...then you may get more uninspired games....
I can see what you are saying, but respectively disagree :) If a developer is spending the majority of their time and budget developing an in-house engine (or a difficult to use bought-in engine) then surely they have less time and money to devote to creating game content and assets? Make a tool simple and intuitive and you are more likely to get people experimenting with ideas and being creative.

Diplo said:
BlueTsunami said:
The reason I say that it you may get sub par games because since the engine is easy to use...companies can pump out games that don't take to much time (or less time from the last generation). Developers may want to be creative and create the best game ever but if you can make a game and not put 3-4 years into because an engine that easy to develop for...then you may get more uninspired games....
I can see what you are saying, but respectively disagree :) If a developer is spending the majority of their time and budget developing an in-house engine (or a difficult to use bought-in engine) then surely they have less time and money to devote to creating game content and assets? Make a tool simple and intuitive and you are more likely to get people experimenting with ideas and being creative.

Oh most definatley!!! I guess i'm taking on the glass half empty perspective. Hopefully what your saying will be the case. More time adding to game content and tweaking it to perfection.

one said:
Too late :p
frame-city-killer-20050518071015171.jpg

Let me guess the game is named, House of Wax. :LOL:

here is an interesting excerpt from another Mark Rein interview, which AFAIK has not yet been discussed here:
GI: As someone who's been working closely with next-gen development, what do you think the biggest difference consumers are going to see in next-gen games is?

MR: There's no question that the graphics are going to be a huge upgrade. You know, people are such snobs, with this "oh, it's not about graphics" thing. That's such nonsense. It's totally about graphics, What's the difference between the first Metal Gear Solid and the latest Metal Gear Solid? Right, it's "wow, the graphics!" There's no question, that's going to be the first thing that people see - they're going to see that the visuals are just spectacular.

Other than that... I think that games have come a long way, and they'll have more processing power in the next generation so I think they'll certainly be able to do more cool things going on at one time, so a little more interactivity. Sound as well, on these systems they're obviously going to be pushing super high-quality sound, and I think that'll be pretty significant.

The main thing, though, is that I think your games will just look a hell of a lot better. I think that Microsoft has done a phenomenal job with Xbox Live, and I'm sure that they're going to come up with even cooler things that it can do - I mean, they've already done some great stuff. You now have the ability to just turn on your Xbox and send a voice message to somebody, say "hey, you want to play this game?" or whatever, which I think is brilliant. I'm sure they're going to come up with even cooler things to do, having more processing power.

I think that the main thing is going to be the graphics, but also important is the ability to have more live things going on on the machine at one time. That's definitely going to be crucial as well. A game like Half-Life 2 that had maybe 20 guys walking around a level, maybe now you'll see 30 or 40. You have more processing power, so you can make more of your AIs smart as opposed to just throwing more dumb guys in.
[source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=7189 ]

It's funny how people say Mark Rein is a Sony clone. Now what will people say after this comment. Totally pro X360. It's cool in my book, but watch how it will just go over most people's head.

That GI.biz article is a couple of months old...I remember discussing it, but I don't know whether it was here or not :p

Edit; months not weeks, so obviously I never discussed it here :oops:

mckmas8808 said:
thats NOT pro360, thats pro Live.

Okay, isn't LIVE the DNA of the X360? Blakjedi of all people, you should know better.

Rein is pro PS3 hardware... he prefers the Cell and RSX individually and collectively to the hardware in x360. Him liking live doesnt make him pro 360 it just means he likes LIVE!

Him liking Live is good... considering there is no other comparable online service to Live. I'm willing to bet a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that AS SOON AS Sony debuts Sony World Online or whatever they call it he'll be MORE positive about it than Live.

Then there will be nothing about X360, hardware or services that he prefers. Its simple to see really. Good day to you Mc

Rein is pro PS3 hardware... he prefers the Cell and RSX individually and collectively to the hardware in x360.

Obviously..and the real question is WHY. We know Epic is "in bed" with Nvidia but are you saying he just got a bigger bed to accomodate Sony.. :?:

3roxor said:
Rein is pro PS3 hardware... he prefers the Cell and RSX individually and collectively to the hardware in x360.

Obviously..and the real question is WHY. We know Epic is "in bed" with Nvidia but are you saying he just got a bigger bed to accomodate Sony.. :?:

People bet on two kinds of horses. they horse they like and the horse that is supposed to win.

horse they like in this case is nv
horse that is supposed to win is Sony.

blah blah blah is why...

People bet on two kinds of horses. they horse they like and the horse that is supposed to win.

blah blah blah is why...

hmm..yeah..well..as of now they got more games in development for the Xbox360 is it not :?: I guess if there is a "horse" that's supposed to win for them it's Microsoft..

blakjedi said:

blah blah blah is why...
Why can it not be that Mark is speaking about what he likes about the platforms rather than working a sales pitch into every statement? I've heard him say good things about XB360. He talks about Live because he likes it. He talks about PS3 because he likes it. His opinions make not agree with others, but he's entitled to them. It's not like UE3 is Sony/PS3 only, so he's got nothing to gain to promoting that platform unfairly.

I'm more inclined to think he works with products because he likes them, rather than he likes products because he works with them. He praises nVidia because he likes them, not because he works with them.

Ever since next-gen was announced it's polarized every commentary on the hardware in some people's eyes, and they see everyone as taking one side or other, rather than just talking about the boxes. By that philosophy we should rate DeanoC as the ultimate Sony fanboy as Sony are paying his wages, and everything he says is Sony propaganda.

It is possible to have opinions founded on more than just bias and prejudice you know...

3roxor said:

blah blah blah is why...

hmm..yeah..well..as of now they got more games in development for the Xbox360 is it not :?: I guess if there is a "horse" that's supposed to win for them it's Microsoft..

We need to make a correction here, its not EPIC who is PRO Sony(Because NV of Course), its Tim and Mark who are. There are other guys, for example, the guy doing GEars Of War for Xbox 360, Cliffy B, he is not PRo Sony, the guy who did some interiew for ut2007 in wich next gen consoles were talked about, he wasnt Pro Sony or Pro MS, well he was kinda Pro MS because of LIVE, wich makes sense because Ut2007 is all about multiplayer.

But MArk and Tim....geez, they have NV shoved all the way up in the ass.

therealskywolf said:
well he was kinda Pro MS because of LIVE, wich makes sense because Ut2007 is all about multiplayer.
So he's not Pro-Live! or in favour of one aspect of a gaming platform, but Pro-MS on account of one feature?

I also hear Tim and Mark prefer Silver over White, so are totally Pro-Sony. I happen to like Blue over Green, and as Playstation games come in Blue boxes and XB games come in Green boxes, that means I totally love Sony and despise MS. I prefer Hotdogs to Sushi so I guess I love America and hate Japan too. In which case, maybe I should love XB over PS because XB has the advantage of coming from a country that has a food I prefer. :?

:rolleyes:

We need to make a correction here, its not EPIC who is PRO Sony(Because NV of Course), its Tim and Mark who are. There are other guys, for example, the guy doing GEars Of War for Xbox 360, Cliffy B, he is not PRo Sony, the guy who did some interiew for ut2007 in wich next gen consoles were talked about, he wasnt Pro Sony or Pro MS, well he was kinda Pro MS because of LIVE, wich makes sense because Ut2007 is all about multiplayer.

me = interested..link :?:

3roxor said:

me = interested..link :?:

Ah sorry man, but i only have the interview in my head. It was from the guy who used to appear on Unreal Championship 2 interviews, it was neither Mark Reign nor Tim Sweeney. And regarding Cliff, why would you even need a link? The guy is making Gears of WAr.

And shifty, one thing is you liking one gameplay aspect a console may give you, the other is having an orgasm just because Ps3 has RSX in it. Prior to Sony/Nv deal, they didnt give 2 cents about Ps3 or Cell. And they are allways very cautious when talking about C1....its like they have no prob talking RSX but when its about Xenos/C1 its like "Yeah...thats cool *whispers*but thats from Ati dude, you know how it is, we have NV up our asses*whispers*, but back to RSX, you cant believe...." :rolleyes:

I'm more inclined to think he works with products because he likes them, rather than he likes products because he works with them. He praises nVidia because he likes them, not because he works with them.

Do not forget Mark Rein is a MARKETING guy.Not a tech guy (at all )

Back