New Warhawk news and video!

the environment looks super boring imho
You can't expect the same level of fidelity as a standalone FPS though. There's only a finite amount of resources any company can donate to a project, and if most of that is taken up creating expansive levels for the key flying aspect of the game, you'll get less on the runaround bits.

Plus some places are boring! This looks like a very utilitarian WWII-esque tech-level base, which isn't going to be rich in eyecandy. And if it's quite a new base, it won't be rich in dirt to add variety either.

I found the self shadowing effect was technically good, but jarringly low-resolution. Some of the modelling detail on the hero looked over-the-top. The runaround gameplay looked on par with current-gen, and what I'd expect. Pay attention to the way the soldiers climb over the concrete wall - it's just their walking motion and they move upwards. Like SW:Battlefronts space combat wasn't as effective as it's ground combat because that was an 'extra', this is what people should be expecting. That doesn't mean it's 'tacked on' as it can be integral to the game, but just not as polished as games without such a broad environment where you can be runnig around one minute, and flying around the next. The engine that's good for a flying game won't be so good for a running game and it shouldn't be compared to them.

You can't expect the same level of fidelity as a standalone FPS though. There's only a finite amount of resources any company can donate to a project, and if most of that is taken up creating expansive levels for the key flying aspect of the game, you'll get less on the runaround bits.

That doesnt mean its an excuse for the ground portion to suck though.. ;) The developers are charged with the balancing act of that decision and determining that if they cant do both with some level of effectiveness, it might not be a good idea. If the ground game is not good, they dont get a total pass on it because they also have a flying game included (especially if the gamer is REQUIRED to suffer through it as part of the SP campaign).

Plus some places are boring! This looks like a very utilitarian WWII-esque tech-level base, which isn't going to be rich in eyecandy. And if it's quite a new base, it won't be rich in dirt to add variety either.

Sure, but we dont usually want to play games in boring places, even if they exist in real life. I can make a game called "gunfight at expletive's house", but just because it exists doesnt mean its fun to have a game there. ;)

I found the self shadowing effect was technically good, but jarringly low-resolution. Some of the modelling detail on the hero looked over-the-top. The runaround gameplay looked on par with current-gen, and what I'd expect. Pay attention to the way the soldiers climb over the concrete wall - it's just their walking motion and they move upwards. Like SW:Battlefronts space combat wasn't as effective as it's ground combat because that was an 'extra', this is what people should be expecting. That doesn't mean it's 'tacked on' as it can be integral to the game, but just not as polished as games without such a broad environment where you can be runnig around one minute, and flying around the next. The engine that's good for a flying game won't be so good for a running game and it shouldn't be compared to them.

Personally, if the ground game is a mediocre PS2 game, i would consider it 'tacked on' and not even worthwhile including because it will just spoil what could be a great air-combat game

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but we dont usually want to play games in boring places, even if they exist in real life. I can make a game called "gunfight at expletive's house", but just because it exists doesnt mean its fun to have a game there. ;)

That sounds pretty fun to me. =p

Back