New Tekken 6 Trailer

Tekken Tag on PS2 was using ~10,000 polygons per model-- while Tekken 4 used roughly ~7,000 polygons per model, IIRC. Tekken 5 and Tekken 5 DR might have upped the polygon count somewhat, but probably not to the 10k level like TTT.

Tekken 6, can't tell what kind of poly-count the models have but yeah, and it does seem like Namco is using the same decade-old Tekken 3 animation from 1996-1997.

Last edited by a moderator:
TTT PS2 was using ~10,000 polygons per model-- whhile Tekken 4, Tekken 5, Tekken 5 DR used roughly 6,000~7,000 polygons per model, IIRC.

Tekken 6, can't tell what kind of poly-count the models have but yeah, and it does seem like Namco is using the same decade-old Tekken 3 animation from 1996-1997.

Actually I have to disagree about the animation. Although definetely it could have been much much better, the animation is slightly changed from Tekken4 and onwards.

Well TTT made me go :oops: :oops: when I first saw it running on PS2. And although T5 overally looks better in most cases there are many in which TTT still has an edge over it

Can you explain yourself with screenshots? I have some trouble wrapping my mind around this concept. I did like the animation in some of the environments, sure, but ... ?

Can you explain yourself with screenshots? I have some trouble wrapping my mind around this concept. I did like the animation in some of the environments, sure, but ... ?
I ve tried to find some high res images to show but I cant find any unfortunately.

I ll try explain some examples though

You will notice that some surfaces give the illusion that there is some bumb mapping. Stages like these are Yoshimitu's, Law's and Ogre's stage.

Even the wood on the ground in Jin's stage doesnt look completely flat. Namco did an excelent job with the lighting so it looks like every piece of wood nailed on the ground its slightly curved inwards.

Other stages showed crazy amounts of reflections going on.

Also the lighting effects on clothes were also unique. Lei's traditional Chinese costume looks and shines like silk. The metal on Yoshimitsu's armor looks like metal and even gives the impression that there is some bumb mapping.

edit: found some
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/images/tekkentag/ps2screens/ps2-04.jpg
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/images/tekkentag/ps2screens/ps2-09.jpg
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/tekkentag/viewer.php?gid=tttps2&pid=7
ttt.jpg

4115.jpg

Maybe parrying grapples, but other than that I hope they keep it out of my tekken. :)

I can't see the SIXAXIS functionality being used for anything other than stun recovery, but even that would only be a substitute for button mashing as the arcades will use a stick control, along with what I imagine to be a good chunk of home users. In fact, it's probably not precise enough even for that. It would be quite annoying to accidentially perform a parry or evade in the middle of a 10-hit combo because you moved or tilted the controller slightly.

Btw checked the trailer a few times and I am feeling more and more dissapointed everytime I watch it.

The game clearly uses Tekken5's character assets. Lighting, textures and everything are also low quality . I am sure the game is running on an enhanced System256 board. Thats definetely not a PS3. The advancement is similar to what System12 was to System11.

I d be very dissapointed if thats how the game will be like on the PS3. I will get it eventually for the gameplay but this is not how I imagined the next Tekken to look. I have hopes that just like TTT improved on PS2 over its arcade original T6 will improve over this one which is supposed to represent the arcade version.

Unfortunately though chances seem low. In the trailer they are clearly using PS3 dev kits, not PS2's.

Seeing what EA achieved on characters were pores, skin cracks, wrinkles, muscle and facial deformation are visible I am dissapointed with what Namco did. Especially after the trailer they showed as at E3 2005

Btw checked the trailer a few times and I am feeling more and more dissapointed everytime I watch it.

The game clearly uses Tekken5's character assets. Lighting, textures and everything are also low quality . I am sure the game is running on an enhanced System256 board. Thats definetely not a PS3. The advancement is similar to what System12 was to System11.

I d be very dissapointed if thats how the game will be like on the PS3. I will get it eventually for the gameplay but this is not how I imagined the next Tekken to look. I have hopes that just like TTT improved on PS2 over its arcade original T6 will improve over this one which is supposed to represent the arcade version.

Unfortunately though chances seem low. In the trailer they are clearly using PS3 dev kits, not PS2's.

Seeing what EA achieved on characters were pores, skin cracks, wrinkles, muscle and facial deformation are visible I am dissapointed with what Namco did. Especially after the trailer they showed as at E3 2005

Off tangent a bit - but EA should get some love for what they've been putting out on next gen so far. While Namco/Sega etc may not be pushing the HW to the limit as much as EA let's not discredit what EA has been doing lately.

I'm seriously disappointed with both Namco and Sega of late. It wasn't long ago these guys were the top of the industry. :cry:

I hope they turn it around soon.

Off tangent a bit - but EA should get some love for what they've been putting out on next gen so far. While Namco/Sega etc may not be pushing the HW to the limit as much as EA let's not discredit what EA has been doing lately.

I'm seriously disappointed with both Namco and Sega of late. It wasn't long ago these guys were the top of the industry. :cry:

I hope they turn it around soon.

I didnt discredit EA. I actually gave credit there for their character work on Fight Night 3 ;)

Or perhaps you were talking in general? :)

edit: Oops indeed you were talking in general. Yep the deserve the credit in some parts

I still think that the quality of the video itself is not good enough. In this HD era that makes a lot of difference, I believe it would not look nearly as disapointing on a good display with real or direct feed footage. But I feel you Nesh I was hoping for more too, but it ain't over till we're playing it, so it might improve.

I hope Bad_Boys theory about the death of Paul is wrong, because he's one of my favourite characters, I already almost had a stroke when they said Heihachi is dead in Tekken 5.

Well lets hope you are right about HD.

I dont think you should worry about paul being dead though :)

I doubt Namco would take out Paul's fighting style and since Leo doesnt have Paul's moves judging from the trailer I think he will remain intact.

I doubt Namco would take out Paul's fighting style and since Leo doesnt have Paul's moves judging from the trailer I think he will remain intact.

Yes I agree. it would be strange to drop Paul. I'm confident he's in the game, eventhough Bad_Boy is evilly plotting against him :LOL:

Wikipedia said:
Confirmed Characters

* Zafina (New Character)
* Leo (New Character)
* Jack-6 (New Character)
* Potato Man Version 3000 (New Character)
* Devil Jin
* Lili
* Sergei Dragunov
* Hwoarang
* Bryan Fury
* Armor King
* Asuka Kazama

No Yoshimitsu?! Personally I thought he/it was the series' defining character.

Back