New Skate Character Models...what uncanny valley??

Couple new SKATE character model screens from over at gamespot, the best character models I've ever seen as far as avoiding the uncanny valley and looking like real people:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/015/935644_20070116_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/001/935644_20070102_screen001.jpg

Mod:
scoob, you've been around long enough to know the image size rules

What the hell, the guy in the first picture is Jerry Hsu. Wow.

Couple new SKATE character model screens from over at gamespot, the best character models I've ever seen as far as avoiding the uncanny valley and looking like real people:

Mmm I think you're confusing "looking like ugly people" with "looking like real people". I mean, those models have been deliberately made to look like ugly guys, which somewhat goes against the status quo of having vin-diesel (or model-looking anyway) models and makes them look more "realistic".
Still, when you look past that, you can clearly see that these models are technically just as (un)advanced as what we normally see in realtime graphics.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/015/935644_20070116_screen001.jpg
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2007/001/935644_20070102_screen001.jpg

They look amazing, But animation is crutial part here... Same as in Heavy Rain tech demo. That girl was beautifully modeled, but there was something missing in her eye and lips movement.

And this is skating game, so this models will be far from camera and in constant movement. We wont be able to see they facial animation all the time.

I was going to not paste cgtalk-links since the models seemed to be for in-game use, but the box has been opened ;)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=121&t=399499
The most realistic render I have ever seen. The hair and smile seems a bit off, but otherwise perfect.

Sick... Except for the ''robotish'' (she smiles, but it feels like there is nothing behind the smile, especially the look in her eyes is a bit dead) look on her face i'd say it real. Change the hair and the look on her face and it could pass for real for 99,9% of the people I think. Wonder what kind of fun things he makes his favorite actress do ;)

As for the skate models, I dont think they look really realistic. Especially the face's are awkward looking. The most realistic ingame models ive seen still are those in hl2 I think. They dont have the guy-on-steroids-look most games have and the faces look like they have some emotion in them.

Sick... Except for the ''robotish'' (she smiles, but it feels like there is nothing behind the smile, especially the look in her eyes is a bit dead) look on her face i'd say it real. Change the hair and the look on her face and it could pass for real for 99,9% of the people I think. Wonder what kind of fun things he makes his favorite actress do ;).

Man forget all of that. She looks 100% real now.

Change the hair and the look on her face and it could pass for real for 99,9% of the people I think. Wonder what kind of fun things he makes his favorite actress do ;)
She'd make 99.9999% of people believe she was real already! Absolutely awesome work, though not at all of any use to games...

Interestingly, on these 'what most people need to see to think it looks real' remarks, I've had PS2 games where people have said they thought it was real TV!

well, they have to look real to get close to the uncanny valley.. they are too off for me to get to that valley.. but they're close (they look simply too unnatural to me to like them.. neither as zombies nor as humans :D)

a prime example how style can help fighting the uncanny valley is zelda, wind waker.. great realistic animations and movements in a cartoon shaded world. somehow, it was the most natural feeling and looking game I've played.

A perfect human is on the far side of the valley, these are more cartoonish, but still out of the negative part.

Moriuncannyvalley.gif

Many nextgen games have literally had people that looked like zombie's, games like ME have people that look slightly better, but not quite real. These I feel are a step above that, into the realm of looking normal, i.e. they do not trigger the uneasy feeling associated with the uncanny valley, that doesn't mean I think they look perfectly real, it's a curve.

And LB, there's nothign like this in realtime gfx right now, trying playign some sometime and you'll see :p I'm not talking technically, just the lifelike nature of their faces.

When whoever-it-was was researching the topic of Uncanny Valley and came up with that graph, where did they find zombies for their test cases so they knew where to mark them on the graph?

Shifty Geezer,

They borrowed a few from Umbrella Corporation.

Everyone,

How expensive is it to use sub surface scattering to prevent models from looking plastic?

Shifty Geezer,

They borrowed a few from Umbrella Corporation.

Everyone,

How expensive is it to use sub surface scattering to prevent models from looking plastic?

more importantly how expensive are pixel shader programs that will give us reasonable looking approximations. sss algorithims used by dreamworks for instance wouldn't be feasable.

She'd make 99.9999% of people believe she was real already! Absolutely awesome work, though not at all of any use to games...

Interestingly, on these 'what most people need to see to think it looks real' remarks, I've had PS2 games where people have said they thought it was real TV!

Probably, but I still think that if someone takes a bit more time to look at the picture, and if he sees the eyes he will know there is something not right. The eyes just dont have any life or emotion in them, they look hallow. Not that im trying to say I could do a better job. I'm already happy that I can model a half assed car in 3dmax I can just hope that ill ever have half the skills to make something lik this.

Full implementation for SSS requires raytracing at the moment, which isn't feasible at all.

Approximations share one thing: they all look wrong. They give a different quality to the skin surfaces, but it won't be real or believable. Look at Gears of War for an example of what's possible today.

What is the closest pixel shading program that simulates sub surface scattering?

Can anyone provide a link to ANY GAME CHARACTER that in real time utilizes sub surface scattering?

Back