New Resistance: Fall Of Man Screens

Hopefully the gameplay balance was designed for 30fps.

Games like GRAW and appearantly Gears of War (i.e. more tactical FPS) work fine with a solid 30fps, but a game like UT2007, TimeSplitters, etc really need the blazing framerate for the gameplay to be enjoyable. SP looks like they had already had 30fps in mind so hopefully it is a good transition that does not negatively impact gameplay. Not that most people would notice, although there were a lot of posts in May about all these 60fps launch games and maybe even being 1080p60 at launch and how important that was back then... But nah, I am too nice to bring that up ;)

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing how they have designed their MP gameplay and some of their modes. I hope a) they support extra input controls and b) they have a unique combat system with some neat modes that have a lot of teamwork and replay value that extends for years. There are a lot of repetitive shooters out there and only the cream of the crop dominate the few old school gameplay modes, so it is nice to see new games try new things that challenge our perception of online gaming and give us a new experience that is a ton of fun. Hopefully Resistance can provide that. With UT2007 coming to the PS3 it looks like PS3 owners may have a couple high quality FPS right out of the gate which is a BIG positive change from the PS2. Good stuff and I am sure getting NV onboard really helps with this.

Bad_Boy said:
I take it you were planning on buying the game for its multiplayer/online gameplay then?

Not at all - I was planning to buy it because from the footage I have seen, it seems to be a very solid first-person-shooter. Packet together with Insomniacs efforts on PS2 (I loved the Ratchet & Clank games), I thought a 60 fps framerate would have been one of their primary targets for *any* game they make. Solid first-person-shooter + 60 fps == must buy for me.

Perhaps I am more disappointed by the fact that a developer that was commited to making 60 fps games on PS2 is now emphasizing on better graphics at the expense of framerate - a substitute I firmly belief should not be allowed to make. If every game developer had to stick to making solid 60 fps games (regardless of the genre), perhaps the visuals would not be as astounding but I'd argue the game experience would be equally as rewarding.

I passed on KillZone, Black, Red Fraction, Halo all because of framerate. I'm not going to hesitate to pass on Resistance as well. :devilish:

[/rant]

-multiplayer has gone from 32 players to 40 players

40 players spamming nades, bullets, vehicles, voice chat, radio commands and whatever else....er who's hosting the servers? I'll be curious to see how good the net code is to deal with all that plus latency issues from 40players connected from all over the net.

Phil said:
Well to be fair, the MP was the only thing orginally planned to be 60FPS. Not SP. Thats why I asked the question I did. But I cant knock your opinion, some like 60fps over better graphics, and some like better graphics over 60fps. Lets just all agree and hope that the game is a very SMOOTH 30fps. ;)

RobertR1 said:

40 players spamming nades, bullets, vehicles, voice chat, radio commands and whatever else....er who's hosting the servers? I'll be curious to see how good the net code is to deal with all that plus latency issues from 40players connected from all over the net.
Yeah it could be a number of things on why the number went up to 40. Maybe they found some extra power in the cell? Maybe they figured the drop from 60fps to 30fps could get them some more players. Maybe the netcode has improved since?

Anyways, the meltdown mode sounds alot like the ut2k4 gameplay mode, I am really wondering if they will have vehicles. 32 players was already a good number for a console, Im also wondering the map sizes they have planned.

Bad_Boy said:
.... Maybe they figured the drop from 60fps to 30fps could get them some more players. Maybe the netcode has improved since?
yea ... I think netcode and the frame rate drop to 30 were the most important factors in creating a quality online gaming experience

RobertR1 said:

hey man you hit the bullseye !!! its gonna be horrible, sweet jesus!
sony and its devs only started gaming bizz like, yesterday! the noobs are tottaly doomed. I mean, sony never launched a game system before and we ALL know insomaniac is a bakery store that makes game code while the ovens heat up.

God, i dont wanna see. mommy!

shock.jpg

seriously. whats wrong with some of you.

Damn, 40 players is going to be nice. I like it when developers puts more freedom in the hands of players to choose the most ideal amount of players. Insomniac ftw.

Lookin' good, but not precisely thrilling me yet. (Not that console FPS'es do.)

I at least hope we'll get a decent amount more physics and destructability! The more physics and destructability, the happier I get. ^_^

ok

3roxor said:
I hope they give the textures some work but already looks OKE. Are these from a newer build?

I also feel it looks ok but not great. Many feature like self-shadow, more per-pixel shader, etc is not there. For me graphics is not like 30fps game. I look at amazing Heavenly Sword graphics with super lighting and shadow, breaking environment (not as much but is there), etc and for me this is only ok, but not amazing for same frame-rate. Has very little pixel shader look.

Whoa...did anybody check the new psm 13 page article on Resistance? There are scans about if you havent already bought the mag. The game definately looks better than the e3 build gameplay wise, artistically, and graphically. It's a great read and gives you alot of details my orginal post on the PSM article did not. After the article, I gotta say I'm now absolutely sure I'm buying this game at launch. I dont see how they could mess it up between now and november. I always knew there was a bunch of stuff we still did not know about the game due to sony keeping things hush hush, and the article definately confirms theres more than meets the eye.

I probably sound like a abnoxious kid rambling about how the great this game will be, I wont go that far, but I will say I'm definately excited more than I ever was about the game. Check the article out if you get a chance.

Yes, I have the issue sitting infront of me. :D

Anyone interested in this game I recommend getting this issue of PSM. An excellent preview on Resistance to say the least.

I've never been more interested in this game until some details were let loose in this preview. It's definately a must buy FPS for the PlayStation 3's launch, IMO. :smile:

Heres some details from the article...

- All the languages will be present on the same disc, for example you could buy the game in america, and have japanese/german/italian/spanish/etc. voices.
-Insomniac plans on using blu-ray to the fullest, like including all languages like mentioned above on one worldwide disc (saving the company money), emphasizing not hearing the same voices (such as soldier dialog)/animations over and over, not down sampling audio, etc.
- The player will be able to include/understand the language of extraterrestrial starting from a certain point of the play.
- The killed enemies will not disappear, their bodies will remain on the ground. So if you leave an area and come back later the bodies will still be there.
- The 6 axis function of PS3 will be used many ways that are being kept secret right now, but gave one example of being able to shake the controller to get a monster off of you.
- There are indeed building sized monsters. In one example PSM tested, there was the giant spider from the e3 2005 trailer. Soon humans came into play with there own mechanical spider to fight it in the scene. Almost "Godzilla vs Mecha-godzilla" like.
- plans of using the hard drive, though it did not say any specific examples
- main character is nathan hale, and will have backup intellegence from rachel parker. (full bio's in article, covering the backstory and how they get into the situation)
-war of the worlds type creatures seen throwing humans hundreds of feet down in holes in the PSM playtest
-you can sneak up behind the aliens. having the flashlight on may alert the creatures that you are there.
-in mp, melee damage takes about half your life away, two hits and all of your life. one hit from behind you will take all of your life also.
-theres a part where proximety mines come out and hover over the ground a random height. you must duck or jump over the shrapnel sent your way depending on the height of the mine.
-"howlers"... man sized dog beasts with huge jaws would tackle soldiers to the ground
-rag doll death animations. for example, in their test a sniper alien was shot down over a balcony getting his foot caught on the way down, hanging there.
-hero moments, chances to save your comrades from up close attacks. many different scripted animations to make you feel like a champ if you save the victim.
-cut scenes will be black and white like the concept art shown before, but actually realtime graphics...then they will seamlessly fade into the gameplay. (described as gritty black+white photos that fade into full motion scenes which lead directly into gameplay.)
-no word if the game will be shipped with a headset or offered outside the game, or bundled with the console.
-weapons: MSA2 carbine, Rossmore 236, Bullseye (taging gun), Auger(energy weapon that shoots through solid objects, or can be used as a sheid w/ secondary fire), M54 Law (shoot a missle that you can guide with a laser almost hl2 like, but you can freeze the missile in the air and fire off mini missles using alt fire), Sapper (shoots small globs that you can pile up into any shape you want, shooting the glob will set off a chain reaction of explosions), grenades (normal, and hedgehog grenades). More weapons not yet known also (they say this list is only half of the known weapons). Mentioned you can man a turret and spray down enemies.

Theres A lot more I know I missed, I definately recommend you read the article like dodo3 said. Its a great read regardless if you are looking forward to the game or not. Sorry about the typos, im sure there are plenty. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad_Boy said:
Heres some details from the article...

- All the languages will be present on the same disc, for example you could buy the game in america, and have japanese/german/italian/spanish/etc. voices.
-Insomniac plans on using blu-ray to the fullest, like including all languages like mentioned above on one worldwide disc (saving the company money), emphasizing not hearing the same voices (such as soldier dialog)/animations over and over, not down sampling audio, etc.
- The player will be able to include/understand the language of extraterrestrial starting from a certain point of the play.
- The killed enemies will not disappear, their bodies will remain on the ground. So if you leave an area and come back later the bodies will still be there.
- The 6 axis function of PS3 will be used many ways that are being kept secret right now, but gave one example of being able to shake the controller to get a monster off of you.
- There are indeed building sized monsters. In one example PSM tested, there was the giant spider from the e3 2005 trailer. Soon humans came into play with there own mechanical spider to fight it in the scene. Almost "Godzilla vs Mecha-godzilla" like.
- plans of using the hard drive, though it did not say any specific examples
- main character is nathan hale, and will have backup intellegence from rachel parker. (full bio's in article, covering the backstory and how they get into the situation)
-war of the worlds type creatures seen throwing humans hundreds of feet down in holes in the PSM playtest
-you can sneak up behind the aliens. having the flashlight on may alert the creatures that you are there.
-in mp, melee damage takes about half your life away, two hits and all of your life. one hit from behind you will take all of your life also.
-theres a part where proximety mines come out and hover over the ground a random height. you must duck or jump over the shrapnel sent your way depending on the height of the mine.
-"howlers"... man sized dog beasts with huge jaws would tackle soldiers to the ground
-rag doll death animations. for example, in their test a sniper alien was shot down over a balcony getting his foot caught on the way down, hanging there.
-hero moments, chances to save your comrades from up close attacks. many different scripted animations to make you feel like a champ if you save the victim.
-cut scenes will be black and white like the concept art shown before, but actually realtime graphics...then they will seamlessly fade into the gameplay. (described as gritty black+white photos that fade into full motion scenes which lead directly into gameplay.)
-no word if the game will be shipped with a headset or offered outside the game, or bundled with the console.
-weapons: MSA2 carbine, Rossmore 236, Bullseye (taging gun), Auger(energy weapon that shoots through solid objects, or can be used as a sheid w/ secondary fire), M54 Law (shoot a missle that you can guide with a laser almost hl2 like, but you can freeze the missile in the air and fire off mini missles using alt fire), Sapper (shoots small globs that you can pile up into any shape you want, shooting the glob will set off a chain reaction of explosions), grenades (normal, and hedgehog grenades). More weapons not yet known also (they say this list is only half of the known weapons). Mentioned you can man a turret and spray down enemies.

Theres A lot more I know I missed, I definately recommend you read the article like dodo3 said. Its a great read regardless if you are looking forward to the game or not. Sorry about the typos, im sure there are plenty. :)

Wow that really does sound interesting. I'll keep an eye out on this.

Bad_Boy said:
That's a really nice feature, and hopefully will become standard for PS3. Giving people the option to listen to their native language rather than learnt language is definitely a good thing. Non repeating voices is also very welcome.

I assume all of Sony's 1st party games will be doing the one sku disc. Phil harrison talked about it in an old interview, and Im just guessing that this is first of many titles to confirm that kind of approach on development/manufacturing. Like you say, hopefully this will become standard amoung all game companies if not already.

edit:

heres an example of what the cut scenes will look like...
41261420060601_021011_4_big.jpg

41261420060601_021010_0_big.jpg

text from the article about it..
The cinematics have a unique style to them: gritty, black-and-white still photos fade into full motion action scenes, which lead directly into gameplay. since the in-game graphics are so detailed, the story scenes use them for everything. Cinemas appear often, between each level and even between the different chapters of each level. The player also receives radio messages during combat, and many scripted story sequences will play out in the heat of battle while the player is still in control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back