New Resistance: Fall Of Man Screens

For not in-game, PR screens they are very average indeed.

The E3 videos looked much better. The lighting in these shots looks oddly somehow flatter than what I remember from the videos, also especially the modelling/texturing of friendly soldiers looks worse.

Odd they should release PR shots that look that much worse than the playable code.

There probably should be multiple lights even, so it should be multiple shadows.
But maybe the other lights have been shot!
But with that single light, I don't think the shadows are that much off

rabidrabbit said:
There probably should be multiple lights even, so it should be multiple shadows.
But maybe the other lights have been shot!

See an eye doctor. NOW.

The shadows are in the exact opposite orientation that they should be.

EDIT: Thats the other thing, lights in this game are indestructable. Instead, when you shoot them they swing! :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nooo, they're mostly under the character, as the light is above.
Slightly in front, as the light is behind.

The boxes I think cast an accurate enough shadow too, for a videogame.

rabidrabbit said:

The light is quite clearly IN FRONT OF THE BOXES. As such, the shadows shoould be on the reverse side from where they are. It seems like the game is only utilizing one light source to cast shadows.

rabidrabbit said:

I think he is talking about the ammo boxes behind the character as much as he is the character shadow (which is off too). Basically all the shadows are casting from the wall/electric panel direction, yet there is no light there.

That said, yes there are some flaws in the shots (some low AF in areas, low poly in others, flat lighting/shadowing in some scenes, some graphical bugs) but it is not super bad either.

- The cieling has some very nicely detailed chipping paint, same here
- There always seems to be a lot of detail on screen, be it electric sockets, lights, shafts, catwalks, etc
- The aliens are kind of unique and have decent texturing, and have nice scale in some places
- Objects in the distance looks nice and clear
- The game looks to be very busy at times

Sure, it may not be as cutting edge in gameplay as FarCry or Half-Life 2 were, relatively, when they were released in 2004 but then again few games are. The CoD games really made a niche for themselves with excellent scripting, pacing, and action and it seems this game follows something similar. And the graphical quality and style reminds me a lot of CoD2 on the Xbox 360, and we all know how well that game did (if you don't: it sold VERY well). And if E3 2005 footage is anything to go by, this game should have some REALLY intense battles, large monsters, and the particle effects already look pretty solid.

Graphically they have 3-4 months before they need to go gold. If they are following the path GRAW did (i.e. global feature implimentation) we could see some changes, for the better, in the next couple months.

But like I said before, FPS is a very loaded genre. Easy to get lost in the mix, especially for a newer franchise. Standing out in graphics or gameplay in a significant way is pretty important to separate yourself from the million versions of portware and B-level games.

rabid said:

The boxes are clearly casting a shadow away from the wall and there is no light on the wall. Even if the overhead light was over the near edge of the box the shadows should not be protruding into the light "spotlight".

Last edited by a moderator:
weaksauce said:
that's gameplay from last year

Opps! My apologies. :p I assumed they were target renders, or from target footage due to the "work in progress" on the image and that they look much further along in development than the other shots. Although, I haven't seen any screens that capture the look of the game as displayed in the E3 O6' trailer (Official E3 2006 Trailer (06/02/2006)). As someone already stated, the screens don't do the game justice.

Dull and uninspired looking...but then again I can't really think of a FPS that isn't. Crysis is the only one that has visually wowed me.

I would have to agree that those shots aren't inspiring, but from what I have seen in the video's, I don't think they present a good representation of what the actual game looks like.

Not really concerned. For a launch title, with a buttload going on and supposed rock solid framerate, it's a very nice looking title.

I think it's the Doom3 lack of colouring that makes it appear a bit dull as well, although in a war torn city-scape, I would imagine too many daisy's sprouting up.

Back