New Resistance: Fall Of Man Screens

Screens really dont do this game much justice. I thought the e3 trailer looked pretty good...
http://www.us.playstation.com/Content/OGS/GMID-018/Site/ Has LOTS going on at once, even the camera movements seem to add to the gritty warlike feeling. I also wonder if the game will feature blood, and maybe they just turned off all the gory stuff till the final game ships. Game seems too violent for no blood to be there.

What's with draining all the color out of these PS3 games. After looking at this, HS, and MGS4, there is a lack of pop for me that I'm used to seeing in video games. Maybe that's the problem with being an old school Sega and Nintendo guy.

Rockster said:
What's with draining all the color out of these PS3 games. After looking at this, HS, and MGS4, there is a lack of pop for me that I'm used to seeing in video games. Maybe that's the problem with being an old school Sega and Nintendo guy.

I noticed that too...I thought it was just me...Not that there's anything wrong of being color drained. :D

Color

Rockster said:

I think MGS4 and Resistance is like dusty and cloudy and so has not so many colors like Killzone. I feel HS has amazing colors.

Rockster said:
It's just an art direction choice on some games. MGS4, Resistance: Fall Of Man, all WWII games... but there's plenty of colouful games too; The new Naughty Dog game (with the guy in the jungle), Warhawk, FFXIII, Unreal Tournament 2007, 8 days, Everybody's Golf, most sports games...
It's not that these next gen consoles aren't capable of more than shades of muted colors, it's because they're trying to more closely simulate the real world environments, where bright primary colors aren't everywhere you look.

I dont think MGS4 will have the whole game in one specific color tone. Kojima mentioned that there will be several locations in the game the player will go to and that in the newest trailer he had more than one location but deliberately changed the scene colors to trick the viewer. It was just to give the viewer a sence that the entire trailer was based in the middle east. It's in the new PSM scans.

And the demo from TGS probably adds to the fact of how easy he changed the scene's color tone, so I wouldnt be surprised if he wants to play with that in the final game. I would love to see a mix of one color scenes like the movie Hero, and a mix of realistic color tones. And I really wouldnt be surprised if that happens, he will probably bring back all the color tones from the previous games and some.

This is the demo I am reffering to:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Akw0qM5XNM0&search=kojima demo

Last edited by a moderator:
In the new PSM they have some new details about the progress of the game.

basically...
-the game was 30fps for SP, 60fps for MP, now the game is ALL 30FPS
-the game is getting some graphical upgrades, more environment distruction and other special effects
-multiplayer has gone from 32 players to 40 players
-multiplayer includes: deathmatch, co-op, meltdown mode (think of ut2k4 nodes)
-levels will be scaled accordingly and have balanced weapon placement
-will support full voice chat
-weapon-spawn pods are circled by a series of lights that count down to the time a weapon will reappear.
-The radar in the upper-right corner of the screen shows all nearby enemies and allies unless they are slowly crouch-walking or standing still without firing.
-there is jumping in the game, but on a smaller, more realistic scale
-many different configurations to play fair ranked matches.
-some maps will have fans placed in the ground where it makes you hover in the air
-You can Play as either a human or a Chimeran Hybrid (pretty sure talking about mp)

on the meltdown mode
Meltdown is an extension of another mode called "Node," in which two teams race to take over as many nodes as possible. Nodes are large chambers that contain several cylinders, you can re-configure the nodes for your team. Once you control a node, you can choose to re-spawn there after you die, adding strategy to the order in which your team goes after them. Meltdowns adds the twist that these nodes are actually coolants for each team's base, so by taking them over, you're overheating the enemy's headquaters. At certain heat levels a base's defenses will temporarily go down, allowing the opposing team to get inside and deal major damage.
I would assume they might include vehicles.

on the ranked matches
There will also be the option to play unranked matches where the player will be able to configure the game however he wants by tweaking areas such as hit points, weapon sets, and much more. Popular player-created configurations may even be made into official new modes by Insomniac and offered as downloads. Conversely, ranked matches will have very limited configurations to keep the playing field level and fair for everone.

they did stress that a big focus is being put on smart matchmaking, so that a new player who buys Resistance a year after launch will be able to play without having to get torn apart by the guys who bought the game on day one.

on the fans in the ground
Flat, circular fans are embedded in the ground in various places, and walking over one will launch you up to a higher area, one fun strategy we found was to balance ourselves at the top of the column of air, hovering there while firing down at enemies below; the up-and-down bobbing motion can make you a hard target.

Last edited by a moderator:
The game is sounding more appealing every time a new piece of info pops up. I don't really care about the framerate that much, so long as it's fairly consistent.

Thanks for the info.

Bad_Boy said:
-the game was 30fps for SP, 60fps for MP, now the game is ALL 30FPS
-the game is getting some graphical upgrades, more environment distruction and other special effects

Shame on you Insomniac. Shame on you! You just turned a potentially must buy into a definite non-purchase for me. :rolleyes:

Guess it will be backwards-compatibility and TimeSplitters all the way for me. :???:

out of interest, why would 30fps be an issue? surely if it's solid 30fps then that's better than an inconsistant 60fps? Of course we'd all love 60fps...but that will come :)

Bad_Boy said:
In the new PSM they have some new details about the progress of the game.
Most of it looks rather cool. The radar thing with people going invisible under certain circumstances is a VERY neat idea, which I'm sure smart players will be able to exploit to great advantage.

I like the team-play possibilities also, with the taking over stuff and such, that's always a lot more fun to me than all people vs. everybody else straight-up deathmatching. Now, if only they offered a CLASS system too, but I guess I have to wait until Quake Wars next year for that... *sigh*

Phil said:
Shame on you Insomniac. Shame on you! You just turned a potentially must buy into a definite non-purchase for me. :rolleyes:

Guess it will be backwards-compatibility and TimeSplitters all the way for me. :???:
I take it you were planning on buying the game for its multiplayer/online gameplay then?

Well, my dream for 60Fps launch games doesn't come true. Still getting more and more interested in this game. Graphical upgrades I like!

i will be extremely pleased and surprised if they are able to keep a rock solid framerate of 30fps with 40 players online, that would be quite an achievement.

Angelcurio said:
i will be extremely pleased and surprised if they are able to keep a rock solid framerate of 30fps with 40 players online, that would be quite an achievement.

But maybe that's why they dropped MP down to 30fps. They could have been finding that they were getting unstable framerates, and they found that 40 players was the most they could have to have a minimum 30fps and hence target 30fps.

Back