New PS2 F1 Game

Ha-HA! I think I'm somewhat getting this stuff. After pondering your last response, I thought for a minute if there would be any implications for flicker...and here you touch on exactly that in your next post!

Faf, so what is BG:DA using then? Are they offseting each field by 0.5 pixels or just 2x downsampling, since they have 480 pixels tall buffer?

http://forum.granturismo.com/showthread.php?threadid=73831

GPC Early Impressions
Only just scratching the surface, here are some early, early, impressions. Note: I am using a DS2 pad. There is no mention of any support for FF wheels on the back of the box, options menu or manual, but that's not to say it doesn't support wheels, I just can't be bothered to dig out my GT Force wheel out to test it.

After getting past all the usual pre-menu stuff (great intro btw) I follow my usual proceedure and jump straight in to the options menu to set the game to widescreen, but to my surprise the game had read my dashboard setting and done it for me (it gets an extra point for that). After setting up my pad for right stick gas/brake I go tackle a quick race. I select A1-Ring, as that first corner is usually a killer for AI. I'm then given a choice of AI difficulty, in which I take the middle ground and go for medium. Now to select a team and driver. Not being a big fan of anyone inparticular I go for Jenson Button (ok so I'm patriotic when it comes to racing). After that you can choose your handling level from beginner, intermediate and expert. Taking the middle ground a second time I head out on to the track.

The loading times are pretty quick.

On the track the first thing I notice is the game suffers from some bad refresh flicker (because the game is running in a high resolution). Now this might differ from TV-to-TV, but was definitely noticable at first glance for me. Anyway, the countdown gets under way and we're off, and to my amazment there isn't a single frame dropped, despite there being 21 cars burning rubber right in front of me. Incredible! But more on the graphics later. The pack gets to the first corner and I end up spinning out as a result of not being in an F1 handling frame of mind (been playing NFS: HP2 solidly for the last couple of weeks). With no chance of catching the pack up I decide to test the handling out a bit. Let me tell you, the handling in GPC is head and shoulders above any other F1 console game I've played. It just feels so smooth, not super sensitive like some other F1 titles I could care to mention, and you actually feel like you are getting feedback from the car. The physics seem equally as good. Developers of other F1 games seem to think these cars are super light, well I suppose they are compared to a standard road car, but 600kg isn't all that light when a few lateral G's are being applied to it and you really feel this through the cars handling.

Three laps later and the race is over. Time to test out the graphics engine with a replay. Once again expecting there to be some framerate stuttering at the start, there's not a single frame dropped. I should point out that the camera is also moving upwards giving you a birdseye view of the whole start/finish straight, without any sign of popup. As all the cars get to the first corner I notice something. Not a one car goes off, and there's hardly any clashing of wheels or bodywork (well no more than a real race anyway), and not a single sign of wacky AI behaviour. That in itself is a bloody miracle! Job well done guys. Anyway continuing on the subject of graphics the level of detail, not to mention attention to detail, is outstanding. There's all kinds of little trackside details, such as flares going off in the stands, national flags waving and even a TV helicopter flying around the track getting a birdseye view of the action, it all helps to create an immersive atmosphere.

That's all for now.

That's pretty weird if the screen flickers considering they are rendering at 640x960, thus antialiasing it *and* de-interlacing it :\

Really weird... Actually, that resolution seem more optimized for NTSC display than PAL when I think about it (960/2 = 480).

Also, how come that guy with wide screen TV gets flicker, isn't every wide screen TV supposed to have progressive scan/deinterlacer? (maybe not in Europe?)

What kind of refresh rates are supported in various HDTV widescreen modes? Are they all still at 60 Hz or do they go higher?

randycat99 said:
What kind of refresh rates are supported in various HDTV widescreen modes? Are they all still at 60 Hz or do they go higher?

480i is 60Hz interlaced.

480p is pure 60Hz. "progressive"

720p (DTV) is also pure 60Hz...

And 1080i (HDTV) is 60Hz interlaced.

nice interview... I've read a few things from the GranTurismo Board about what Carter said at the time, and it's got to be seen to be believed. It's truly a remarkable sight seeing all 22 cars infront of you with rain and wet tracks and an unstoppable 60 fps framerate with all the particle effects.

Graphically stunning, for sure.

Phil said:
nice interview... I've read a few things from the GranTurismo Board about what Carter said at the time, and it's got to be seen to be believed. It's truly a remarkable sight seeing all 22 cars infront of you with rain and wet tracks and an unstoppable 60 fps framerate with all the particle effects.

well i dont see what the fuss is all about regarding the screenshots. The Getaway in Progressive Scan more looks pretty damn near that image quality. same thing for Primal. If they include a Progressive scan option then it will be awesome

london-boy said:
Phil said:

well i dont see what the fuss is all about regarding the screenshots. The Getaway in Progressive Scan more looks pretty damn near that image quality. same thing for Primal. If they include a Progressive scan option then it will be awesome

I suppose they can provide progressive output if they want to, since the man said the game is rendering at 960 lines internally.

And the screenshots were too badly taken, weaving the lines together is a real bad way to capture a frame when there is motion, Gamespot should learn to use DScaler.

From the interview..

This was very difficult. In the end it meant discovering a special graphics technique of PS2 that nobody else seems to yet know about. Basically it means we have almost twice the polygon and simulation capacity of any other PS2 title.

:oops: :?: :?:

On the track the first thing I notice is the game suffers from some bad refresh flicker

I've seen the game and can confirm this.

The game is fast, 60fps, lots of polys but the flicker is bad. Not as bas as in Ridge Racer V tho.

GP Challenge has been out in the UK for a long time, since last Nov. I picked up the game based on the hype in the various forums I read.

I have to say I was very disappointed. The Sony Forumla 1 game is a lot better that GP Challenge.

The graphics for GP Challenge are not very good, despite what everyone might say. They are very ragged and don't look particularly high resolution.

I don't wish to be the bringer of bad news but I don't think the game is that impressive.

Reviews in the UK gaming press back this view up. I tried to see what all the fuss was about, but could not. A case of the emperors new clothes.

I am a Sony fanbody, I don't own an Xbox or Gamecube, I wanted GP Challenge to be great, but it isn't.

Nick Laslett said:
GP Challenge has been out in the UK for a long time, since last Nov. I picked up the game based on the hype in the various forums I read.

I have to say I was very disappointed. The Sony Forumla 1 game is a lot better that GP Challenge.

The graphics for GP Challenge are not very good, despite what everyone might say. They are very ragged and don't look particularly high resolution.

I don't wish to be the bringer of bad news but I don't think the game is that impressive.

Reviews in the UK gaming press back this view up. I tried to see what all the fuss was about, but could not. A case of the emperors new clothes.

I am a Sony fanbody, I don't own an Xbox or Gamecube, I wanted GP Challenge to be great, but it isn't.

REALLY!!! then it must be crap because i've not heard about it at all!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nick Laslett said:

I have to support this. I was very happy to get this game, but the mixed mags reactions, 50Hz and black borders in the PAL version (a shame considering LeMans was 60Hz), bad flickering and pretty much all this guy is saying.

Maybe next version will be better.

My only difference, I do not think sony f1 is good either, so I will be without f1 racer until a correct game comes next year.

Back