New PS2 F1 Game

Looks nice I suppose, about as exciting as a F1 game CAN look. Car models seem to be well-made, tracks look nice too. Water spray on the wet tracks also looks good, and hopefully damage will be handled realistically too with bits and pieces flying off when colliding with stuff! Put those vector units to work, hehe!

Problem is, those screenies aren't PS2 screens, or they are PS2 screens that have been heavily polished afterwards. They simply look WAY too clean.

Bummer, eh!

*G*

Grall said:
Problem is, those screenies aren't PS2 screens, or they are PS2 screens that have been heavily polished afterwards. They simply look WAY too clean.

Bummer, eh!

*G*

:)
He actually posted in the GT3 forums and confirmed it was PS2 screens so....

Info...

Just a note on the antialiasing - I can't let too many of our techniques out, but the game runs at 640X960 pixel resolution - realtime supersampling. Almost all 'normal' PS2 games are still using 640X480 and the original early ones were a two raw fields of 640X224 - so we have a 4X improvement in resolution compared to early PS2 games and 2X most of the current others (including games on other console platforms).

Let me link you:
http://forum.granturismo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71733
http://forum.granturismo.com/showth...ace4a5&threadid=72843&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Reading some more of his comments he says:

A few stats for you,

Raw car model - 8000 Polys
With reflections / lighting - 20000 polys

Total max displayed on screen including all cars / scenery 200,000 - 300,000 @ 60fps in game depending on the scene.

Firstly I'd like to absolutely guarantee you that these screenshots are indeed taken from the PS2. You will get absolutely this and then some from the actual game and in fact these shots are taken directly from the game several weeks ago prior to final graphics. I should explain that the reason for the apparently high resolution of the screens is that our graphics engine generates images internally at a higher resolution than your TV can natively display. So the final on TV image is the antialiased result of the high resolution image you are seeing on your PC monitor. With its final lighting, the real, final game on PS2 really does look better than these today. It’s not like a certain other recently released PS2 racer!

Holy hell! The videos look like real F1, minus the obvious MPEG compression artefacts and pixillation... :eek:

Damn, now I have TWO reasons to buy a PS2... o_O

Addendum: By the way, it looks like the cars are goraudshaded where there aren't ads, which is where most of the poly budget went, it seems. That would explain most of the great performance.

I've just watched the video of the Monaco track. It's really pretty amazing what they've acomplished here...

Btw, Tangrineth, cars seem textured exactly where you would expect them to be, so I don't understand what else should they do than make other parts of the car just colored / shaded? Cars also display environment maps, so in every moment every part of the car actually is textured.

It should be noted that there is car damage and different car handling schemes. Basicly Arcade to Sim.

i need to try it and "feel" it.

As I noted in the GT3 thread, that 640x960 supersampling scheme really seems to do the trick. It takes out the jaggies effectively w/o overly softening the image- a nice middleground. As a bonus, it even saves on computation resources over the traditional 2-way AA (horizontal and vertical).

On the flipside, it seems the PS2 IQ is really coming of age these days. If they can do 640x960 @ 60 fps with vertical AA, it's probably not too far out of the way to do 1280x960 @ 30 fps and do FSAA on it for final output. It is just a developer choice at that point. It also opens the door to some HDTV formats for PS2, too. The prospects seem bright!

Any guesses if they are using the accumulation buffer to pull-off this trick or the not-so-oft recognized hardware AA on the GS? ...Or is it THE accumulation buffer that was intended for hardware AA, all along (the only requirement being that the game can be run at higher resolutions)?

it's probably not too far out of the way to do 1280x960 @ 30 fps and do FSAA on it for final output
Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance is doing something like that, and running at rock solid 60FPS. I think they are rendering the game in 1280x480, though, and downsampling that to 640x224, for an interlaced output. I have no idea why GPC develpers are not doing the same, and are instead basically doing the 4x vertical AA (for interlaced TV) without any horizontal AA. I gues if the game supports progressive scan TVs, that would really make a difference.

Looks like it's being done by Melbourne House. They did a pretty damn good job of Test Drive Le Mans on the DC (the PS2 port was weak). Looks like they've been able to get some quality time on an original title for the PS2...

Yes, it's Melbourne House. In that same granturismo.com forum thread, their programmer basically admits that PS2 version of LeMans was a quick cash in, and how they used 'dirty' methods to achieve the same thing dreamcast game did using it's hardware.

Marc,
BGDA runs 1280x960I. And id's speculate this F1 game is more likely running 640x960I as well - given that it's supposed to be very stable in framerate and all.

Anyway, looks nice, either way. Particularly their rendition of Monaco was interesting to see :)

Look like any other F1 games, I've played recently. Nothing special.

Now, if the dev hear me, please include the rule change for 2003.

Back