new lcd?

btwango

Newcomer
I presently own a Mitsubishi monitor with a 51 cm viewable diagonal.I have owned this monitor for approx 5 years and have been happy with it's function. I am considering purchasing a 24" LCD wide screen monitor. At this stage either a Samsung 244T or a Benq FP241W. I do not NEED a new monitor. The reason for my possible purchase is twofold. Widescreen and a new toy. These are the only two reasons. Imho the only practical advantage this purchase would be the widescreen part. I sit about a meter away from my current monitor.My primary use for the monitor is gaming , secondly web serving thirdly watching dvds. The potential disadvantages of a LCD include,but not limited to, one optimum res, ghosting, dead/bright pixels,rumour of lag (not sure about this one), uneven brightness. Now,from what i have read about the net, both monitors under consideration are supposed to be "quality" and largely dispense with the disadvantages i have mentioned.

Can people please tell me of their opinion of ownership of similar monitors to the ones i have mentioned?
If I purchase one of these monitors will i be thinking "omg! this is awesome! Game on!!" or will i be thinking "oh yeah, not bad, no big deal?"

Your thought would be much appreciated.
Btwango

LCD are more relaxing on the eyes in my opinion. Alot of people think the color is richer looking.

Honestly though i dont think anyone can or should answer that question for you. Money and the value of the product it can buy you is something that varies from person to person. You could be exremely pleased, maginally amused, or dissapointed. We cant predict that. There are a number of reviews for the models you mentioned though, they're quite popular, so check them out and see how it looks. I will say that LCD negatives you listed dont exist in those models with the exception of a little backlight bleeding causing the blacks to look pretty black instead of "dark as the pits of hell" (its going to happen no matter what). Lag (specifically mouse lag) is usually caused by the input used and/or the video drivers so you can fix that yourself if you find yourself lucky enough to have the problem. I've only heard of it once and not with either of the models you listed.

I have a Dell 2407W, and two 19 inch Samsung panels. When I got the Dell I was surprised by two things, I could easily see that the dell both had faster response time and that it wasn't an 8 bit panel.

Personally I love my Dell, but it wouldn't be my first choice for watching movies (part of it might be I sit to close to it), your mileage with it and other LCD's might vary.

Back