New IBM patents, CELL related(?)

Sorpresa Panajev. Ci è un tipo di dati 1024bit.

It's called "Public Key Encryption". ;)

It looks like I beat you to understanding this point.
= What is a BroadBand Engine? Why call a processor that?

According to my interpretation all of the PE units are broadband engines.
This is the reason I haven't adapted to Paul's interpretation of the Rambus contract.

The buss, PU and APU of a PE are the ideal size for Public Key Encryption (CoDeC).
The PU will definitely be a fullly featured 64bit Floating point processing unit.

IMO: Cell's goal is to create a native online environment, safe for commerce.
The Way a PE is designed eliminates a lot of overhead native to a secure network.
1024bit encryption needs to be accelerated for streaming applications.
Anyways you can learn a lot of this at http://www.MIPS.com

But to the point, there is in Fact a 1024bit data type.
And that it is very relivent to Cell's origin by design.

Gubbi,
If you are correcting me, I know that later quotes address exactly that of which you name.
But in the first quote about networks...I feel very strongly that my explanation is correct.

So Panajev,
Do you still believe the PU to be PPC440 based?
My money is on MIPS64 20Kc inspired.

I also feel that they will remain with Redhat Linux as the OS.
For now it is my guess that they are working version 7.1c
I hope that by the time of Release they will have a version 9c build.

David_South#1;

Your interpretation is incorrect. As I stated the last time we chatted, you're taking unrelated information and applying it in the wrong context and getting a result which is incorrect - insane I know.

The patent clearly called a specific implimentation of said architecture a "Broadband Engine". There is no ambiguity in this, there is no your interpretation or our interpretation. The syntax is clear and logical, there is a right and a wrong.

You're connecting MIPS to this due to fallicious means which aren't even tangentially related. Why would IBM, the company who has invested the most in human and montary resources in this project design an architecture built around MIPS? Especially with their recent moves to position the PowerPC architecture in the industry?

What your saying make no coherent sense. SCE/Sony used MIPS recently in the PSP - we can draw a line from their licensing to the PSP. SCE/Sony licensed PowerPC... where do you propose that's going?

Your disputing of the size of the eDRAM pathway is unbelievable in nature, it's like arguing that their is no sun. It's so asnine in nature, I can't even relate. Between the data granulatity and the fact that it's prefered embodiment is 64MB - what do you think they're talking about? 64MB of XDR with 2K pins on the packaging?!?!

With all due respect, this is a replay of when you claimed to know Cell prototype preformance and you really got the numbers from BlueGene. So, please.

David_South#1 said:
Sorpresa Panajev. Ci è un tipo di dati 1024bit.

It's called "Public Key Encryption". ;)

The key can be that long, but building a general purpose processing unit specially for supporting as native data 1,024 bits keys would be stupid: especially given all those nice SIMD optimized 128 bits APUs which are the real work-horse needin the bandwidth that a 1,024 bits fat data pipe would provide.

Nice change of argument though, it seems you have accepted that the DRAM they mention in those patent quotes stores indeed 1,024 bits blocks thanks to the 1,024 bits fat data pipe the DMAC uses to write to the Memory Banks through the Cross-bar switch.

It looks like I beat you to understanding this point.

No, you extrapolated a conclusion from a side-remark that I made and made your theory around it.

Is the Graphics Synthesizer optimized to do PKE work because of its twin 1,024 bits pipes to DRAM ;) ?

= What is a BroadBand Engine? Why call a processor that?

What is an Emotion Engine ? Why call a processor that ?

IMO: Cell's goal is to create a native online environment, safe for commerce.
The Way a PE is designed eliminates a lot of overhead native to a secure network.

It can do that too and it will do that too: the fact that CELL is so flexible and scalable to fit PDAs, TVs, set-op boxes, game consoles, Home Servers ;), more common Servers, etc... mantaining the same ISA and allowing computing as well as storage resources to be shared on a network already makes a big step into allowing much of the ovehead of network inter-operation to be taken away.

So Panajev,
Do you still believe the PU to be PPC440 based?
My money is on MIPS64 20Kc inspired.

I also feel that they will remain with Redhat Linux as the OS.
For now it is my guess that they are working version 7.1c
I hope that by the time of Release they will have a version 9c build.

I do not believe IBM to be working on a MIPS solution, take that as you want to take it :p.

Back