New High-Res Gears of War Screens

blakjedi said:
I actually dont believe those come from in-game models but rather art assets from which the lower complexity in-game models are derived.

They are clearly normal mapped. The multi-million source meshes wouldn't work on the hardware... certainly not that many of them.

I'm quite sure that it's simply ingame model in both images, but it has been upgraded in the time between the two screenshots. UT2007 models also have that complex skin shader, look at the Malcolm images. The source art hasn't changed much, it's mostly the shaders and lighting that got better.

Incrementally updating and tweaking art is pretty common in game development. One of the Star Trek Voyager FPS games had three of four complete passes on the hero character, those were a lot more drastic changes.

Here, I've found the image:
r021213_01.jpg

http://www.ritualistic.com/content.php/interviews/030127_bobo.php

UPDATE:

Four of the six have been confirmed to be “in-gameâ€￾ shots, http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000867059479/
"We’ve just received a batch of six new images from Microsoft for the Xbox 360 title Gears of War. Four of the six have been confirmed to be “in-gameâ€￾ shots, but we should note that the other two concept-art pics (numbers 3 and 4) are rendered drawings that aren’t in the game itself.

As for the actual screenshots received, they appear to serve as a counter measure to the extreme media attention given to the screens, trailers, and related magazine scans of Metal Gear Solid 4 (for the PS3) coming out of the Tokyo Game Show this past week. "
The "4th" one must be this, although I had written it off as concept art:
http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1167/full-res/1127159460.jpg

i still don't believe that'snot concept art, unless it's the opening story using paintings or some other static image to tell the story.

That's a painting from John Wallin, I'm 100% sure. You can see the damn brush strokes, it certainly isn't realtime or 3D at all.

Ya it's obvously a painting, wierd that MS told them it was in-game. All I can think is it will be used in the game to set-up the story...

I think there was some sort of misscommunication, because that is definitly not real time or even CGed.

scooby_dooby said:
No, there are 4 in-game shots, 3 of which I already posted, the 4th ingame is labelled as #5 on joystik.
Ah, I see, you meant the 4th real in-game one MS introduced so, sorry.

scooby_dooby said:
No, there are 4 in-game shots, 3 of which I already posted, the 4th ingame is labelled as #5 on joystik.

#5 (Refinery2) is definately not in-game -- that is straight up art. Joystick only has 3 "in-game" pictures listed; #5 is as far from in-game as can be. It isn't the same style that the rest of the game is -- its a drawing (much like the other concept drawings epic released). Not sure why Joystick was told 4 of those were in-game -- there are only 3 that could be considered in-game.

Still, it stands that the three that are ingame look very impressive and pretty much confirm that Xbox 360 isn't a "1.5" system.

LunchBox said:
I'm guessing the pic from the right is an in-game cut scene while the one in the left is the actual game model?
I haven't followed every thing about this game, but the videos I've seen have mini cutscenes interspersed with actual game play, they use the same models but allow the camera to do things you wouldn't otherwise want it to do (like go away from the player for dramatic effect).

I'm not sure how a game full of that would be - maybe it gets old - but in the video it was fine and helped make it more than just a kill everything that moves type game. The bits where Cliffy B talked and then had translations done so the people in the audience could follow along, on the other hand, were just boring. ;)

Atsim said:
Still, it stands that the three that are ingame look very impressive and pretty much confirm that Xbox 360 isn't a "1.5" system.

They do, I don't think anyone is questioning that.

For clarification that Xbox1.5 comment was about peripheral features of the console (different slots, and features outside of just playing games, lack of HD optical drive, etc), not about the graphics the system could produce :p

Bobbler said:
They do, I don't think anyone is questioning that.

For clarification that Xbox1.5 comment was about peripheral features of the console (different slots, and features outside of just playing games, lack of HD optical drive, etc), not about the graphics the system could produce :p

Yeah, I know, but some people take it and use it in other ways.

Back